• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Year of the Veteran & commemorative pin to be worn by all CF pers

Whats your opinion of the " Year of the Veteran Pin worn by CF pers"

• Total voters
Although the intention is noble, the execution is silly.

I agree with Infanteer and Michael Doresh.  While well intentioned by the CDS, I don't need a pin to commemorate those who came before me or those I serve with.  When I first heard about this initiative my mind wandered back to the quote from Blazing Saddles... "Badges, we don't need no stinkin badges!...".

My 2 cents

Gunner said:
"Badges, we don't need no stinkin badges!...".

Agree 100%.  I think this is downright silly, particularly as it appears that the pin is to be worn on combats (I had thought it was DEU only).  ::)  What's it prove?

TR

Thank you Mr. Dorosh for setting me straight. I now realize that any attempt to inject any personal opinion in a public forum is an invitation to being ridiculed, I will temper any comments in the future. I also see that it is useless to feel any pride at all in ones service because there will always be someone to belittle it. I commend you for your site, it is truly a nice piece of work. In fact, I use it in my medals and militaria business regularly for research, thank you.

At this point, whether the pins are a good or bad idea is irrelevant. The abusive attacks on a contributor is entirely unacceptable and a person such as yourself (with 18 years service) should have the grace and common dog to discuss intelligently any topic that arises without resorting to abusive attacks. I thought it was a good idea, obviously you don't. Enough said.

If you'd like to discuss this further please don't hesitate to contact me privately. That way, I can be free to ignore you.

Cheerio,

Peter

Guys, lets not get wrapped around the axles here - I've been seeing to much of this "Don't say that!" hum-drum on multiple threads lately....

Just to keep the information 100% on track - it will not be worn on combats.  DEU only.  That information came from higher headquarters and was passed on by our RSM last night.

That would make more sense...  The photo posted earlier suggests otherwise - hope your RSM is right!

TR

Horse_Soldier said:
Just to keep the information 100% on track - it will not be worn on combats.   DEU only.   That information came from higher headquarters and was passed on by our RSM last night.

I guess we are victims of the silly picture on the first page - hopefully you're right.  Maybe they read this page and changed things around.... :)

Whats all the fuss about. Its a great gesture and long over due. It should be worn everYday in my mind not just on Rememberance day. I keep a poppy in plain view in my truck all year round. Its my way of showing respect. Now I see plates are out with the poppy on them. I can not believe Cf Members in here are bitching and arguing about this. Shame on you.Maybe some of you should question your honour to your
counrty and fallen and injured veterans pass and present.

NUFF SAID 

SNIPER (4 C K)

Whats all the fuss about. Its a great gesture and long over due. It should be worn everYday in my mind not just on Rememberance day. I keep a poppy in plain view in my truck all year round. Its my way of showing respect. Now I see plates are out with the poppy on them. I can not believe Cf Members in here are bitching and arguing about this. Shame on you.Maybe some of you should question your honour to your counrty and fallen and injured veterans pass and present.  NUFF SAID SNIPER (4 C K)

Komodo - Reread the thread about what the discussion is about.  Moreover, don't call into question my honour to my country or the fallen or the injured veterans of the past and present.  Finally, if you have something productive to say, say it and keep your comments about others to yourself.  Cheers.

"SNIPER":

Thanks for the lecture, now piss off.

Nuff Said.

IMO what's the big deal? If you don't need a pin to remind you of Veteran's good for you. If it does spark at least a little more interest in the sacrifice that past and current CF members have given, all the better. Personally I think we've got more important things to worry about than wearing a pin on the uniform. If you don't like wearing it, give it a year then you can take it off. If you do appreciate the additional gesture towards the Vets, then wear it with pride. In other words, relax, you'll live longer.

I think that this new insignia pin is a great idea!
The fact that this is the Year of The Veteran gives even
more importance to this insignia pin. :salute:

it suggests that treating veterans like shit is ok, as long as we wear dime store trinkets to make everything all better.   Did you get enough support when you returned from your tour, Tess?   And will the fact that I'm wearing this button in Calgary redress that?   Do you think the families of the Merchant Mariners who died without their hard-earned pensions will really be moved by this gesture?

Support I received when I returned was phenomenal, why? The Media was all over us, our supporters were on us like a fat kid on a smarty. As time wore on and there was no need for that support...

Support after that...hmm let me see with statements like;

"Your Veteran's file means absolutely nothing to me, your injuries are minor and I have seen people with much more severe injuries still serving"   DND Medical Officer

"If You cleared out like you were supposed to you wouldn't be in the mess that your are in now"   DND Clerk handling some of my paperwork

"Veterans Card, how in the world did you get one of those??   I don't think I can accept that you don't look like a Veteran" Civie Staff at an eye clinic supported by veteran affairs

"Dou you know how many times I have called your name??   I have the right mind of passing you on and letting you miss your appointment" Mediacl Clerk at Veteran Affairs hearing clinic to a ww2 vet , with hearing aids in both ears

So you know what, maybe this won't help the Dead Merchant Marine get his pension.   It won't retract some of the attitude of the past, but I sure as hell hope that it will motivate one person,   just one person to think of what they say before they go and shoot their mouth off at a Vet.

So I will take my pin and Mail it to the CDS or The Honourable Albina Guarnieri, and ask them to send it to someone else.   Someone who is in need of some remembering.

dileas

tess

p.s I will ask that it does not get sent to Calgary, as it seems the troops out there already remember.

Teddy Ruxpin said:
Agree 100%.  I think this is downright silly, particularly as it appears that the pin is to be worn on combats (I had thought it was DEU only).  ::)  What's it prove?

TR
I agree too.  While we're at it, let's pull down the cenotaphs, doze in the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and do away with Remembrance Day.  After all, good Canadians don't need reminders of the fallen, do they?

CHIMO,  Kat

â Å“Wearing this insignia during this special year is both a demonstration of support and thanks for those who have gone before, and those who will come after.â ?

It would appear from the news release that the wearing of the pin is not to remind the soldier of those who have gone before, nor to educate civilians but as a nod to the veterans and as a show of thanks.

MAYBE THE DIRECTING STAFF SHOULD WATCH WHAT THEY SAY!!!!!!
ONE OF YOUR STAFF COMPARING THIS PIN TO A PRIZE IN A CRACKER JACK BOX!
IF YOUR GOING TO POST A THREAD BE PREPARED TO ACCEPT THE NEGATIVE AND THE POSITIVE.
THANKS INFANTEER(DIRECTING STAFF) FOR TELL A VETERAN TO PISS OF. IT SHOWS YOUR TRUE COLOURS.

KOMODO said:
THANKS INFANTEER(DIRECTING STAFF) FOR TELL A VETERAN TO PISS OF. IT SHOWS YOUR TRUE COLOURS.

You're the one you said that I (among others) should be ashamed of myself and questioned the integrity of our service.

As I said, the intention was noble, but the delivery was silly (if indeed the thing was to be worn on the combats).

Now, if you're going to play Internet tough guy, be prepared to accept that others may not appreciate your snide comments on their commitment.

I don't get why people here are assuming that by thinking this thing is silly means we're insensitive louts who could care less about the vets.  Give your head a shake.

Kat Stevens said:
I agree too.   While we're at it, let's pull down the cenotaphs, doze in the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and do away with Remembrance Day.   After all, good Canadians don't need reminders of the fallen, do they?

Since you chose to quote me, I suppose I should respond, but I won't engage in sarcasm to make my point.   I also won't get into a pi**ing contest with anyone on this board about my service or anyone else's.   I know of at least three people who have posted here who do not support this little pin idea but who more than qualify as veterans - myself included.

Frankly, I am agast that there are people who assume, as apparently Kat Stevens has, that a lack of support for wearing a pin on a uniform extrapolates to a lack of support for veterans and/or remembrance.   Personally, I happen to believe that the entire "Year of the Veteran" campaign is a cynical ploy to gain public support after a series of negative press stories last year regarding government support to veterans in general.   DND (and, by extension, the CF) is just along for the ride.

Tempest in a teapot?   Yup, but it's indicative of bigger things...   'Nuff said from me.

TR

Okay, here we go...firstly, I never called ANYONES service into question.  Secondly, I agree:  It IS an insignificant little bauble... so why all the fuss about pinning it onto a uniform most troopies will only wear a dozen times in the next year... tempest indeed...

CHIMO,  Kat

Kat Stevens said:
so why all the fuss about pinning it onto a uniform most troopies will only wear a dozen times in the next year... tempest indeed...

I think that the original picture and explanation, the true cause of the furor, was over the fact that this was "daily wear" on the combat uniform.   Now it appears that this is something to be worn one the DEU, so the problem was dropped until people thought they would jump in and play "internet tough guy" (see my above response).

I don't think there is really anything to start spinning the tires for on this thread anymore - I'm sure we'll all have no problem throwing the pin on next to most of the other baubles on the dress uniform (if this is the case).

BTW - does anyone else think the "Year of the Veteran" is silly - shouldn't every year be a "Year of the Veteran"?

Back