• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's up with 24 Sussex?

What should be done with 24 Sussex?

• Leave the PM's at Rideau Cottage and turn 24 Sussex into a park.

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Renovate to modern standard.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Scrap it and rebuild ASAP from plan developed by a Committee.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Scrap and hold a National architectural competition to build a new residence.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Leave it up to politicians, after all it's them who will live there.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oldgateboatdriver

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
As we all know, Trudeau jr. agreed four years ago not to reside at 24 Sussex so that the National Capital Commission could finally carry out the renovations they have long wanted to do.

To this day, not much has been done, other than finding out that the place is in worse shape than it first appeared. An amount of 84 million dollars is being brandied about at this point, with no decision made one way or another.

Personally, I think it proper that Canada should have an official residence for its PM that is both functional and appropriate to our G7 status. But, since the repairs are so expensive, I would favour scrapping and rebuilding a new one from scratch. For even just half the amount to renovate, you can build one hell of a mansion. However, I also think it should be done ASAP as the current situation cannot go on forever (well, this is Canada, I suppose it could just fester until the courts order the Government to act, as with most important questions  :waiting:)

But what do you all think?

Dismantle the front facade, build a new house with the same front view. That won't cost a fortune even in Ottawa.

OGBD the answer is the common sense one you provided "Personally, I think it proper that Canada should have an official residence for its PM that is both functional and appropriate to our G7 status."
Harper chose to get political and live there in spite of its condition.
Let's hope some of your sentiment is applied in deciding a course of action.  :eek:rly:

Rifleman62 said:
Dismantle the front facade, build a new house with the same front view. That won't cost a fortune even in Ottawa.
Agree with your approach, but I wonder just how cheap an official head-of-government residence would be.  We all know how guv'mint buildings can sometimes cost a titch more than similar kinda anomalous buildings.  Not just linked to what the current tenant wants, but what would go into a secure (in all senses) leader residence.  $84M sounds like a lot to renovate instead of rebuild, but if the shack's been left to wait for "a better time for renovations," it wouldn't be surprising.

Also, who wants the politics of the memes saying "PM (insert name here) spent $x bazillion on his own house"?  And that goes for any PM.  With a bit of this mixed in (rephrasing your take, OGBD), via from someone else way smarter than me ...
... This is symptomatic of the Canadian problem that we refuse to treat our head of government as a position worthy of respect.  Official residence drafty, filled with asbestos and mold because we refuse to maintain it properly or replace it?  Check.  ... But god forbid we invest in modern equipment to support them in their work ...

Double that 84 million price tag and build some kind of super green, low carbon, house made with electric powered construction vehicles, bc trees,  mixture of first Nation and East coast astetics, Quebec construction company and a 50% gender balanced work force.

Or knock it down like a sir John a statue and build a 3 million dollar house.

(but seriously I don't see this as something we should sink a lot of money into. Seems like a waste of money)

milnews.ca said:
Also, who wants the politics of the memes saying "PM (insert name here) spent $x bazillion on his own house"?  And that goes for any PM. 

Something like, "S/he spent YOUR money on his / her house."

Re-write the constitution to eliminate the Governor General, then move the PM into Rideau Hall.

Despite it being 150 years old, it hasn't been declared a historic building. It could be demolished and a new building erected for much less than renovations would cost. The PM has other residence options as well..... Harrington Lake, Rideau Cottage, and Laurier House. There's probably more.

Edit to add:

How many places does the PM need on the taxpayer's dime? While it would be nice for everyone to have a main residence AND a cottage, it is not so. Only those that could afford it do. My opinion is that if the PM wants a cottage, they can buy one like everyone else!

Jonezy76 said:
Despite it being 150 years old, it hasn't been declared a historic building. It could be demolished and a new building erected for much less than renovations would cost. The PM has other residence options as well..... Harrington Lake, Rideau Cottage, and Laurier House. There's probably more.

Edit to add:

How many places does the PM need on the taxpayer's dime? While it would be nice for everyone to have a main residence AND a cottage, it is not so. Only those that could afford it do. My opinion is that if the PM wants a cottage, they can buy one like everyone else!

Harrington Lake (the cottage) is an official property owned by the National Capital Commission. It's used for state functions sometimes, including entertaining visiting heads of state/heads of government. It affords a Prime Ministerial family some badly needed space and privacy (and security), and it's still conveniently close to downtown Ottawa and to other locations (e.g., Wilson House) where official events are held. It's also going to need a rebuild soon.

We are a G7 country. It's embarrassing that our official residence is basically uninhabitable, and that should be fixed. Unfortunately the politics cannot be avoided. There should be a gentlemen's agreement between the CPC/LPC leaders to just get this done and not make political hay with it.

I think we should just knock it down and build new, but spend a bit of time figuring out what we want to use it for.  Probably needs a banquet hall like function, on top of living quarters plus some various workspace (both normal office and maybe a secure room).  Aside from the PM, sure it has living quarters for a variety of security/support staff, so it's a bit more complicated then a 5 bedroom house with a big hall.

Doesn't need to be massive, but it should be sufficiently impressive as the home of our PM that we don't look ridiculous. For context it's minutes from Parliament, located close to the river, and is a pretty big tourist attraction. Right down the street from several other G7 embassies; all of which are nicer then 24 Sussex.

Glad it's not a heritage building though; if it wasn't the home of the PM it would be a pretty unremarkable building on a fantastic location, and would have been knocked down decades ago.

Super ridiculous that no one has done anything about it, they spend millions a year on maintenance just to keep it from falling down.

SeaKingTacco said:
Just knock it down and move a double wide trailer on to the site.

;)
Put an ATCO in its place that way he’ll live like most of us working class.

my72jeep said:
Put an ATCO in its place that way he’ll live like most of us working class.

Say what you want about any particular PM, but the job would friggin' suck. Being an MP is already bad enough, they basically almost never get to turn it off. Being PM, with all of those same demands to start with on top of the constant huge responsibility of being head of government would be awful. I've been in a position to see a bit more of how that world works than most people get to. I don't envy anyone who has to live their entire life in a 24/7 bubble of security, knowing that there is no shortage of unhinged people who genuinely wish you or your family harm. Everything you do and anywhere you go is scrutinized- and even on 'vacation', they're almost always working.

I personally don't mind them having comfortable digs. Given that they're making decisions for our entire country, I want as much stress as possible to be removed from their day to day life, because there's more than enough coming from work. I don't care which party they're from.

Had a look at houses for sale in Rockcliffe. The most expensive listed at this time is 5.75 million. It's pretty nice. Double that and you get a really nice one. Double that again for all the security upgrades needed and you still get a pretty good shack for 20 mil. Considering that the government already owns the land it strikes me as a fair deal.

Renovate for 80 mil? You got to be shyting me?

:2c:

Back