• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WHEN IS the next Naval Officer Assessment Board (NOAB) ?

MattI86: I am on merit list for this NOAB. I read on this forum that if I am not selected on this NOAB, then I have a choice on next NOAB or my second and tyhrid choice. So I will give you my place if I am not on this NOAB. As mentioned earlier, people feel I am frustrated, which of course I am. The only reason is that there is no proper information given out. Most RCs are not consistent in information. Secondly, why give information in first place if things are subject to change until last moment. This will put people like MattI86 at ease and at least get in workforce. By giving this half information CF keeps most of us hanging in air. Most if us have dreamt about this job. We have passion to do it right. But what is happening is half information is keeping us day dreaming. Like telling me I am on merit list and then having no answer until 10 days before NOAB is keeping me under tremendous pressure, day dreaming, uncertainty and of course how to explain my boss for 1 week off. Instead if I am told we have completed our process and we will contact you if we have anything coming up for you will give me less stress and of course much less stress to my file manager who has to answer my calls everyday(just joking). Its just the process I am trying to think. I know we cannot change it but why should I be subject to stress of half information even when I am not in military. Well I guess I can take care of bumps when I am in CF but I should not get these bumps when I am running smooth is what i trying to explain again

guysletsdoit said:
Secondly, why give information in first place if things are subject to change until last moment.

I can only imagine what you would be posting here if you had no information at all. I can pretty much picture your reaction and posts if the CFRC just told you "ok thanks for you application, dont call us, we'll call you"

Most if us have dreamt about this job.

Think you are the only one ? What do you think most of us did ? Join the CF on a dare ?

Like telling me I am on merit list and then having no answer until 10 days before NOAB

Whats the problem here ?

is keeping me under tremendous pressure,

Pressure ? I'm a single dad with 2 kids and i dont know from one day to the next if i will be home. Pressure ?

Under pressure, some people fold, some people focus. Which one are you ?

Instead if I am told we have completed our process and we will contact you if we have anything coming up for you will give me less stress

No. You would be on here asking why the CFRC hasnt called you yet, bitching that they dont tell you anything.......you are what we call in the buisness "a person who cant be made happy".

I know we cannot change it but why should I be subject to stress of half information even when I am not in military.

half the information isnt bad. I often have to work on much less. learn to deal with it and quit worrying so much.

I should not get these bumps when I am running smooth is what i trying to explain again

You should try living in the real world. Its never smooth.

guysletsdoit said:
Well I guess I can take care of bumps when IF I am in CF but I should not get these bumps when I am running smooth is what i trying to explain again

If you 'guess' you can take care of bumps in the military, why can't you handle them now? You won't be selected for the person you might be, you will be selected for the person YOU ARE NOW. I don't know what to tell you. You keep hitting on the same points and you don't listen to what people have to tell you.

From what I read, you had your interview on July 27th? It hasn't even been two months from that step. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. If you can't handle stress now, I have no idea how you're going to handle getting yelled at through training, being pushed to your mental limit during more training, and then doing your job in a combat situation.

Maybe you're not as competitive as a candidate as you'd like to believe? I'm not trying to disparage you, but in reading through all your posts I can't help but feel you're not the best team player. Stop worrying about how the CFRC is giving you the run around and feeding you 'half information'. You're not their only concern, and it worries me that you seem to think you are.

If you get selected for a job offer, great. However, only focus on what YOU can contribute. Stop blaming the CFRC, or whoever else. Remember, this job is very much a privilege. If it turns out you don't get a job offer, just remember we can't always get what we want.

That said, I know it's frustrating. I'm sure (well, I hope) your attitude would be much different were you to actually be at the NOAB. You have to keep in mind that this is a very competitive job. Not everyone who applies will get it; that's the nature of every job. Should you not get an offer, don't take it personally.

@guysletsdoit:
It might help you to realize we are all in the same situation.  I know it has helped me.  I was worried my application process shouldn't be taking so long, but once I found this place I realized if anything it has moved at about the standard rate.  It's the government, they take a long time for anything.  Something as important as the military is going to take just that much longer.

The best thing I've found when feeling frustrated is to remember what you do and don't control.  You have your CFAT, your medical, your Interview, your references, and that's it.  If you get through all that, then the only thing left to you is to work on your physical conditioning.  I think if I do that and still don't get in, I know I gave it my best shot and it just was not meant to be.  Granted, I'll be devestated, this is my dream.  But I don't control all the factors and the best I can do is to focus on the ones I do control, and just relax on the rest.

Assuming nothing miraculous happens and I don't get on this NOAB, I'll just have to wait and hope for the next.  But there's nothing I can do to change any of this, it's the system.  You have to remember none of us are entitled to a position;  I have an engineering degree, which is a very specific skillset and yet I'm just one of many engineers applying, with less work experience than some of them have.  It's good to remember sometimes that none of us are really as special as we think we are.

For all those who have replied to me with friendly advice, with older brotherly advice and as peer advice I thank them all.

I am sorry to use this forum to vent my stupid frustrations about NOAB. I have finished my part now I have to let the system take its course. Please dont judge me from what I have vented out here as I am not a person that you would think from my writings here. It just that we all have dreamt about this job and of course its my privilege that CF has considered me as a strong candidate. The main reason I am nervous or whatever you call it (I cannot express in words) is due to the fact that I have waited for 2 years and now with just 3 weeks before NOAB I am really feeling the need to know the final word. I hope you guys understand. I am just trying to vent myself to my peers and my seniors on this site to give me guidance. Again reiterating I have all respect for CF its personnels and my peers who are sailing with me in same boat. Hats off to their patience but honestly with every moment, be it in gym or in car or at work my focus is not getting away from the fact that I am going to be Naval Officer and that continuous thought process keeps my mind occupied and then starts thinking in other directions. I guess its normal human behaviour. But this is what I gathered after reading all honest replies I am just not going to read about CF and navy. I am not going to browse about ships and submarines. I am just going to spend more time at gym or swimming pool and complete a few remaining assignment. I hope this works well for me.

Guys wish me luck that my name gets finalized I seriously need that

Hoping to get on a future NOAB.

I'm in the same boat as Mattl86 - finalized my file interview/medical to Ottawa from CFRC Vancouver on Sept. 10 - told however that the deadline was in fact Sept 4th for consideration for the upcoming NOAB. 

Patience is a virtue. I too was in between work hoping to reach this upcoming NOAB in Oct. - my previous employer has been gracious enough to let me back knowing that I am waiting for a future NOAB. I find open transparency with your employer can go a long ways - if your concerned about the short notice and the necessity for the week away from your job for an NOAB i recommend openly discussing this with your employer. They will either support your efforts or provide you with the answer you fear and the time to start making alternative arrangements.

I am definitely looking forward to the opportunity to be considered sometime here in the near future.

Cheers,
OneCanada

Sorry to add to the confusion and conflicting information, but I was told this week that there are still positions available. It seems that the trade is not "full," at least not in all cases. Perhaps a recruiter or someone else might be able to answer this a little more clearly for all of us hopeful NOAB attendees.

Are the NOABs simply filled according to targeted MOSID levels and NOT entry methods? In other words, do all MARS applicants compete against each other in a common pool? Or are a certain number of spots reserved soley for DEO, CEOTP, CFR, etc.? If there are separate quotas in the same trade depending on how you applied, maybe that helps to explain why it is full for someone who applied DEO, but not for someone who applied CEOTP, or vice versa. I have no idea if this is right, I'm just throwing out the question and maybe someone knowledgeable can answer it.

Also, I have seen dates such as Sept. 4th and Sept. 27th mentioned as cutoffs in this thread. Since it appears that at least a few people have been merit listed between those dates, can someone definitively answer when the deadline to be merited listed is/was for the Oct 18-22 NOAB?

And at least one person has said that they have already been called and told that they will be going. Is the merit list a fluid process where people can be added to or bumped off the list until the "deadline"? I read someone claim they had been told that they were going, only to be called later and the offer withdrawn for that particular NOAB. So that makes me wonder if perhaps someone deemed more "qualified" had taken their place.

Finally, although this is my first post here, I have been a long time reader, and have found these forums to be an invaluable source of information. Good luck to everyone else hoping to be on the NOAB, and hopefully we will all have answers soon!

If you are not chosen for one board, is there the possibility you will be chosen for another board?

As I mentioned before, I was told I was not chosen for this board (I applied to MARS) and the recruiter suggested that I try the reserves (which I looked into but their recruitment is completely closed).

While I am deeply disappointed about not being chosen for this board, I've not given up hope yet.  At least not until I learn the chances at being chosen for a future board.  Does anyone know?

Also, how many chances do they keep your file going?  At what point do they tell you that you're simply not going to be chosen?

Sorry to add to the confusion and conflicting information, but I was told this week that there are still positions available.
I think what is going on is that there are still positions available in the navy, but they can only accomodate so many people for a NOAB and the next one is full.  Which would mean they might run another one this year.  Keeping my fingers crossed for that.

But yeah, it's all pretty confusing.

I am breaking my last night's promise coz could not keep myself off this site. I agree with MattI86, this is really confusing. Moreover the most confusing part is the friend of mine who gave me information from Ottawa that my name is on the list meant that my name is on meril list of NOAB and not the final list. The previous venting was due to that confusion which got cleared this morning. There is no doubt that my name is on merit list and RC has told me that. But when my friend told me that my name is on the NOAB list, I assumed that they have finalized the list and I am on final list and its matter of few days that RC will inform me. Eventually RC does not have any information about the final list as of today. This misunderstanding was the major cause of confusion and nervousness and frustration. Hey Guys Sorry once again for letting that out here. With all due respect, I AM STILL WAITING like anyone else whose names are on the NOAB merit list for OCT 18 2010. I hope that the list is out pretty soon.

From on of the previous posts, I recall that the final list of NOAB will be made today Sept 27th 2010. The post read that candidates from previous NOAB have been informed whether they will be ON or not. The new candidates between previous NOAB and the one in Oct will be short listed today.

If the information in that post is correct, has any of the new candidates on merit list between Jul 2010 NOAB and now been informed about the result?

guysletsdoit said:
From on of the previous posts, I recall that the final list of NOAB will be made today Sept 27th 2010. The post read that candidates from previous NOAB have been informed whether they will be ON or not. The new candidates between previous NOAB and the one in Oct will be short listed today.

If the information in that post is correct, has any of the new candidates on merit list between Jul 2010 NOAB and now been informed about the result?

I was merit listed between Jul 2010 and now and haven't heard anything yet.

I am SO HAPPPPPPY!!!!!!!

I am the first one here I guess who is posting I AM GOING TO NOAB OCT 18th 2010.

Just got a call from CFRC Edmonton. I am going. They are making arrangements for me to fly out and in. I am going to the RC this afternoon. My wait for 2 yrs is over. Now I have to really make the effort to impress upon the board that I am very suitable for the job.

I am sure many of you have wished best luck from my previous posting. Thank you very much.

Wow, what an interesting thread. I was anxious to find out if I am indeed on this upcoming NOAB but really, 3 months isn't a big a wait for the next board. I'll guess I'll go on a tasking in the meantime.

Well it does look like waiting patiently and checking in on your recruitment center does pay off. Got into NOAB with only a few days to spare, seems they like cutting things close.

TurboToy said:
Well it does look like waiting patiently and checking in on your recruitment center does pay off. Got into NOAB with only a few days to spare, seems they like cutting things close.

I got the call this morning. Haven't yet figured out what I'm going to tell the boss but what's life without a little surprise and excitement!

theSeaDog said:
I got the call this morning. Haven't yet figured out what I'm going to tell the boss but what's life without a little surprise and excitement!
I remember having that conversation with my boss! I recall him saying at one point: "I don't really have a choice here, do I."

Nope! :)

I was told I had missed the cutt-off for this upcoming NOAB, it would seem to have indeed been true - No call.

Patience is a virtue, hopefully there will be a Dec. NOAB, if not - perhaps in the Spring.

Best of luck to all those attending, hopefully see you all within the year.

Cheers.

Back