• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What to bring to the Field- Tips and Tricks

I don't have a problem handing out a few smokes. I don't have a problem handing out a pack of smokes.

I DO have a problem handing out a pack of smokes to the same people on every exercise. I don't know if you smoke or not, but it is bloody expensive. I choose to smoke, and I can afford to buy my own cigarettes. Simple as that.

When it gets to the point where we go out for a week, and people only bring 1 pack, when they are a pack a day smokers, that is ridiculous. I am not your smoke fairy, I am not rich, and I will not keep supplying you with cigarettes. One or two, here and there, perfectly acceptable. A pack because you forgot one? Sure, shit happens.

A pack every few days, every exercise. Hell no. If you want smokes that bad, you can buy them off me.

When I first joined, there was a guy who had been in for a couple years. He kept bumming smokes off me and other people (a pack at a time), so I started keeping a tally. Over 3 years, he bummed 8 CARTONS of smokes. Enough said.

I am not perfect, I forget smokes, and when I do need one, fellow smokers are more than happy to give me one, because I share and share-alike.

As for spouting off about morale? I mentioned morale once...saying that candy raises morale.

Sorry, I guess your comment just rubbed me the wrong way. I can see how my previous comment could be viewed, but it is just one of those things that really grates on my nerves.

Dkeh said:
I DO have a problem handing out a pack of smokes to the same people on every exercise. I don't know if you smoke or not, but it is bloody expensive. I choose to smoke, and I can afford to buy my own cigarettes. Simple as that.

And smokes/dip/whatever are LUXURY items.

It's not like you're hoarding water in 50 degree heat, or a spare sleeping bag in -40.

If you're generally good enough to share, but it's being taken advantage of, charge 'em.

R031button said:
Tobbaco, smoker or chewer or neither, having a smoke for a guy that's run out is instant moral.
Alternatively you can wait three weeks and then sell them at a massively inflated price >:D

recceguy said:
So much for your spouting off about keeping up the morale of your section mates.

I don't know how things are done elsewhere, but we used to call that 'buddy fucking' and still do.

Hmmm, so thats what our field canteen was doing when they raised the price $5 / pack.

Thank god I do not smoke anymore.

I bring my wife, she carries everything, cleans and cooks.
Sorry mom you were slowing me down.

PS she wears a shemagh!

Selling them at overly inflated prices vice a small profit for inconvenience are two very different things.

Constantly supplying the same leech is ridiculous. Have the balls to say no.

I also don't know about other provinces, but I know one unit, in Ontario, that got in dutch with the MPs and the DJAG for selling smokes in the canteen without a provincial license. It's illegal, whether in the field or not.

recceguy said:
Selling them at overly inflated prices vice a small profit for inconvenience are two very different things.

Constantly supplying the same leech is ridiculous. Have the balls to say no.

I also don't know about other provinces, but I know one unit, in Ontario, that got in dutch with the MPs and the DJAG for selling smokes in the canteen without a provincial license. It's illegal, whether in the field or not.

I should have clarified the price. I smoke a pack a day, but bring enough smokes for 2 packs per day. I pay $11.50 per pack, and sell them at $15.
It is too bad about it being illegal, our canteen was considering it, but decided against it for the same reason you supplied.

GhostofJacK said:
-I have found that a small pillow gives you a much better sleep in the field than bunched up cloths or a stump. You don't need your king-size pillot from home, but there are nice ones that are like 16"x10" (guesstimate)

I have had one of these zipper stuff-in-crap pillows for years (mine is OG, but it looks like they are CADPAT now).  What a great, unassuming piece of kit which is not only light and take up little space, but has been most welcome at nights with its fuzzy softness sleeping side.

http://www.cpgear.com/StoreBox/bnc/2096_0.htm

You could probably make one for a fraction of the price, but for those of us who are lazy, it is worth the 25 bones. 

MC

MedCorps said:
I have had one of these zipper stuff-in-crap pillows for years (mine is OG, but it looks like they are CADPAT now).  What a great, unassuming piece of kit which is not only light and take up little space, but has been most welcome at nights with its fuzzy softness sleeping side.

You could probably make one for a fraction of the price, but for those of us who are lazy, it is worth the 25 bones. 

MC

I just pack the fleece pillow case fill it with my cadpats or coat and boom a good pillow.

my72jeep said:
I just pack the fleece pillow case fill it with my cadpats or coat and boom a good pillow.

I made one out of a spare fleece sweater...comfy goodness ;)

It sits in the top of my ruck and holds things like my scarf and other little things.

A lightweight folding pruning saw.

You can cut through the wrist thick branches, or rope, day or night, without all the friggin' noise and hassle (and injuries) caused by flailing away with a heavy machete or Rambo knife. It also doesn't leave huge shiny wood chips behind that give you away faster to a sharp bad guy.

MedCorps said:

MC

The new ice coat [or at least sort of new since I just joined the past year] has a zipper on it which you can use to stuff the coat inside itself and create the same type of pillow...I'm not sure if the new rain jacket has the same capability, too lazy to check. Anyway if all else fails I just ball up a bunch of clothes  :2c:

I used to just ball up some clothes, but I have to say, after having a pillow in the field, I will never go back  ;D

I've noticed a few folks making reference to small camp stoves.

Years ago ( Mid 90s) I bought a small British Army Hexamine stove. It's a simple fold up affair, that stores the solid fuel blocks inside when not in use. Fairly cheap if you find them in a surplus shop. Coghlans makes one that looks identical, but I don't know if the metal is as robust.

For the small space that it takes up in a ruck, pack, or pouch....I find I always stow it. Very nice to simply light and have it boil up some water, or heat something up. The fuel says it burns up to 10 mins, but I've found it's more like 7-8.

Found one in the UK, but I'm sure there are tons available here in NA.

http://www.meanandgreen.com/army/Mil-com/Solid_Fuel_Hexamine_Cooker_and_Tablets/3330/1171.html

If i'm not mistaken, didn't we stop handing hexamine out? I love the "MAY CAUSE DEATH" warning ;D

Bluebulldog said:
I've noticed a few folks making reference to small camp stoves.

Years ago ( Mid 90s) I bought a small British Army Hexamine stove. It's a simple fold up affair, that stores the solid fuel blocks inside when not in use. Fairly cheap if you find them in a surplus shop. Coghlans makes one that looks identical, but I don't know if the metal is as robust.

For the small space that it takes up in a ruck, pack, or pouch....I find I always stow it. Very nice to simply light and have it boil up some water, or heat something up. The fuel says it burns up to 10 mins, but I've found it's more like 7-8.

Found one in the UK, but I'm sure there are tons available here in NA.

http://www.meanandgreen.com/army/Mil-com/Solid_Fuel_Hexamine_Cooker_and_Tablets/3330/1171.html

I remember using something similar, and I think it was in Canada. The stove did work quite well, except that the stand was not all that secure on hard or frozen ground. I am also fairly certain that it was an issue item. My serious field time ended more than thirty years ago, so I can't be more precise.

C4 works great.....just saying..... ;D

Dkeh said:
If i'm not mistaken, didn't we stop handing hexamine out? I love the "MAY CAUSE DEATH" warning ;D
They used to include hexamine squares in oooooooooooold Canadian ration packs (still with cans o' food, if memory serves?).

I have some kicking around in my kit room (read: closet) somewhere. I "tactically acquired" them, before they made their way to the dump.

They smell like shit :)

Back