• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why won't the recruitment centres answer the phone?

untouchables

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this maybe an awkward or outright idiotic post, but still worth a post..i guess.
I apologize beforehand for my idiocy.

Now, I've been contacting the CFRC Toronto for several months after the reservist hiatus now to no avail, i've managed to get through the booking department only once, and the 4 other times I could only leave a message...never replied back... So I'm trying to pinpoint the best time of their the schedules of the recruiters stationed at the booking department so I could book my tests. I'm trying to avoid their early morning hours, so they can get ready,organized or what not, which leaves around 10-1130 to be the best time..lunch hours follow so i guess i shouldn't bother them eating lunch, so i guess the best time is after lunch (after 2 o'clock? Since the recruiters are full, energetic,recharged, and have nothing else to go/attend to except recruiting work before they leave at 5.

Do I have this right? Or is the booking department hours different? I would love to get this recruiting testing done.
I will call at 230ish, hopefully my prediction is right, and the booking department is present.

How about going in person? I applied through CFRC Toronto, but I lived in Detroit and I always found it better to go in person.

2010Newbie - why did you go to CFRC Toronto? There's a CFRC detachment in Windsor, too...

Agreed that in-person is the way to do it....

Very true suggestion, but sometimes i need follow up  too. But in the meantime I will plan a trip downtown i guess.
THank you for the suggestions, But still I would love to understand their 'true' operating hours so i can get a hold of them in case I need them.

acooper said:
2010Newbie - why did you go to CFRC Toronto? There's a CFRC detachment in Windsor, too...

Agreed that in-person is the way to do it....

Long story, but the short answer is that logistically it worked out better and I wanted to ensure my file was processsed as expeditiously as possible. I assumed Toronto had the most staff, most resources if there was a problem with the application, most slots for whatever testing I required, etc.

In my experience, going in for some face time is the only way to go. It might be annoying, but you will be glad you did. I am.

untouchables said:
Hello everyone, this maybe an awkward or outright idiotic post, but still worth a post..i guess.
I apologize beforehand for my idiocy.

Now, I've been contacting the CFRC Toronto for several months after the reservist hiatus now to no avail, i've managed to get through the booking department only once, and the 4 other times I could only leave a message...never replied back... So I'm trying to pinpoint the best time of their the schedules of the recruiters stationed at the booking department so I could book my tests. I'm trying to avoid their early morning hours, so they can get ready,organized or what not, which leaves around 10-1130 to be the best time..lunch hours follow so i guess i shouldn't bother them eating lunch, so i guess the best time is after lunch (after 2 o'clock? Since the recruiters are full, energetic,recharged, and have nothing else to go/attend to except recruiting work before they leave at 5.

Do I have this right? Or is the booking department hours different? I would love to get this recruiting testing done.
I will call at 230ish, hopefully my prediction is right, and the booking department is present.

:threat:

I really hate it when we get badmouthed.

OK ... you said it yourself ... you are applying to be a Reservist. There are no reservist positions available in the Toronto area. WHY would we contact you and spend money to find out if you're suitable for a job that doesn't exist??

Of the 4000 people applying through the Toronto office for the 500 jobs we have this year (the numbers are examples, don't take them as fact) ... we're going to concentrate resources on the ones that have positions available ... fair no?

Now, I agree, not calling you back may seem quite rude. And, where possible, the clerks DO try to call everyone. But with limited time and resources, if they have to skip calling someone, they're going to skip calling you, not the guy who still has a chance at a job.

SO, instead of publically badmouthing the organization that MAY be able to get you a position some day, why not call the main number and simply ask if we've opened up any Reserve positions yet? If you call during operating hours, I guarantee the main phone will be answered and we can tell you if we have jobs open or not.

Oh, and by the way ... as for Recruiters having nothing to do after 2pm ... I've worked until midnight two nights this week (before the holiday) attending events and answering questions. We are no less busy than the remainder of the Forces.

Good Luck, call us again in September.

Otis
CFRC Toronto

Otis said:
:threat:

I really hate it when we get badmouthed.

OK ... you said it yourself ... you are applying to be a Reservist. There are no reservist positions available in the Toronto area. WHY would we contact you and spend money to find out if you're suitable for a job that doesn't exist??

Of the 4000 people applying through the Toronto office for the 500 jobs we have this year (the numbers are examples, don't take them as fact) ... we're going to concentrate resources on the ones that have positions available ... fair no?

Now, I agree, not calling you back may seem quite rude. And, where possible, the clerks DO try to call everyone. But with limited time and resources, if they have to skip calling someone, they're going to skip calling you, not the guy who still has a chance at a job.

SO, instead of publically badmouthing the organization that MAY be able to get you a position some day, why not call the main number and simply ask if we've opened up any Reserve positions yet? If you call during operating hours, I guarantee the main phone will be answered and we can tell you if we have jobs open or not.

Oh, and by the way ... as for Recruiters having nothing to do after 2pm ... I've worked until midnight two nights this week (before the holiday) attending events and answering questions. We are no less busy than the remainder of the Forces.

Good Luck, call us again in September.

Otis
CFRC Toronto

Dear Mr. Otis, ..and other people who are concerned

I apologize for accidentally badmouthing the CFRC Toronto, but I was frustrated and wondering If i could get the testing done, and not worry about this recruiting testing matter. I have no ill intent, just that after reading several posts and indeed knowing of the tight availability of reservist positions in the GTA area, I was wondering if i could finish the testing this summer and wait until the positions are available when the next training year starts in September. I understand that joining the forces reserves or regular is a life changing decision for me and thousands of others, however it would be nice if i could get this testing done quickly and not bother the CFRC and attempting to find the right hours to call, im not implying that the CFRC is inefficient or unresponsive, its just that I couldn't get hold of the right people, getting the right information. Its just bad luck i assume  :p

And I have read one of your post that was one on the highlights of the forum detailing on "Tips on Contacting your recruiter". Very helpful, I thank you for that :salute:. Although following it, seems that some circumstances do not apply, however I will continue on trying to get this done.

And I apologize for not understanding the after hour works of the recruiters, after reading what you have stated, I do recall that reservists and other personnel do indeed need to parade with their units, and for recruiters, extra time answering e-mails and other matters. I sincerely apologize.

Also thank you for the notice :salute:, I was planning on a trip to the CFRC this week but since you said that the positions are really tight (which I have heard of before but cannot confirm), I guess this could be delayed. However I would like the get the testing done during the summer months before school starts so that i can focus on catching the openings on time without much delays that i may meet such as security clearances and what not.

Again I apologize

Sincerely,
Untouchable

It's very strange, I have tried to phone them around 20 times to get information on their health standards for a family member, but none of the recruitment centres answer, not even the national one.

gordongekko said:
It's very strange, I have tried to phone them around 20 times to get information on their health standards for a family member, but none of the recruitment centres answer, not even the national one.

Hello,

As a result of recent government announcements with regards to the federal budget, the Canadian Forces have had to rationalize spending. Effective last Thursday at 1600 Hrs local, all CFRCs have been directed to close. Recruiting targets have been set at zero until FY2013-2014.

We apologize for any inconvenience this is causing and we are working hard to fix the problem.

CDN Aviator said:
Hello,

As a result of recent government announcements with regards to the federal budget, the Canadian Forces have had to rationalize spending. Effective last Thursday at 1600 Hrs local, all CFRCs have been directed to close. Recruiting targets have been set at zero until FY2013-2014.

We apologize for any inconvenience this is causing and we are working hard to fix the problem.

:rofl:

CDN Aviator said:
Hello,

:rofl:

Although possibly not far from the truth.  ::)

gordongekko said:

Honestly man, leave them a message. I hate leaving messages but if you really want to get in touch with them it's that or email.

I've called them from a military land line lots and more often than not they don't answer. Once when I did get in touch with someone I made a joke about being surprised they answered and the sgt on the other end laughed and said she was surprised she answered too.

Try calling them early in the morning. I had the same issue and it is because its April and thus, very very busy.
Thousands of people are probably calling them repeatedly right now.
I called them early morning today [around 9 am, they open here at 8:30 am] and got connected.

Hope this helps.

I have called my RC twice around 2 o clock both times and it went to the answering machine.  But it is not a big deal.  Both times they called me back within a couple of days and answered all of my questions.  Just leave a message that includes your phone number, name and the questions that you want answered.  Be polite.  They will get back to you.

Journeyman said:
Call display. :whistle:

Try using someone else's phone.

lol.  I tried that once thinking maybe they thought I was :spam: on their call display.  But then they didn't answer me from a pay phone.  Then I knew it wasn't personal...and got through when I realized I had to press "1" and then "1" again.  I couldn't make sense of the different options.

Back