• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Year of the Veteran & commemorative pin to be worn by all CF pers

Whats your opinion of the " Year of the Veteran Pin worn by CF pers"

• Total voters
Jumper said:
All this bitching and moaning over a little remembrance pin, nefarious plots by the government and that statement "Screw spending money on vets..." WTF is your major malfunction? You are an officer in the CF right not some other country? (gotta be from Ont) You'd think they were asking us to wear a Nazi party pin. As for the rest of you, if your in the militia you only have to wear it two evenings a week and the occasional weekend, as for the regs I'll be proud to wear anything that reminds us and others of our vets past and present. Soldier on and quit whining

Feel better?   Would you like to say it to my face now?   Listen up Mr. Sanctimonious, I have never had any problem remembering those who have served before me and I don't need a pin to remember them now.   This is a forum for opinions and if you don't like mine then so be it.   You want to make it personal and take your little adolescent potshots at officers so be it.   That still doesn't change my opinion.

I have removed the word "twit" because it is not a very nice word and I really don't know if Jumper is actually a "twit".   He may be but I don't know that for sure.

Big Foot said:
Very well said, Jumper. Is it such a hardship to wear a pin with your uniform? Honestly.

I bet you'd cry to high heaven if you were the one paying for them.

You obviously didn't read any of the posts; perhaps take some time and read carefully through the objections; if you have any intelligent questions, feel free to ask. ;)

kincanucks said:
Feel better?   Would you like to say it to my face now?   Listen up Mr. Sanctimonious, I have never had any problem remembering those who have served before me and I don't need a pin to remember them now.   This is a forum for opinions and if you don't like mine then so be it.   You want to make it personal and take your little adolescent potshots at officers so be it.   That still doesn't change my opinion.

I have removed the word "twit" because it is not a very nice word and I really don't know if Jumper is actually a "twit".   He may be but I don't know that for sure.

Yes I fell better and you should know better than to make comments like that about vets.

:boring:

Are we done playing pokey chest and accusing eachother of hating veterans?

It seems like many are using this thread as a chance to take some sort of moral highground or something - try and remember that we are all on the same team here....

McG

I believe that your idea of an annual Veteran's Day is a good one! :)

I believe we all agree that that it is important to honour and respect the
veterans for their service to their country! :salute: :cdn:

I'm not sure how the thread was edited to add the poll and my subject headline being changed??  But I guess someone thought it needed to be voted on???  I think forum spoke for itself before vote was added..

note -- If you are going to change a thread at least have the grammar/spelling sorted out! and at least take credit for your change and advise the originator.

It was only my intention to post the article as it was interesting. I never imagined it would stir up the group as it has.  I thought for sure the posts would of revolved more around the new definition of "veteran" that has been recently made to include "all" of us.  (jury still out on that one) 

anyways motion to close...new business
Piker

When two threads are merged, if one had a poll then the new thread will have that poll.  There were two threads on this topic and now there is one.  Nobody has changed your posts.

What is the direction on airforce types wearing the pin on flying bases?

I think it's a great idea, except that are the Vets going to notice?!?!

Also, another point of view, on my BMQ course, about 1/3 of us don't have cap badges (the "cornflake") or slipons (not like we have rank anyway...), because there is a shortage. SO..... Why couldn't they have made enough capbadges and slipons? Seems like we could have done something different to commemorate the veterans...

Joe

As far as I have heard here in Cold Lake, we will be getting them issued to us sometime mid April. And we will be wearing them on all orders of dress.

As for flight line, chances are they are to be removed as they are FOD. And most wear coveralls anyways while working on the aircraft.

I received one today, most of the unit had theirs last week while I was away on HHT.

CFSATE was selling them for $3.00 a piece a few weeks ago. Then all of a sudden they had Airmen signing for them then saying don't loose them as we need them back.  My gripe with this are a few things, 1, why does the airforce always want to make a buck off its members, 2 why do i have to wear a pin to commemorate the Veteran, I think the Uniform i wear is a lot more appreciated by them, instead of a little hard to see lapel pin, why not send the troops out to the legions and organize a CF wide visit the veteran time, where every week Military members in uniform, with out getting sloshed go out and visit the veterans at the legions and hospitals and may be even their homes if they cannot get out.  3,  I thought that we were not suppose to puncture the new combat clothing with pins and such intentionally. hence why the poppy is located on the epaulet
I personally do not see why we have spent money on pins to wear when we have troops with out cap badges, even if they are QL2 and reservists. I am sure the veterans do like to see us wearing these pins when they get the chance to see us doing so, but i am also sure that our leaders could have found another way to have shown their appreciation to those well deserved Veterans. Good intentions but i feel it can be better received if we got to  to visit them, in uniform and where they spend their time. Cheers

Sorry Tess. ;D Couldn't resist restarting it. Just felt in that kind of a mood tonight ;)

I like the idea of a Veteran's Day.  Separate from rememberance day.

By the way, the government sets the policy - owns - Rememberance day, not the RCL.

To me, Rememberance Day is about the dead, not the living, and when I did a Nov 11 Presentation to a School in Edmonton a few years back, I spoke at length about the dead.

You have to watch the political correctness creeping in.  At the "Butterdome" ceremony in Edmonton, they played John Lennon's "Imagine".  I complained.  The Legion rep - some kid - didn't see the incongruity of remembering the men who saved our country by playing a song which - among other things - sees a glorious future with "and no religion, too."  I imagine some of our dead are rolling over in their graves. 

Also, there is a tendency to NOT use ALL of Col MaCrea's  poem.  Something about "Take up our quarrel with the foe/to you with failing hands we through/the torch be yours to hold it high..." etc.  And if we fail they shall not sleep in Flander's Fields.

Don't imagine they're sleeping too bloody well now, are they?

I guess that's why the last of the poem is considered "no longer relevant".

God help us all.

Okay - I just finished reading all six pages of this thread ... and maybe I missed it, but ...
Is there anybody else out there who would have preferred to have seen this pin issued to EVERY school child in Canada, instead of just the CF?  Wouldn't it have made more of an impact?  Wouldn't it have been more meaningful for our veterans if they were to see "Canada's future" wearing a visible sign of respect for those who served and defended Canada's freedom ... ?

The poppy quarter was a nice idea, but poorly executed (i.e. not enough minted, paint wore off, some Tim Horton's outlets "missed the point" by trying to force people to buy something in order to get a coin, people moaning and complaining, etc.)

This pin was ... an idea, but ... also poorly executed (i.e. not enough minted, not issued 01 Jan 05, some outlets "missed the point" by trying to sell them, people moaning and complaining, etc. ... about a lawful command ... hmmm ... ya know - I kinda think there are quite a few more important issues to worry about ...)

Ya know what?  The expression "soldier on" comes to mind ... Let's give it a try. 
Maybe then we could harness some of this energy and shameful predilection for infighting and insulting others who also serve, and turn it against a "real" enemy.

bossi said:
Okay - I just finished reading all six pages of this thread ...

Can i get the cole's notes version of this thread  ;D

aesop081 said:
Can i get the cole's notes version of this thread   ;D

Oh, that's just so offensive ... (oh, wait - wrong thread ...)

Is it possible for a Vet to get one of the pins :cdn:
I would be proud to wear it
BobbyC
:cdn:

Back