• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

World Religions: Statistics, Respect and Selecting a Faith

Greymatters said:
I'm more of a heretic than a nonbeliever. 

If you ask all the religious people if they believe all the dogmas of their churches, I think that we would find
plenty heretics...

the 48th regulator said:
Which is why we lump all you heathen/heretics together.....

As long as you dont lump us in with the pagans. You can never trust those guys...

I always wanted to be a pagan.....would that be OK? or maybe a Jedi....I'm joking about the Jedi....

OldSolduer said:
I always wanted to be a pagan.....would that be OK? or maybe a Jedi....I'm joking about the Jedi....

Jedi is a recognised religion now

Greymatters said:
RELIGIOUS REPRESENTATION AROUND THE WORLD

Christianity Has over 10 branches; Christianity is largest with over 1 billion 2.1 billion
Islam                 Has 4 main branches;Sunni is largest with just under 1 billion 1.3 billion
Non-religious (Includes Secular, Agnostic, and Atheist)                             1.1 billion
Hinduism                 Has 5 main branches                                                             900 million
Confucianism / Taoism    (Includes multiple Chinese traditional belief systems) 394 million
Buddhism                   Has 3 main branches                                               376 million
Primal-indigineous (Includes non-African tribal and aboriginal beliefs)               300 million
Diasporic                   (Includes African traditional beliefs)                               100 million
Sikhism                 Has 1 main branch 23 million
Juche                 Has 1 main branch 19 million.
Judaism                 Has 5 main branches 14 million
Baha’l                 Has 2 main branches 7 million
Jainism                 Has 3 main branches 4.2 million
Shinto                 Has 7 main branches 4 million
Zoroastrianism Has 2 main branches 2.6 million

Source: http/www.hri.ca/index.aspx, estimated religious composition of the world population.  Population size based on Jan 2004 estimated worldwide population of 6.4 million

Yes! Go team, go! Go team, go!  ;D

Damn, I promised myself I'd stop posting on religious threads. Must...not...press...post button...

Greymatters said:
And another serious topic is successfully transformed into 'radio chatter'...  :blotto:

If someone is jonesing for a hit of religious debate and can only find Milnet.ca for their fix, then they are truly interweb challenged.

Richie said:
Yes! Go team, go! Go team, go!  ;D

Damn, I promised myself I'd stop posting on religious threads. Must...not...press...post button...

By my calculations there are still 5.5 billion theists out there...  We've a ways to go. :( ;)

Reccesoldier said:
By my calculations there are still 5.5 billion theists out there...  We've a ways to go. :( ;)

True, Reccesoldier, we do have a ways to go, but in the long run I know that Humanity will mature and religion will be left behind as a fond childhood memory (not in our lifetime, though).

Besides, we still have Plan Alpha-Omega as discussed at our last meeting (you remember that meeting, the one that took place in the secret chambers beneath the Vatican).  Once Alpha-Omega is implemented and all religious leaders are replaced by robots controlled by atheists, victory will be ours!!!    :cheers:

Um, maybe I've had too much caffeine today...  :D

Emenince Grise said:
Roman Catholicism is not a separate faith but a Christian denomination. It makes more sense to compare Islam with Christianity in general.
Or Sunni Islam with Roman Catholicism.  We Papists still come out on top!  ;D

It absolutely Grinds my gears when people go around in places like this on the interweb saying that all religious ideals and religions in general are hoaxes and fairy tales. Free speech is a wonderful thing, and I am by no means a fan of political correctiveness, but this is what people base their lives on - their faith. And I just want to Tear something apart when I see people piling the shits all over it.  :rage:

Time out for some deep breaths.... Aw hell, I'm getting some JD.

Midget

uncle-midget-boyd said:
It absolutely Grinds my gears when people go around in places like this on the interweb saying that all religious ideals and religions in general are hoaxes and fairy tales. Free speech is a wonderful thing, and I am by no means a fan of political correctiveness, but this is what people base their lives on - their faith. And I just want to Tear something apart when I see people piling the shits all over it.  :rage:

Time out for some deep breaths.... Aw hell, I'm getting some JD.

Midget

If you're referring to my last post, it was just a joke on my part; sometimes my jokes don't always work out. I apologise if I offended your faith. I have already stated on this forum that we all need something to get through life and if religion gives you strength, then who am I to argue.
Look at it this way: assuming for the moment that God does exist, He must have given us our sense of humour. I often use my God-given sense of humour to get me through life. However, if I crossed the line and offended you, you have my sincere apology.

Richie

Richie said:
If you're referring to my last post, it was just a joke on my part; sometimes my jokes don't always work out. I apologise if I offended your faith. I have already stated on this forum that we all need something to get through life and if religion gives you strength, then who am I to argue.
Look at it this way: assuming for the moment that God does exist, He must have given us our sense of humour. I often use my God-given sense of humour to get me through life. However, if I crossed the line and offended you, you have my sincere apology.

Richie

I guess it was a bit of a vent that built up through the whole lot of the interweb postings.. ie Youtube comments (I can't even listen to Jesus Christ Superstar there withouth having BS comments thrown in my face), some postings here and I guess even your saying that "Humanity will mature and religion will be left behind as a fond childhood memory" did bother me, my faith was in no way offended. I agree that it is hard for certain tones-of-voice to come through a keyboard letting people know when something is being said in jest.
  No worries or hard feelings on my part. Like I said, a lot of that was a bit of a vent accumulated through the whole of the interweb and this thread just opened the valve.

Midget

What a wonderful topic.

I don't understand religion.Mostly due to never attending it during my childhood,never went to anything but funerals oh and my wedding.I was however baptised as a Protestant,my grandfather being head of the Orangemen's lodge being very adamant about it.

I have begin to really think about exploring it,looked into the united church in the area,along with the Orangelodge as well.I always wondered about these people who "find God".Wondered if it would ever happen to me and up to now I feel no real drive to go to church,more of a curiosity than anything.

To classify myself as an atheist would be a generalisation,as I can't really say I don't WANT to believe in paradise/heaven/etc.Sounds like a awesome comfort knowing all my buddy's and family who have went I get to hang out with again.However I find it difficult to believe in things I can't see and touch or define.Would I like to be convinced?Sure would.However I find myself to sceptical over everything in life.

I also think the bible offers great guidelines to living a good life,I have read the whole thing cover to cover (busy tour in Bosnia ;D).

My big question would be what made you guys religious or believe in God/Deity/etc?Do you believe it is something that is learned?Socially driven (your parents were therefore...local church/small town)?

I have not baptised my child as I wish to give him the choice.My mothers first comment was ..."what if something happens to him?"
Meaning he would be stuck in purgatory.Something she was raised with.

X-mo-1979 said:
I have not baptised my child as I wish to give him the choice.My mothers first comment was ..."what if something happens to him?"

That no longer is the belief, however it is recommended to baptize the child at the soonest possible time, to aid in the child's acceptance of the holy divinity.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
That no longer is the belief, however it is recommended to baptize the child at the soonest possible time, to aid in the child's acceptance of the holy divinity.

dileas

tess

OK seen.
Maybe just a hold over from the past then I guess.

You seem to be fairly knowledgeable in the subject 48Th,care to try and answer my questions above?If it's too personal I understand though mate.

Cheer's.

Why I am religious?

Hmm... I could say it is my culture.  However, even being from and Italian background of first Generation Canadian, we never practiced Religion at home.  The Catholic in me always existed, always pulling at my "soul".  It was later in life, after many things I went through, and the aid of my wife, that I have found reason to follow my faith further.

I mean, I could call myself a Pelagianist Catholic, in that I do believe that true divinity lies in myself to choose the right path, aided by God.  Do I believe in all of the dictum's of the Roman Catholic Church?  I will have o say that I do not.  Does that make me a bad Christian?  Judgement day for me at the gates will decide that.

However,  I will never enforce my beliefs on others.  What I will wholeheartedly do, with all my strength is battle those that try to destroy my beliefs, and religion that I follow with every iota of my being.  That is the side of me that I will admit is a bit of the "zealot".

dileas

tess

X-mo-1979 said:

I would say that leaving that choice to the child is the right thing to do.  The reason I say that is because I will always advocate free will.  Is the choice to believe yours or your child's?  To me that is the question you and your wife should answer.

We are in my opinion far too often slaves of tradition. All tradition.

Just my two cents.

Reccesoldier said:
I would say that leaving that choice to the child is the right thing to do.  The reason I say that is because I will always advocate free will.  Is the choice to believe yours or your child's?  To me that is the question you and your wife should answer.
Whether or not someone gets their kids baptised is a personal decision. 
As for saying "I'm leaving the choice to my child", that is a cop out.  Do you allow your children to choose how to behave in public?  Do you allow your children to choose between right and wrong on their own, or do they come up with their own moral code?  Do you allow your children to choose what foods to eat? A parent's role is not to simply make sure that their children survive to the age of 18.  A parent's role is to raise their children according to how the parents believe they should be raised.  Baptism or not is a personal choice, but I would argue that the choice is up to the parents and not the child.

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
As for saying "I'm leaving the choice to my child", that is a cop out.  Do you allow your children to choose how to behave in public?  Do you allow your children to choose between right and wrong on their own, or do they come up with their own moral code?  Do you allow your children to choose what foods to eat? A parent's role is not to simply make sure that their children survive to the age of 18.  A parent's role is to raise their children according to how the parents believe they should be raised.  Baptism or not is a personal choice, but I would argue that the choice is up to the parents and not the child.

Well I do have to disagree.

He can get baptised at any time HE chooses.He will get a smack up back to the head for swearing,but raising a child right and religion does not have to go hand in hand.I am leaving that choice to him.Maybe when he is my age he will begin to ask himself a lot of questions as well.Maybe he will get baptised at a later age...sorta like that guy....Oh yes JESUS.lol.

My child also eats very well.And is being raised by my morale code.Honesty,integrity, and respect for others.;D

He is now 2 and has not/will not been baptised.It truly is his choice,however he's eating cottage cheese and fruit for breakfast. ;)

However I do respect all your opinions.

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
As for saying "I'm leaving the choice to my child", that is a cop out.

No it isn't.

Do you allow your children to choose how to behave in public?  Do you allow your children to choose between right and wrong on their own, or do they come up with their own moral code?  Do you allow your children to choose what foods to eat? A parent's role is not to simply make sure that their children survive to the age of 18.  A parent's role is to raise their children according to how the parents believe they should be raised.  Baptism or not is a personal choice, but I would argue that the choice is up to the parents and not the child.

I teach my children, which is not the same as denying them a choice.

Selecting a religion for a child is not equivalent to teaching between right and wrong.  My children will not be ostracized by society for not having a religion forced on them like they would be if I were to fail to teach them acceptable moral behaviour.  My children will not become sick because I didn’t force them to be baptized.

MR, the difference between the points of your argument and the compulsion of being baptized is that the straw men you set up were all requirements of survival in a societal framework or conversely biological imperatives and therefore taught out of necessity.  Baptism is neither.

Back