• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WHEN IS the next Naval Officer Assessment Board (NOAB) ?

Any word if it's going to be in Halifax or Esquimalt?

I was chatting on the Forces website to find the date and place for NOAB. I guess its been confirmed between Oct 18-Oct 22 at Esquimalt

Hello:

Due to very good results from the previous 2 NOABs this year, there will only be one more Board in 2010 which will be held 18-22 October in Esquimalt BC.

I wonder if they would let me go, just for fun.  I have an offer to start November 8th based on the july NOAB, but I had so much fun I think I would love to go again.

For all those going, behave yourself.  Keep in mind it is a week long assessment.  It is an assessment as to if you want the military and the military wants you.  So keep the alcohol consumption under control.  It is not a bad idea to have a couple drinks in the lower mess and shoot some pool.  Just keep the celebration until thursday night when the assessment phase is over.

Good luck and have fun.

A merge of all "WHEN IS the next Naval Officer Assessment Board (NOAB)" topics so that we can more easily find the relevant material.

I spoke with the RC today and they said that the next NOAB starts Oct 18 and will be followed by another starting Dec 6.

This question is for MARSBA

Sir, I have a quick question. When the dates for NOAB have been finalized, how long do you think that the list of candidates will be out. I am going through a huge professional conflict, I wanted to be a NAVY officer but the process for me was nearly 2 years, So I started working towards my second plan of getting Chartered Accounting designation. Now with NOAB in OCT and my articling interviews, I am confused whether I am going to NOAB. If I can get an answer quickly then I can out the articling on hold until next year Jan. Please help me get some information in this confusion

K

Went in to the CFRC and just got updated NOAB dats. No information about candidates getting loaded for NOAB. Really getting excited, nervous about the wait time as the Oct 18th 2010 date is coming closer

Alright Guysletsdoit,

Here is the deal about the NOAB, the CFRC will not receive information about who is going for a couple more weeks.  Generally speaking, they know a few weeks (as in 2-3) before you get sent.  Relax, you have a lot of stress ahead of you if you are this jumpy now.  Trust me, I have been there.  I know what it is like to be stressed about if or when I will be going to NOAB, if they will accept me etc.  Please go to the gym and relax, burn off some of the energy and realize there is nothing you can do until they call you to tell you that you are on the NOAB.  If you don't make it there is always the next one.

There are lots of people that have 1 year plus applications so it isn't a giant stress if you are only a few months into the application.  My application to enrolment is just over a year and that is nothing.

Breathe, relax and enjoy the ride.  Hit the gym, go for a run or study for school

I was also told by my recruiting office that the next NOAB is starting Oct. 18. 

Does anyone know if it is in Esquimalt or Halifax?  Thanks.

MARSBA said:
Hello:

Due to very good results from the previous 2 NOABs this year, there will only be one more Board in 2010 which will be held 18-22 October in Esquimalt BC.

Seek and ye shall find...

I was told today that I was not accepted to attend the board in October.  The recruiting officer suggested that I can wait until the next board some time next year or apply to the reserves.  I am curious to know if my chances to be selected for the board will improve for the next board (the recruiting officer informed me I had just missed the cut-off this time) or if trying for the reserves is a more sensible route for me to go at this point.  I really want to be in the regular forces but if I can move from reserve to regular eventually I would be happy with that as well.

Is it possible for someone who is not selected once to be selected the next time or do they toss your file into a dusty corner someplace and forget about you?

I am very disappointed with this news but I want to keep working for this if there is still a chance.

Hey admacdonald, what trade are you applying to, is it MARS or Engineering? I heard that MARS candidates have tough competition getting on board that eengineering.

I called my file manager but no reply. I work in next building that recruitment center is I am planning to visit the RC in lunch and find now. Now that people have started getting news this 1 hr for me is going to be tooo looong

guysletsdoit said:
Hey admacdonald, what trade are you applying to, is it MARS or Engineering? I heard that MARS candidates have tough competition getting on board that eengineering.

I called my file manager but no reply. I work in next building that recruitment center is I am planning to visit the RC in lunch and find now. Now that people have started getting news this 1 hr for me is going to be tooo looong

I applied to MARS.  I was told there were 7 positions for about 60 applicants.

I went to the CFRC and they have no information on my name as yet. But I have a friend who works in Ottawa and he told me that they received my name for NOAB Oct 18 - 21 today in morning. The CFRC will receive that information either end of day today or tomorrow. So its unofficial that I am going to NOAB for Engineering. Although official will be when CFRC contacts me either today or tomorrow. Its matter of couple days that it will be official.

So I am unofficially happy that my persevarance of 2 years worked. I will be officially happy in couple days!!!!

Anyone else waiting to hear for NOAB Oct 2010 for MARS or Engineering?
Anyone already got the news that they are on NAOB, please reply

To all who have attended NOAB: 1. How is the accomodation? Is it shared or single room for yourself?
2. Regarding food, I am strictly vegetarian. No fish, meat, chicken. Do we get an option of vegetarian food during the stay and at formal dinner?
3. I dont drink, so I guess it should be OK to say a NO to drinks.

Your experiences positive and negative, please share so everyone can get an idea of NOAB. Like what northernboy_24 told me, there were so many who went through NOAB and many others will go through after me. But I want to make my NOAB an experience that I will NEVER get in my life again. I am sure the first time is the last time for NOAB.

K

For more information, here's a thread with a really good summary of NOAB: http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/52231.0.html

Megsy's post (reply #3) is from the most recent NOAB, which I attended. I made a few additions from an Engineer's point of view in reply #6.

I'll try to answer your more specific questions, though.

[quote author=guysletsdoit]To all who have attended NOAB: 1. How is the accomodation? Is it shared or single room for yourself?[/quote]
Single bed hotel room (CFB Esquimalt Wardroom: http://www.wardroom.ca/Wardroom.dll/Home ). Everything you'd find in any nice hotel room: shower, tv, stereo, single bed, drawers, closet (bring your own hangers, though! There were only 2 in my room), iron, etc.

[quote author=guysletsdoit]2. Regarding food, I am strictly vegetarian. No fish, meat, chicken. Do we get an option of vegetarian food during the stay and at formal dinner?[/quote]
I'm told the meals are what you'd see on any base, and they were quite delicious! There was always a vegetarian option, as well. As for the formal dinner itself, I recall them asking at one point if anyone had any special dietary requirements, so make sure you speak up.

[quote author=guysletsdoit]3. I dont drink, so I guess it should be OK to say a NO to drinks.[/quote]
Absolutely.

[quote author=guysletsdoit]Your experiences positive and negative, please share so everyone can get an idea of NOAB. Like what northernboy_24 told me, there were so many who went through NOAB and many others will go through after me. But I want to make my NOAB an experience that I will NEVER get in my life again. I am sure the first time is the last time for NOAB.[/quote]
I loved it, of course! I'll give you the same advice that I give anyone else: get to know your fellow applicants. You will make friends, because if you're accepted, those people are the ones you're going to go through basic and a good chunk of your training with.

Just signed up here, I'm hoping for an invitation to NOAB as well.  Unfortunately, I was not eligible for this until Monday, but my CFRC has assured me I'm in the running for a spot now that my medical clearance is finally in.  Does anyone know how the selection is done?  Is it first come, first serve or merit based?

The whole process takes a lot longer than I expected.  I started my application in April and I guess I thought I'd be in by now.  A bit naive I suppose.  I didn't expect so many unseen difficulties, I had originally been advised to apply for an Engineering position in the Air Force or Army, but those were filled by the time my security clearance came through (I have dual citizenship, which understandably made the security part of the application take longer).  Then I was informed I was eligible for NSC Eng, so I had to switch my application over.  I'm really happy I did as Navy seems way more exciting to me anyway.  The interview seemd to go great, but I was perhaps a bit too nervous for my medical because my BP was off the charts, so I had to clear that too, causing another decent delay.

Also, I really hate to complain because everyone was so friendly, but has anyone else had trouble with their CFRC?  I have a real hard time getting the people handling my file to contact me, and they've left it idle for a week or two more than once.  I know they are busy but if I miss NOAB because of being a bit late to the party it's going to be very frustrating.

Hi everyone,

Im a student in mechanical engineering and i have 1 semester left till i complete my degree. i applied for Marine Systems Engineering in the Canadian Forces. i did the interview and the medical exam. in the interview i was told that i didnt do so good in it (the interview) and that my CFAT grade was 40/60. also, at the medical exams i was told to bring some information regarding my medical history (i have to get my family doctor to fill up a form).

Taking into account all that, do i have a chance to go to the next NOAB meeting? or i have to wait till i complete my degree and do a good interview.

Thank you

Agree with frustration but I guess thats how bigger organizations work. I have known about my name on NOAB from a friend in Ottawa who works in the Marine Training since Monday last week. The CFRC does not have that information as yet, so you can imagine the delay in transfer of information from one source to another. But I guess people get used to this kind of delay. The principle is if anything is a matter of life and death for you may not be important for anyone else. I learnt one thing with CF suck it up!! You will be happy

Back