• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WHEN IS the next Naval Officer Assessment Board (NOAB) ?

How do you know if you have been recommended to NOAB? Do I call CFRC and ask for my file status? Or do I have to contact Ottawa?

generalmeng said:
How do you know if you have been recommended to NOAB? Do I call CFRC and ask for my file status? Or do I have to contact Ottawa?

Um?  The same way as you would for any other job application?  A notice from the employer perhaps?  It is always wise to keep track of your file status.  Who would you contact in Ottawa?

The only feed back I got from my interview was that, I did well and my CFAT score was good, and they are going to pass my file on to Ottawa, and Ottawa will decide whether I'll get into NOAB or not. I guess I'll contact my CFRC to see what's going on with my file.

It's another stage to the application process. If you got an offer, you'll get a phone call. It's a process similar to merit listing. If you're an attractive enough candidate, they won't forget about you.

If you get it, you get it. If you don't you don't. Just stay busy in the meantime.

What would make an candidate attractive? Anyone care to share some of their thoughts on this?

some of the quality I thought of are: age, education(+marks), experience/age, interview performance, medical history and CFAT score.

Anyone else would care to add to that?

Your MCC likely would have told you how you stack up.

In the recruiting process, there really are no surprises, and it's not as clandestine as a lot of applicants seem to think. As you said, you were told you did well on your CFAT and your interview; I'd take that as a positive sign.

But again, with no specifics about your file the answers you receive here will be general at best. The only people that can give you a straight answer about YOUR file, is the CFRC. It's often easier to make a 10 minute phone call than to try the waters of the Navy.ca forums.

There is no limit to the amount of information you can gather from a simple yet ingenious tool known as the 'search function'.

If you are gonna be an ahole, be that somewhere else, if you search for MCC you will get over 1000 hits, how would some one know what MCC stand for? I got a result for a Chinese mining company. If you are not gonna answer the question, don't post.

A 7 second search of MCC + Canadian Forces gave me:

http://www.army.ca/wiki/index.php/Canadian_Military_Acronyms

http://www.duncom.ca/Documents/PDF%20files/Acronyms.pdf

http://www.heritagecharlotte.com/documents/Military-Abbreviations.pdf

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/reo-oer/details-renseignements.aspx?positionnumber=O-837

Don't get snippy. If you don't know how to Google that's not my problem, but you have to realize that as an officer hopeful in the CF, showing initiative is a huge part of the job. There is an absolute wealth of information on this website, as well as others that have extremely similar if not identical questions to ones you have asked.

Okay, 1000 hits came up. Where do we go from there? I got the same company too, and they look quite successful. I didn't let that deter me and I typed in "MCC + CF". Lo and behold, my search honed in on what I was looking for.  I will assume you didn't bother to refine your search and you just gave up after looking at a couple pages and come back here to tell me off.

You do realize a simple yes or no could've avoided this whole flame? Now, using your common sense and being considerate is probably much more important than the ability to research properly.

I'm gonna stop feeding the troll now.

generalmeng said:
What would make an candidate attractive? Anyone care to share some of their thoughts on this?

some of the quality I thought of are: age, education(+marks), experience/age, interview performance, medical history and CFAT score.

Anyone else would care to add to that?

Age is irrelevant. As long as you are old enough to legally join the CF (With your parents consent if needed), and young enough to be able to complete your Variable Initial Engagement (6 for MSEs and CSEs, 8 for MARS) before you hit the Compulsory Retirement Age (Currently 60), you will be considered equally compared to any of your other peers on the NOAB. As for the rest, well, education, medical, and your CFAT will get you to the NOAB. Experience may be a bonus, but a lack of experience will not sink you (As most, but certainly not all, of the candidates will be rather fresh out of university). A lack of interpersonal skills will.

Hi All,

Today I got the dates for the next NOAB.  My file manager said that it will be from Sept 27 to Oct 1, and that the invites will probably go out at the end of August.  Hopefully I am on this one!

Cheers!
-Mike

I was just told today that MARS is now closed for the year till April. We are only 4 months into the year and all the positions have been filled. What are the chances that positions will open before hand? 8 months is a long wait.

Have fun on the next NOAB.

Patrick

Other naval officer trades include Logistics and the engineering officer trades: MSE and CSE.  Hopefully CSE isn't closed yet (my desired trade!).

They will have to interview and access MARS candidates that they have in the system right now before they closed the trade.  It MAY reopen after the next NOAB if they don't take a lot of people they brought out to the NOAB.  Logistics officers do not head to the NOAB it is only for hard sea trades.  That means it is for MARS and the CSE, MSE officers only. 

If you have an engineering degree ( and going MSE or CSE)  it is likely you will be offered a spot without a problem.  Unless you drink too much (make a a$$ of yourself) or don't get along with conducting staff and fellow NOAB candidates.

northernboy_24 said:
They will have to interview and access MARS candidates that they have in the system right now before they closed the trade.  It MAY reopen after the next NOAB if they don't take a lot of people they brought out to the NOAB. 

Yeah, I was wondering about this as well - where "in the system" they will do the cutoff?  Would they take all of the MARS guys currently merit listed (i.e. been through the CFAT, medical, interview, etc), and who are just waiting to get on the next NOAB?  Or would they do the cutoff for the MARS guys that passed the last NAOB?  Or is it that they are not allowing new applicants to choose MARS (i.e. pre-interview, pre-CFAT)? 

saltymike said:
Yeah, I was wondering about this as well - where "in the system" they will do the cutoff?  Would they take all of the MARS guys currently merit listed (i.e. been through the CFAT, medical, interview, etc), and who are just waiting to get on the next NOAB?  Or would they do the cutoff for the MARS guys that passed the last NAOB?  Or is it that they are not allowing new applicants to choose MARS (i.e. pre-interview, pre-CFAT)?

Your best bet is likely to talk to your recruiter and see what your options and chances are - and be prepared to wait.  As an update from my personal situation, those of us who passed the last NOAB (in July) have been getting BMOQ start date calls for the past couple of weeks.

If you end up on the next NOAB, don't obsess about chances/spots/etc. because it isn't something that you can control beyond your own behaviour and your own performance in the interview and exams.  Stay positive and optimistic!

Back