• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/shine-on/teen-girl-loses-stomach-drinking-liquid-nitrogen-cocktail-180639813.html

Imagine it's your daughter's birthday and she'd like to find a special way to celebrate. She and her friends head to a bar known for concocting fancy cocktails. She orders one that arrives with a plume of smoke careening off the top.

Except the smoke is liquid nitrogen — a chemical element in frozen liquid state that has now become a trendy food and beverage gimmick — and when she swallows the drink it cold burns her stomach so badly doctors have to remove the entire organ. She just turned 18.

That nightmarish scenario took place in a Lancaster U.K. bar last Thursday. And as BBC News reports, Gabby Scanlon would have died had doctors not quickly removed her stomach.

Also see: Is ADHD medication helping kids or hurting them?

"This girl is the victim of an irresponsible alcohol industry that's now competing on gimmicks," Dr. John Ashton, director of public health for Cumbria, tells the news network.

"Alcohol itself is a very dangerous thing if improperly handled and liquid nitrogen is a toxic chemical. It destroys human tissue."

More commonly known for burning off warts and cryonic preservation (when humans and animals get "preserved" through freezing), liquid nitrogen has recently become a hot trend in bars and restaurants. It's part of the molecular gastronomy movement and its smoky special effects appear in everything from ice cream to fancy cocktails.

Though many foods with "dry ice" have hurtled down esophageal passages without incident, in Scanlon's case, Lancashire police are investigating just what went wrong the night she took that fateful sip.

An officer tells the BBC that Scanlon became "breathless" and reported excruciating stomach pain. At 11 p.m., she was rushed to hospital, where doctors diagnosed her with a perforated stomach and performed her life-saving surgery.

While police continue to collect details, they suspect the young woman swallowed her drink too quickly.

When that happens, the highly pressurized chemical material warms up the stomach very rapidly, releasing high volumes of air that can burst the organ altogether. Imbibers can also sustain burns to the mouth and throat.

Also see: Honest Toddler an Internet sensation among parents and non-parents alike

To save Scanlon, doctors removed her entire stomach and fused the tubes that link the stomach, esophagus and small bowel together.

The BBC notes that she will likely be able to lead a normal life, but will always have to eat in small amounts and take vitamins to ensure she gets proper nutrition.

Meanwhile, the bar where Scanlon took the worst sip of her life has reportedly stopped serving its liquid nitrogen cocktails and food inspection agencies have started warning bars and restaurants about the responsible practice of molecular gastronomy.

Once she heals, Scanlon may have a major lawsuit in the making ­— although no amount of money will ever bring back her stomach.

And parents now have an additional element to fear each time their child heads out for a night on the town.

ya for sure, sue someone else because you were stupid enough to drink liquid nitrogen

"This girl is the victim of an irresponsible alcohol industry that's now competing on gimmicks"
  :nod:

Beer and Jack Daniels -- drinks the way god intended; none of that liquid nitrogen, fruit slices, little umbrella crap.....  :cheers:

Journeyman said:
  :nod:

Beer and Jack Daniels -- drinks the way god intended; none of that liquid nitrogen, fruit slices, little umbrella crap.....  :cheers:

This is why we get  along very well.......beer and Jack.

I finally have something for threads like this!
I was driving in to work with 2 coworkers (I work in the oilfield, camp job, etc. etc.) and the topic of flu shots came up.  The gentleman in the back seat (I was driving) was asking me when the flu shots were coming out and if we were offering them (I'm a medic on the site clinic).  The gentleman to my right piped in then and the conversation went thusly:
Coworker 1: "Are you actually getting the flu shot this year?"
Coworker 2: "Yeah I think I'm going to.  I've never gotten one before but someone talked me into it this year so I'll go for it"
Coworker 1: "Well let me talk you out of it! Those poisonous things are terrible for you! All that kinda stuff is awful man, ten years down the road somebody hits the button and all that stuff gets you killed! It's all about population control, there's too many people and they want to get rid of us"

I kind of chuckled, thinking he was being sarcastic... waited... Nope.. This guy is serious.

I had no choice but to look him in the eye and say "You know it's because of people like you that things like Polio are making a comeback in the developed world right?  POLIO!"

He didn't answer and it was kind of a quiet awkward drive for the next 10 minutes into site.  Go on about the preservatives like mercury and whatnot in flu shots being unhealthy if you want and that cultivating a strong immune system and good hygiene is all you really need to not get sick.  But good grief leave the Alex Jones hysteria where it belongs, out of all reasonable discussions.  If "they" wanted to off millions and billions of people Avian flu has already been mixed with common influenza in a lab in Denmark, 50% mortality in healthy adults that spreads like wildfire, there's no need for some fancy conspiracy using flu shots.

Anti-vaxers grind my gears!  :threat:

Right up there with people like this who come to hospital:

He: I have a sore leg.

Me: What did you take for the pain?

He: Nothing. I don't take pills.

ModlrMike said:
Anti-vaxers grind my gears!  :threat:

You'd lose your mind out here Mike - lots of wingnuts out in the country.

As for the "I don't like to take pills" crowd, amazing how many of them smoke/smoke up, drink like fish and or shoot up...but won't take a tylenol, lol.

MM

medicineman said:
You'd lose your mind out here Mike - lots of wingnuts out in the country.

As for the "I don't like to take pills" crowd, amazing how many of them smoke/smoke up, drink like fish and or shoot up...but won't take a tylenol, lol.

MM
That's obvoiusly because you can't trust the big drug conglomerates but you can trust the guy living in a van down by the river that tells you the crack is safe man.... :facepalm:

Devo3733 said:
I finally have something for threads like this!
I was driving in to work with 2 coworkers (I work in the oilfield, camp job, etc. etc.) and the topic of flu shots came up.  The gentleman in the back seat (I was driving) was asking me when the flu shots were coming out and if we were offering them (I'm a medic on the site clinic).  The gentleman to my right piped in then and the conversation went thusly:
Coworker 1: "Are you actually getting the flu shot this year?"
Coworker 2: "Yeah I think I'm going to.  I've never gotten one before but someone talked me into it this year so I'll go for it"
Coworker 1: "Well let me talk you out of it! Those poisonous things are terrible for you! All that kinda stuff is awful man, ten years down the road somebody hits the button and all that stuff gets you killed! It's all about population control, there's too many people and they want to get rid of us"

I kind of chuckled, thinking he was being sarcastic... waited... Nope.. This guy is serious.

I had no choice but to look him in the eye and say "You know it's because of people like you that things like Polio are making a comeback in the developed world right?  POLIO!"

He didn't answer and it was kind of a quiet awkward drive for the next 10 minutes into site.  Go on about the preservatives like mercury and whatnot in flu shots being unhealthy if you want and that cultivating a strong immune system and good hygiene is all you really need to not get sick.  But good grief leave the Alex Jones hysteria where it belongs, out of all reasonable discussions.  If "they" wanted to off millions and billions of people Avian flu has already been mixed with common influenza in a lab in Denmark, 50% mortality in healthy adults that spreads like wildfire, there's no need for some fancy conspiracy using flu shots.

Some guy in my history class was complaining how the university is full of disease, since he and his buddy were coughing all class.

Come end of the break, both comes back smelling like they went to a tobacconist that burnt down his shop.

It's great isn't it?
Flu vaccines are unhealthy and will kill you!
But this colloidal silver health supplement off the survivalist website is all I need to live happily ever after!

... What's that? I look like papa smurf?

:facepalm:

And it doesn't help things when you have people dying from fungal meningitis contracted from steroid injections for back pain.

(it's been a stressful couple of days until the pain clinic I went to advised that they didn't purchase theirs from the problem source)

cupper said:
And it doesn't help things when you have people dying from fungal meningitis contracted from steroid injections for back pain.

(it's been a stressful couple of days until the pain clinic I went to advised that they didn't purchase theirs from the problem source)

Jeepers.  Talk about the cure being worse than the disease.  You can see where people start to get ideas.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2012/11/20121101-104544.html

Neighbour wants $25,000 for compensation over noise of boy playing basketball in his driveway

PETERBOROUGH, ON - A woman in Peterborough, ON is demanding $25,000 in compensation from her neighbour because her teenage son is playing basketball too loudly in his driveway.

Anne Langdon is also complaining a wooden panel - specially built on wheels to protect her window from an errant basketball - is blocking light from her apartment window.

Anne Elliott of Gilmour St. said she received the letter from lawyers representing Langdon last Friday.

"My client demands payment of $25,000 within 10 days of receipt of this letter for damages she has experienced, otherwise we may take legal action against you without further notice," the letter from Iler Campbell LLP Barristers and Solicitors in Toronto reads.

I really don't know what else to add to this.  Utter nonsense.

Marine allegedly mistakes vet's wheelchair as costume, assaults him

A Marine was arrested after he allegedly attacked a paralyzed Army veteran he thought was wearing the uniform and using the wheelchair as a Halloween costume, Ocala.com reported.
Dan Priotti, 35, a wheelchair-bound Army veteran, was hit twice in the head at a Gainesville, Fla., restaurant on Halloween while he was ordering food, News4jax.com reported. He said he was approached by another man who began yelling, indicating that he was faking the injury.
"He swung, slapped me, and I backed up and he missed," he told the station. "And he came at me like this, and put me right back, and I whacked my head on the concrete floor. I remember just seeing a guy in a pink tutu. I don't remember saying anything to him. I literally lost 10 minutes."
The suspect was identified by police as Christopher Dabney, a Marine veteran police said took offense at Priotti’s outfit. Dabney, 22, reportedly refused to make any statements about the incident.
Alejandro Lemoine said Dabney walked away before being stopped by patrons in the restaurant, Ocala.com reported.
"As he was leaving I stopped him and said, 'Man, you have to own up to this. You just hit a handicapped person twice. You made him fall over,'" Lemoine reportedly said.
He went on, "He was out cold. He was not responsive for at least 10 seconds. His eyes were wide open, staring at the ceiling out cold. It was really sad. I couldn't fall asleep. I felt anger."
Priotti told News4jax.com that he is recovering and does not want Dabney to go to jail.
"They should make a mockery out of him, put him in his pink tutu and put him up and down University Avenue and 13th Street, right in front of the school, with a sign that says, 'I beat up people in wheelchairs, veterans in wheelchairs,' something like that," Priotti told the station.
Dabney, meanwhile, was reportedly charged with abuse of a disabled adult without great harm.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/03/marine-in-tutu-allegedly-knocks-wheelchair-bound-veteran-unconscious/?test=latestnews#ixzz2BC1XU4ae

WR said:
Marine allegedly mistakes vet's wheelchair as costume, assaults him

A Marine was arrested after he allegedly attacked a paralyzed Army veteran he thought was wearing the uniform and using the wheelchair as a Halloween costume, Ocala.com reported.
Dan Priotti, 35, a wheelchair-bound Army veteran, was hit twice in the head at a Gainesville, Fla., restaurant on Halloween while he was ordering food, News4jax.com reported. He said he was approached by another man who began yelling, indicating that he was faking the injury.
"He swung, slapped me, and I backed up and he missed," he told the station. "And he came at me like this, and put me right back, and I whacked my head on the concrete floor. I remember just seeing a guy in a pink tutu. I don't remember saying anything to him. I literally lost 10 minutes."
The suspect was identified by police as Christopher Dabney, a Marine veteran police said took offense at Priotti’s outfit. Dabney, 22, reportedly refused to make any statements about the incident.
Alejandro Lemoine said Dabney walked away before being stopped by patrons in the restaurant, Ocala.com reported.
"As he was leaving I stopped him and said, 'Man, you have to own up to this. You just hit a handicapped person twice. You made him fall over,'" Lemoine reportedly said.
He went on, "He was out cold. He was not responsive for at least 10 seconds. His eyes were wide open, staring at the ceiling out cold. It was really sad. I couldn't fall asleep. I felt anger."
Priotti told News4jax.com that he is recovering and does not want Dabney to go to jail.
"They should make a mockery out of him, put him in his pink tutu and put him up and down University Avenue and 13th Street, right in front of the school, with a sign that says, 'I beat up people in wheelchairs, veterans in wheelchairs,' something like that," Priotti told the station.
Dabney, meanwhile, was reportedly charged with abuse of a disabled adult without great harm.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/03/marine-in-tutu-allegedly-knocks-wheelchair-bound-veteran-unconscious/?test=latestnews#ixzz2BC1XU4ae

Every guy he works with in his unit now knows that, whilst wearing a pink tute, he beat up a disabled veteran in a wheelchair. I don't think the raw facts of the case have ever been so effective in instantly delivering soul-crushing justice.

Mat Done Again (Dunigan) attempting to be an unbiased colour commentator. Good luck with that. I think he's been at the Crown Royal too much.

Bill Maher . . If you're thinking about voting for Mitt Romney, I would like to make this one plea: black people know who you are and they will come after you"

Bill Maher is a pseudo intellectual elitist pig who thinks the worst thing to be in America is someone with a blue collar job, and if you don't think like him you're a moron... hmmmmm... where have I heard that recently?

Jim Seggie said:
Mat Done Again (Dunigan) attempting to be an unbiased colour commentator. Good luck with that. I think he's been at the Crown Royal too much.

Could just be the twenty or thirty major concussions he received during his career.

Back