• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What low lives

larry Strong

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from CTV News:

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2008/07/22/6228926-sun.html

Depraved robbers pepper spray girl
UPDATED: 2008-07-22 02:33:20 MST

Thugs don't spare daughter while attacking hotel owner

By BILL KAUFMANN, SUN MEDIA

While he held his tot daughter, a Strathmore hotelier was sprayed with bear mace and clobbered with a hammer by a pair of brazen robbers yesterday.

At 10:20 a.m., two masked men in bright construction coveralls barged into the Wheatland Inn and doused both Mo Gill and his one-year-old daughter, Simran, with the potent concoction.

Gill was then severely beaten on the head before the robbers stole an undisclosed amount of cash, possibly fleeing through holes cut in a pair of barbed-wire-topped fences behind the hotel to a getaway pickup truck with a waiting driver.

Leaving Strathmore Regional hospital four hours after the assault, a bloodied Gill was helped by another man as he held a large ice pack against the left side of his face.

"It was my daughter, Simran," an emotional Gill, confirming the other victim, said through intense pain.

"I'm going into Calgary to see an eye doctor."

Both men said Gill had been struck with a hammer.

Another family member, Paul, later said both father and daughter were doing well, but Strathmore RCMP Cpl. Patty Neely said the little girl was caught fully in the bear spray discharge.

"They needed saline solution to clear her eyes so it seemed pretty direct," said Neely.

The Mountie expressed particular revulsion over the assault.

"It's troubling to think the presence of a small child wouldn't deter someone from attacking with bear spray," said Neely.

"The child was absolutely, completely undeserving of this."

She said the RCMP station is only two blocks from the hotel.

"It was definitely high-risk ... they had a plan," said Neely.

A hotel restaurant staff member, who didn't want to be identified, heard commotion and screams.

"We're left scared and shocked -- this is absolutely unbelievable," said the employee.

Town manager Dwight Stanford echoed those sentiments.

"We're disappointed someone would spray a child with pepper spray ... this is normally a very safe community and we love it here," he said, adding he doubts the offenders lived in the community, which RCMP say has a considerable transient worker presence.

The culprits' getaway truck is described as dark burgundy-coloured with a crew cab.

One of the suspects had shoulder-length, wavy blond hair.

Anyone with information on the case is asked to call Strathmore RCMP at 403-934-3968

What would possess a person to do something like this. Yeesh.

and not to take away from the story, but I think by reproducing it in full you are voiding any protection under the Fair Dealing provision.

adaminc said:

and not to take away from the story, but I think by reproducing it in full you are voiding any protection under the Fair Dealing provision.

Please provide your sources and references.  This is the applicable extract from the Copyright Act.

http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html

Fair Dealing

29. Fair dealing for the purpose of research or private study does not infringe copyright.

R.S., 1985, c. C-42, s. 29; R.S., 1985, c. 10 (4th Supp.), s. 7; 1994, c. 47, s. 61; 1997, c. 24, s. 18.

29.1 Fair dealing for the purpose of criticism or review does not infringe copyright if the following are mentioned:

(a) the source; and

(b) if given in the source, the name of the

(i) author, in the case of a work,

(ii) performer, in the case of a performer's performance,

(iii) maker, in the case of a sound recording, or

(iv) broadcaster, in the case of a communication signal.

1997, c. 24, s. 18.

29.2 Fair dealing for the purpose of news reporting does not infringe copyright if the following are mentioned:

(a) the source; and

(b) if given in the source, the name of the

(i) author, in the case of a work,

(ii) performer, in the case of a performer's performance,

(iii) maker, in the case of a sound recording, or

(iv) broadcaster, in the case of a communication signal.

1997, c. 24, s. 18.

adaminc said:

If you don't think your not going to catch some flak over that quote, think again.

As to your question, probally a person who would worry about voiding the Fair Dealing Provision.

Too bad we no longer use public humiliation to add to the retribution component of sentencing. These guys would be perfect candidates for the town's stocks. I wonder what the reception would be like for them if they were exposed, helpless, to the jeers of people who knew that they attacked a little girl...

North Star I have been long an advocate for public humiliation:

Stocks and Pillories....Here's how I'd work it.

Every Sunday in summer in a major park. Charge admission. Victims get in free.
Victims get to hurl rotten produce at the criminals who robbed them. Victims get this for free as well. Everyone else either brings their own rotten vegetables or buys rotten ones from the local grocers who has a surplus.
No hard objects maybe be thrown ie large rocks, wood, baseballs etc. Very small rocks (pebbles) are acceptable, as are overripe tomatos.

Thoughts?

I'm having flashbacks to Monty Python's Life of Brian...

I'd say no throwing. A small pebble can quickly become a baseball to the noggin!

North Star, we can ditch the small rocks etc and make all stuff thrown soft and mushy.....porridge is good!! Rotten tomatoes or potatoes would be good.

Back