• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
There has been several "great migrations" in history: 1,500ish years ago Europe was totally transformed as tribes like the Goths, Vandals, Angles, Saxons, Lombards, Suebi, Frisii, Jutes and Franks were pushed westwards by e.g. the Huns, Avars, Slavs, Bulgars and Alans. In all a very few million people were involved but they changed the world. In the 19th century (from say 1815 to 1865) Canada experienced its own "great migration" as over 750,000 Europeans came here ~ changing our world. In the 20th century the USA experienced two "great migrations:" in the period from about 1910 to about 1940 over 5 million black Americans migrated from the deep South to the industrial North and then, in the late 20th century and stretching to today, over 10, maybe even 15 million Latin Americans have "migrated," mostly illegally to the USA. Those two migration had and are still having profound effects on the USA.

Now, writing in the Globe and Mail, Jeffrey Simpson posits that we, Canada, must consider how we might respond to another, imminent, "great migration" in this artiucle which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from that newspaper:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/globe-politics-insider/jeffrey-simpson-the-refugee-discussion-is-just-beginning/article27325258/
gam-masthead.png

The refugee discussion is just beginning

SUBSCRIBERS ONLY

Jeffrey Simpson
The Globe and Mail

Published Thursday, Nov. 19, 2015

The commitment to bring 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada before Dec. 31, made by the Liberals in the heat of an election campaign, should be seen not as the end but as the beginning of a multiyear commitment to bring tens and tens of thousands more refugees to Canada over many years.

Quite apart from whether the government can meet its artificial and politically driven timetable for the 25,000, the larger question is whether the government and the Canadian people are willing, ready and able to handle much bigger numbers in the years ahead. No one has thought about this, let alone prepared for it. Circumstances, however, will force reflection.

This 25,000 contingent, and the many who will follow if the government sticks to its policies, is not like, say, previous groups of refugees from Vietnam, Uganda or Kosovo. These groups were much smaller in number, displaced by one event at a given place. By contrast, there were three-day periods throughout the summer and fall when more refugees/migrants were landing on the Greek island of Lesbos than Canada proposes to admit in two months.

Today’s refugees/migrants are part of a mass movement of millions of people fleeing military conflict, entrenched poverty and government breakdowns across an arc of states in the Middle East and Africa. Climate change is already widening desertification, which causes people to leave drought in search of food.

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees estimates that there are now about 60 million refugees around the world, and that number is almost certainly going to rise. Since large countries such as China, Russia and Japan (and many others) either don’t want refugees/migrants, or refugees/migrants don’t wish to go there, the mass movement will head to countries with advanced economies and liberal democratic traditions.

The migration that landed almost a million people in Europe this year did not come from war-torn Syria alone, where an estimated six to eight million people are displaced internally and millions more live in camps in Lebanon, Turkey and Jordan. The migration comes from Iraq, Afghanistan, Eritrea, Libya, Yemen, Egypt, Pakistan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Nigeria and other African countries.

There are those who are leaving their native lands and those who wish to join them. A Gallup poll, for example, reported that a quarter of Afghanistan’s population said it wanted to leave, following on the heels of an estimated 100,000 who have left this year.

Another Gallup poll, taken from 2009 to 2011, and reported in The New York Times, said 40 per cent of Nigeria’s residents would leave if they could. That poll was taken before the insurgent/terrorist group Boko Haram began wreaking havoc on villages and cities in the north of Africa’s most populous country.

There are no signs yet of any movement toward peace and stability in countries wracked by insurrections, clan fighting and terrorism. The Taliban remain active in many of Afghanistan’s provinces. Iraq, a thoroughly failed state, cannot oust the Islamic State from its midst. Nor can Syria, which is also divided among a welter of militias and other forces hostile to each other and the government in Damascus.

Fighting roars on in Yemen, with Saudi Arabia now intervening and the United States using drone strikes. Libya, where Western countries including Canada ousted former president/dictator Moammar Gadhafi, has dissolved into warring clans. Egypt is plagued by IS, or groups claiming to be associated with IS, in the Sinai. Civil war rocks Congo.

Palestinians live in the hellhole that is Gaza and watch land they believe to be theirs devoured by Israeli settlements in the West Bank. The incentives for some of them to depart are obvious.

Mass movements debilitate countries that lose people because among them are some of the best-educated and most skilled. They have the money and wherewithal to depart. The countries they leave behind are, therefore, deprived of some of their best and brightest, which in turn makes it harder for these countries to succeed and easier for them to spiral downward.

The government is preoccupied with figuring out how to bring 25,000 to Canada by Dec. 31.

Thereafter, the government and Canadians should decide if they want to bring in perhaps 10 times that number or more in the years ahead – a number that would still be only a drop in the ocean of refugees and migrants.

First, in my opinion: this is not about refugees ~ not only about refugees, anyway.

Even if we could and did solve many of the political problems (tyrants and tin-pot dictators) that create refugees, there would still be probably hundreds of millions of people want to migrate for perfectly good, sound socio-economic reasons. Most of those people are in Africa and the Middle East and South-West Asia so their nearest "safe haven" is Europe.

Europe is already experiencing terrible tensions that threaten to rip apart the fabric of traditional European society. We can see, in America, some of the social and political impacts ~ some bad, some good ~ of millions of migrants from Latin America.

The issues of culture and, especially in Quebec, la laïcité vs reasonable accommodation of religious beliefs, are already under stress in Canada.

I agre with Jeffrey Simpson: "Canadians should decide if they want to bring in perhaps 10 times that number* or more in the years ahead – a number that would still be only a drop in the ocean of refugees and migrants" and we must understand that these "mass movements debilitate countries that lose people because among them are some of the best-educated and most skilled. They have the money and wherewithal to depart. The countries they leave behind are, therefore, deprived of some of their best and brightest, which in turn makes it harder for these countries to succeed and easier for them to spiral downward." Only a handful of countries, most notably China and India have an actual surplus of well educated, sophisticated, entrepreneurial people ~ the sorts of people we want to come to Canada; if we take the "best and brightest" from Africa and the Middle East and West Asia we are just going to make things worse in the countries they are trying to leave behind. If we don't take the "worst" then we are doing the same: exacerbating the problems.

This is a political problem for Canada. It is a political problem for Australia and America, too, and also for Europe and probably even South America.

If Mr Simpson is right, and I fear he is, then we have more, much more than just a smallish (25,000) refugee crisis, we have an enormous migration which will change the whole world.

____
* The 25,000 Syrian refugees we currently plan to accept.

E.R. Campbell said:
* The 25,000 Syrian refugees we currently plan to accept.

No comment on the politics, but the number I read was 35,000.

"Canada is to take 35,000 Syrians, including 10,000 the Harper government agreed to accept earlier this year."
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/refugees-line-up-for-million-dollar-ticket-to-canada-but-the-odds-are-heavily-against-them#ixzz3rxhyOI10

Now comes a question:  Opening our doors to large numbers of refugees, not just Syrian, many of them unskilled and then kicking out skilled people who have come here with the intention of becoming Permanent Residents and Canadians, raises a few questions as to what the priorities and agenda is in our Government.  I am wondering where John McCallum is?

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

SUFFIELD FAMILY FACING DEPORTATION ARE FIGHTING TO STAY IN CANADA
Leah Murray @CHATTV_LMurray
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2016

A UK family living in Suffield is about to lose everything they’ve worked so hard for.
On November 22nd they will be receiving a deportation notice after their permanent residency application was denied. The family is now fighting to keep the life they’ve built for themselves here in Canada.
“I’ve got nothing, I’ve got no job to go back to. I’ll step off that plane in the UK, am I a refugee in my own country then? Holding my daughter’s hand, where do I go?” Said Mark Lowe

After living and working in Canada for over 4 years, that could become a reality for Mark, his wife Michaela and their daughter Isabella.
They’ve been fighting to get permanent residency for the past two years. Their application was denied earlier this year and their appeal was denied last month. Now they face deportation.
“Coming over here was for me to set up a new life for my daughter, setting up a new life for this family. And now to get put in the situation where I’m getting, on the 22nd of November, deported. Was it worth it to even come over here? Start a new life and literally end up in a gutter.” said Michaela.

The couple says their application was denied because they can’t provide proper medical information for Michaela’s son who lives with his father in Germany. But, they say the father of the teen has full custody and despite their best efforts he’s been uncooperative in providing the required information about the 16 year old. The Lowes have been trying to get the child waived from the application, but they say despite submitting documentation supporting the fact they do not have custody of the child, they have not been allowed to waive him.
“He’s in Germany with his father, he didn’t want to come here, we’re not trying to get him here.” said Mark.

Mark is a skilled worker and former British Soldier who had been working as a millwright at a company in Redcliff, his wife had a job in retail, and their daughter was going to school in Redcliff. Despite both having jobs, the Lowe’s work visa extension was also denied. They’ve been unable to work since August 22nd and are now having to sell their home.
“Without jobs like everybody else out there, you can’t pay your bills, you can’t pay your mortgage, your car insurance, gas electric all those sorts of things, put food on the table for your family.” said Mark.
CHAT TV News reached out Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to talk about the decision to deny the family permanent residency, but they were unable to provide a comment on the case at this time, despite repeated requests.

Now, the family has less than three months to try and restore their status, or be deported. Having no income they can’t afford to hire an immigration lawyer and instead are relying on Members of Parliament and their staff to fight for them.
“The MP’s that are working on our behalf, that’s literally our lifeline at the moment to try and get this resolved.” said Mark.

There is a glimmer of hope for the family. With the help of the local MP’s office, their daughter was allowed to return to school on September 8th.

Although they feel it may be a losing battle, the family says they will keep fighting to stay in Canada as long as they can.
“I’m not asking for the world, I’m asking that I get my permanent residency, and I can stay here and work and my daughter can go to school and we can get on with our lives, the same as everybody else. That’s basically it in a nutshell.”

The Lowe family also has a go-fund-me page set up, they are hoping to rely on the kindness of strangers to help them cover their expenses while they fight to stay in Canada.

More on LINK.

Now this is not the first time I have heard of families who have settled down and run successful business, or held jobs, but who were not refugees, but at one time Permanent Residents who had then been deported due to bureaucratic bumbling or incompetence.  In many cases, they have been people from Commonwealth nations.  One case, I remember being prominent in the news, was a Pizza chain owner in Halifax, from Lebanon, well established in Canada for a couple decades.

So?  Where is the  Minister of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship?

Interviews with Mark Lowe in Aug 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCEWXYTs-J4

It usually works out one of two ways.  Either the host population assimilates the immigrants, or the immigrants change the host culture.  There is no law of nature which requires the change to be net positive.

We need to stop running away from every potentially awkward discussion about what is or is not acceptable while bleating platitudes about diversity and commitment to openness.  We need to be hard-nosed about commitment to (individual) liberty and unapologetically intolerant toward potentially oppressive practices.

While we have a hard working, law abiding, Suffield family fighting deportation, we have many cases like this:

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

EXCLUSIVE: Oliver shooting suspect twice ordered deported from Canada
Penticton Herald
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 5:33 pm
JOE FRIES

A man who sparked a wild police chase Saturday in Princeton while wanted for attempted murder has twice been ordered deported from Canada, The Herald has learned.

Afshin Maleki Ighani, 45, is due Monday in provincial court in Penticton to face eight charges from an incident last Wednesday in Oliver that left a man with a non-fatal gunshot wound. More charges are expected from events that followed in Princeton.

Ighani, who normally resides in Oliver, is no stranger to the Penticton courthouse, where he has appeared many times over the past 14 years on assorted drug, weapons and assault charges that prompted efforts to remove him from the country.

He was first ordered deported in 2002 after being convicted of possessing a restricted firearm. Ighani fought that order, however, and was granted a reprieve with strict conditions, including that he not commit any further criminal offences, according to a decision of the appeal division of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada.

That reprieve was revoked in July 2007, according to the same decision, after Ighani was convicted following trial in B.C. Supreme Court in Penticton and sentenced to 42 months in prison for eight offences in connection with a drug bust in Oliver.
He wasn’t deported that time, though, because he was facing the death penalty in his native Iran, according to a source with knowledge of the matter who is not permitted to speak publicly about it.

The federal department responsible for immigration didn’t return a request for comment Sunday.

On Saturday, Ighani was the subject of a Canada-wide arrest warrant when he was spotted in a vehicle outside a restaurant in Princeton with another man and woman, the RCMP said in a press release.

Ighani then allegedly forced the other man out and drove off with the woman against her will, according to police.

The other man gave chase on a stolen motorcycle, which was later recovered in Okanagan Falls after it blew through a police road block in Keremeos.

Ighani, meanwhile, had gone east towards Manning Park, before turning around and heading back to Princeton.

Officers later corralled him in a trailer park and fired shots in an attempt to end the chase. Ighani managed to get away on foot, but was nabbed a short distance away.

At the time of his arrest, Ighani was free on bail while awaiting trial this summer in Port Coquitlam on a three-year-old charge of assault causing bodily harm.

Last summer, he was acquitted following trial in Penticton on a charge of aggravated assault.

The judge in that case ruled Ighani acted in self-defence when he punched another man, who suffered a fractured skull and brain hemorrhage when he fell and hit his head in an Oliver park as a result of the blow.

More on LINK.

It is almost as if we do not want honest, hard working, contributors to our Canadian society; but only criminals: thieves and murderers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back