• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What Does it Take to "Know" What You're Talking About?

FuzzyLogic

Inactive
Reaction score
Can the average Canadian form a fair opinion of the Afghan mission simply by watching and reading the news?

Apparently not:

http://cjunk.blogspot.com/2007/03/afghanistan-you-dont-know-diddly.html

Canadian support for the Afghan mission is important.  Without it, government leaders will be tempted to pull back.  But, what information do Canadians use to form their opinions?  It's one thing for soldiers to have an opinion; they've either been there or have direct access to those who have.  Most Canadian soldiers seem to support the mission; but without public support, the mission will very likely fail simply because poll minded governments will be tempted to pull out.  What a waste of life and effort if that happens!

Canadian opinion on the mission is also regional.  Quebec offers the lowest support, while Alberta the highest.  Ontario seems to sway back and forth somewhere in the middle.  What are average Canadians using to base their opinions on?

FuzzyLogic said:
...  What are average Canadians using to base their opinions on?

They're "feelings", and what they've "heard" - same as usual.  And to be fair, the same as most people in the world.

I think this phenomenon is more of a personal failing for those residing in the western democracies, as there is unfettered access to all points of view.

Roy

The problem, here again, is Canadians are not getting the "complete story", it seems to be one sided and public opinion is based solely on what they hear from the media. The government seems to have lost its voice. I think if Harper himself, were to publically voice to Canadians the importance of the mission and the reasons why we're there, Canadians may have a completely different perspective and be more willing to support it, once they've heard the other side of the story.

As we all know the media spin doctors have a way of swaying public opinion either way.

To me it was weak.  It didn't shed enough light on the topic.  I guess it was just a blog and trying to paint a broad picture, but I'm really starting to get fed up with the ignorance of Canadian citizens that we are protecting.  I just got back from a class where a student posted posters all over campus saying to pull out the troops, and he even had the balls to start talking in class about it.  I'm going to quit here before I say something stupid.  So fed up and so mad...

I personally am concerned that our Harper will do a Bush ... that is do the right thing, but not sell it.  The Bushites have been incredibly bad at communicating their intent and what they are doing and accomplishing.  If Harper doesn't communicate clearly and loudly what the CF is doing at all levels in Afghanistan; then the pacifist crowd will be heard instead.  He's not going to get much help from the media.

Communications is Bush' biggest problem, I agree whole heartedly with that statement. Bush say's "Axis of Evil", then invades Iraq. That of course, would make North Korea and Iran alert, as they should be with statements like that. I just hope that Bush, Harper, and Blair don't try and bite off a chunk they might choke or gag on.

- Choi

... some would say that Bush is choking on Iraq right now.

Communications are only one of Bush's many problems.

Frankly, it wouldn't take much for Canada to begin "choking" on Afghanistan.  We had our finest moments last summer, yet public opinion for the mission dropped as a result ... the winter has been quiet ... and public opinion is up.  Iraq is a different kettle of fish ... but Afghanistan is as big and just about as populated.  I wonder what'll happen if the "enemy" decides to put more effort there, instead of in Iraq?  I wonder what'll happen if the enemy decides to do an Iraq, and start butchering civilians, like in Iraq, (like in the Kabul market this week.)  After all, they don't have to win on the battle field, all they have to do is destroy Canadian public support by slaughtering civilians ... and we lose.

FuzzyLogic said:
all they have to do is destroy Canadian public support by slaughtering civilians ... and we lose.

If the politicians in power are in a minority governement or don't support it, yes.

So where's the public support??? Step it up I say. It's not that hard, we just have to get the "media" involved and scrap the CBC, much like how Milosevic did. Of course on a smaller scale and much, much less primitive. Open to suggestions..

I completely agree with you although my University is not quite as revolutionary if thats the right word as some others, but that may be due to the fact that it is in Edmonton, and is a rather Conservative Christian University. I still find it hard to get consistent news reports on the Afghan mission, as previously mentioned the only news that I ever see is rather discouraging. That is with the exception of the reports given on this site from those there but those are still biased but much less so as shown in the reporting of anything which the members are permitted due to security reason I can understand not releasing everything. Keep up the good work we are all supporting you.

Shay

Well, we cheered in the theater during the new movie 300 as loud as we could during the DND advertisement. Everyone else in the packed theater cheered reluctantly. I bet we could do the same thing in Quebec City. A good percentage of people are followers, they follow leaders just like Germans in WW2. Now I'm not saying be a revolutionary, but if you know what you are doing, it's not that hard. Also, Serbia scored lowest on I.Q levels during the Euro I.Q tests last year, Germany scored highest...are these figures biased?? Maybe, but who knows right? I'm very curious to see how Canada scores, considering they are absolutely inadmissible.

Explain why you completely agree with me Cdtbosn? Have you ever been to FRY?

ronnychoi said:
Also, Serbia scored lowest on I.Q levels during the Euro I.Q tests last year, Germany scored highest...are these figures biased?? Maybe, but who knows right? I'm very curious to see how Canada scores, considering they are absolutely inadmissible.

1. Cite you're sources on the Euro IQ tests.
2. Explain how you think that because the German populace "followed" Hitler, that they have the highest IQ of Europe. It would be interesting to hear how the children/adults born after 1945 were influenced so much by Hitler that it contributed so immensely to their IQ. Its also ridiculous to compare German education to Serbian education for several reasons. The first being that since the end of WW2 Germany has experienced a large, continuous growth in their economy to become the largest economic power in Europe and one of the Top 3 in the world, so obviously their education system would be ages ahead of the Serbian system where the GDP per capita is almost $25000 less that Germany. Also UN imposed sanctions between 1992-95 didn't help the education system and for that matter the country as a whole.

So if basically you're argument revolves around comparing the intelligence of a 1st world country to that of a 3rd world country.

Gimpy said:
Germany has experienced a large, continuous growth in their economy to become the largest economic power in Europe and
one of the Top 3 in the world, so obviously their education system would be ages ahead of the Serbian system where the GDP
per capita is almost $25000 less that Germany.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the link beetween the economy of a country and the education system in it.
For me, a big economy mean that the government has probably more money to spend, not that
it's invest in education, and not that a education system with lost of money spend toward it is good.

Did I miss something?

Yrys said:
I'm sorry, but I don't see the link beetween the economy of a country and the education system in it.
For me, a big economy mean that the government has probably more money to spend, not that
it's invest in education, and not that a education system with lost of money spend toward it is good.

Did I miss something?

How about a more obvious example...witness

Africa.

You can't afford an education system at all if the money isn't there. Even if the funds are there and diverted elsewhere...it is the people who will suffer. Insufficient education funding results in an insufficient education.

The Librarian said:
Even if the funds are there and diversted elsewhere...it is the people who will suffer.

So you're essentially saying that a government that has funds but don't put it into education
will have people with insufficient education, right?

(small hijack : there is a new school in South Africa, due to Oprah  :) )

Édith: spell check, sight!

Yrys said:
So you're essentially saying that a government that has funds but don't put it into education
will have people with insufficient education, right?

(small hijack : there is a new school in South Africa, due to Oprah  :) )

Édith: spell check, sight!

Sure, and to link it to the topic...

People with insufficient, inadequte, or no education tend to fair lower on IQ tests as Gimpy has pointed out.

In responce to: "Explain why you completely agree with me Cdtbosn?" ronnychoi
Ronny, I agree with you that many Canadians my self included do not know enough about the conflict in Afghanistan to be able to make educated decisions about the use of military forces or not, this is on of the biggest problems in a democracy that if the voters which I am still not a part of (as I've yet to be able to vote) are not educated on on the subject which is being discussed or ores yet are only receiving one half of the story, in this case the negative aspects, they cannot make wise informed choices about where they should lay their support. This is what I feel is happening in Canada now which is something that must be remedied how I cannot say other then that which has already been mentioned by better communication from those in power. I personally feel that many Canadians are behind the military but when all they ever hear on the news is the mistakes of soldiers and accidents they begin to think that this is the whole story and that the military is a group of bumbling idiots which from the interactions I've had with members of the Canadian Armed Forces is far from the truth.

May I suggest, CdtBosn, that you make shorter sentences ?
It will be easier on the reading eyes. Thanks.

Back