• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

what pilots do when they are not flying?

Let me get back to that ground fog incident.

You see it in the early morning or early evening, and sometimes it will role in in the middle of the night when the temperature on the ground drops just enough to match the dew point.  You'll usually see it when driving past a swamp or marshy area.

Although you can see the helicopter and they can see the LZ, they can't see the ground, which means they can't land.  Imagine a 1.5-2 foot stump/post/peg/whatever, sticking out of the ground exactly where the aircraft tends to land, but they can't see it.  An easy way to kill a good day -- and now you have to take care of at least 3 less than impressed aircrew who can't go anywhere until the MRP shows up/

HOM, I'm sure you've seen the same type of weather when running the road to the heliport in the early morn.

GO!!!, as for you, I have NEVER heard you say ANYTHING positive about the AF.  Sure, you have issues with the tac hel Sqn nearby, but they are dealing with far bigger issues than YOU and your guys, so give it a break already.  They have a priority right now and you are probably not on the top of their list of people to please.

I could sit there and yammer on about bad grids, LZs that were suposedly fit but were sadly lacking by a good 20 feet, and FAC that couldn't control worth beans (maybe why the 18 had to do 5 runs?).  However I won't, because it would be illogical to paint the whole Army with a negative view, because that would mean that EVERYONE sucks, which is stupid.  (Well, everyone except HoM that is. ;D)

I hope I never have to work with you because if I had to put up with that attitude at all there would be a quick little stop to let you out and find your own way home.  Harsh, I know, but I'm sick of the negativity.

Strike,

I can see where you are coming from with the "too much negativity" comment, but in all seriousness, easily 4/5 of my experiences with the Canadian Air Force can be easily categorised as negative - from the airbus, to hercs and griffons, parachuting, rapelling, helocasting, airmobile, extractions, insertions - it always seems that we are the very last priority, and no matter how well we prepare and how nice we are, there is almost always seems to be someone in a wedge saying that that day's event will not be happening - then hopping in his rental and driving away.

I'm not saying that there are'nt bigger issues, or ones transparent to me that are at play - but when 90% of the a/c I am supposed to be transported in are "notional" LSVW-146s, piloted by tpt platoon, and probably half of our jumps are stop dropped for a whole host of reasons - what am I to think?

It might sound too negative, but it's the truth from my vantage point.

then hopping in his rental and driving away.

Or in my case, stomping off to my tent.  Other than transiting aircraft I've only had one Ex where I was lucky enough to stay in a hotel.  ;D

I guess I was a little rough too.  I'm a little cranky after being grounded for awhile and on meds that don't seem to do anything...which brings an answer to what we do when we are not flying.

Right now, I am catching up on quarterly and semi readings.  Sooooo much fun, let me say.  Although there is always something new to learn and the only way you can find out what ammendments have been made.

I also learned that the BGA-100 CF Flying Orders refer to UAVs as Uninhabited Aerial Vehicles (which annoys me to no end) whereas the 1 Cdn Air Div Orders refer to them as Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (much prefered in my opinion). UFI, I know.

I also pick up any weekend duties that are required and can put a little more attention to my secondary duties.

Seems to be the consensus from the pilots that have posted already.

I was thinking - it's too bad we can't do unit/job exchanges between the elements.

It would be pretty interesting to be the aircrew, and see what has to be done in terms of pre - flight checks, while they were put through the paces of a flight refresher, and then dressed, full kit, with snowshoes and whites >:D to wait for the plane. 

Given the op tempo of some units, it would probably be tough - but it would definitely lead to a greater appreciation of what the other half is doing!

Speaking of the "other half" would anyone from 408 care to comment on the goings - on at CMTC on this last rotation? Rumour has it that there were a few hitches with the VIP schedule...

GO!!! said:
I was thinking - it's too bad we can't do unit/job exchanges between the elements.

Like, say, take a company sergeant major from an infantry battalion, and make him a Steward for a day?
"Here's your sandwich, you hairy &*$%!"

I smell Reality TV pitch.

Just as long as it doesn't include having them sit in the cockpit for a flight.

"Wow, that's a lot of buttons and switches.  What are these two red handles that say 'Fire' for?  Do we pull them to 'fire' up the engines?  Oh, and why do I keep getting an 'OVER TRQ' light?  What does that mean?"

;D

Strike said:

"Wow, that's a lot of buttons and switches.  What are these two red handles that say 'Fire' for?  Do we pull them to 'fire' up the engines?  Oh, and why do I keep getting an 'OVER TRQ' light?  What does that mean?"

;D

Must be nice to only have 2 engines to worry about !!

Strike said:

...or listening to pilots in flight racks

"ow! this harness hurts!, what?? pull myself up on those straps? are you nuts? what about my manicure? reserve chute? what do I need that for? pilots don't make mistakes - that's why we're pilots! this is hard - should'nt the aircrew be doing this?"

;D

probum non poenitet said:
Like, say, take a company sergeant major from an infantry battalion, and make him a Steward for a day?
"Here's your sandwich, you hairy &*$%!"

"What??  You want WHAT!!??  You didn't pack for this flight didja?  DIDJA!!??  You think I make up kit lists for my own frriggin' use?? GET OUT!!!  Big friggin' deal 40 thousand feet.  OUT!!  NOW!!!!"

Sign me up...

GO!!! said:
it always seems that we are the very last priority, and no matter how well we prepare and how nice we are, there is almost always seems to be someone in a wedge saying that that day's event will not be happening
Unfortunately, that is all too true.

Tac Hel exists, as I have stated here several times, to support you guys on the ground.

Unfortunately, our ability to do that, with everything else thrown in, and undermanning of aircrew and groundcrew, seems to be less and less each day/week/month/year.

It frustrates us too  - especially me, as one of the guys trying to te-up support for ground units. I spent more than one year in the militia as a private. While I have not had the pleasure of meeting Mr Taliban face-to-face, I did enough to get far more than just a taste of your side, and that is my principle motivation in my current function.

Saying "no", or, even worse, "about those helicopters that we said you were getting...", gives me absolutely no job satisfaction at all. And the shortage of resources increases my workload as I attempt to find support elsewhere (we are fortunate here in that I have four Squadrons to draw from at times) or negotiate alternate days or times back and forth between interested parties.

I do this while remembering the good old days, when we were flying two or more trips a day and couldn't find enough real missions to support, finding a serviceable helicopter was not a challenge, and neither was finding qualified and current crewmembers (especially aircraft captains).

We do the best that we can with what we have to work with, both personnel and equipment. I cannot speak for 408 Sqn, but they were handed the TUAV job a couple of years ago and that has drawn off a significant number of techs and more experineced pilots. I'd bet that those guys would much prefer to be flying helicopters than doing the UAV thing.

I'd like to be able to pick up every single tired, hungry, cold, wet, and muddy Soldier and bring him/her back from the middle of nowhere, but we just don't have the means to do that.

This may come off a little brash but here goes,  I tend to talk and debate about stuff I know, not about stuff that I do not have all the facts about unless I add a caveate. I do not try use a broad brush to paint a whole element in a bad light.  If I related all the unflattering, stupid, dangerous, or Charlie Foxtrot stories I have witnessed over the years , that here some might be embarrassed enough to remuster.

Some of you youngn's haven't figured it out yet... We are on the same freaking team.  This, that, yip, yap, some of you sound like a bunch of snot nosed Lil rapscallions... Get some friggen time in and make for some intelligent debates... or use some humor here.

Now back to the topic at hand..."what pilots do when they are not flying?"...

Some (pilots) have been known to use Romulian Cloaking Devices immediately after their Debriefs, some have been rumored to hang with the "Tavelocity Gnome" and some actually take extra courses i.e"

"Tactical Hair Care Products for the Modern Battlefield",
"Oakley's the Ultimate Accessory for Flight Suits", and my personal favorite
"How to win the Army Ironman Competition with less than 1 hr of PT a day"

Statutory Holidays + Weekends off + Annual Leave taken since I enlisted = 3794 days or 10.4 years.

Cheers
Pop

Popurhedoff said:
"Tactical Hair Care Products for the Modern Battlefield",

:rofl:

Personally, I listen to the purple Kangaroo's recommendations.  ;D

Popurhedoff said:
you sound like a bunch of snot nosed Lil rapscallions

You owe me a new keyboard, Rapscallions...geez show your age there old man!  ;)

Popurhedoff said:
Statutory Holidays + Weekends off + Annual Leave taken since I enlisted = 3794 days or 10.4 years.

More days off then I have days in uniform, so what was the airforce like when they piloted terydactyl?

HitorMiss said:
More days off then I have days in uniform, so what was the airforce like when they piloted trydactyl?

Well FOD clean-up on the runway was a pretty crappy job.... ;D

HitorMiss said:
... so what was the airforce like when they piloted terydactyl?

Kids were seen and not heard :p  and the Teryldactyl had an army guy in each claw... the original "Dumb Bombs"

No Organic FOD Haggis... just Hugh organic land mines  :(

Popurhedoff said:

.....having enough time to sit around and calculate that - priceless.  ;)

Go!!!.........you with 3VP? I think one of the snafu's with us involved you guys also. Heard the scuttle at work but never payed attention. I'll ask next week and find out how many Generals were "inconvienced".

GO!!! said:
.....having enough time to sit around and calculate that - priceless.  ;)
Kids  ;D  why sit around with a pencil (non mechanical)  and cypher that... get with the times and use an excel worksheet  ;D

I could send you a copy... it will also calculate your time in  in Years, months, days, hours, minutes, and guess what... hold the F9 key and it gives it to you in running seconds... it will give you percentages of time in service vs civie time,  calculate your happiness factor  :)
All you have to do it enter your Birthdate, date enrolled and your retirement date...  the program does the rest...  people have been adding to it over the years...  feel free to add to it.

Having the experience and time in to enjoy that 6th week on annual leave/per year may not be priceless... but I enjoy it  :dontpanic:

"How to win the Army Ironman Competition with less than 1 hr of PT a day"

I noticed no one jumped in on THAT little point...
;D ;D

Back