• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

Dimsum said:
It's pretty good.  The Human Division by the same author is pretty good as well, although less sex.  :-\

If you (or anyone reading this) is a Trek fan, read his book Redshirts.

Just finished "Human Division" which is an excellent book. The whole "Old Man" series is quite fine (albeit "Zoe's Tale" is a bit different as its written from a teenage girl's point of view but still fits into the series quite well)

:cheers:

I started reading the first Game of Thrones book, I wasn't a fan of the show but I am liking the book so far.

I just finished Harlequin, Vagabond, Heretic, 1356 and Azincourt, all by Bernard Cornwell, all about archers during the Hundred Years War.

I will start Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, which is apparently on the U.S. Marine Corps Professional Reading List.

Enders Game is an awesome read (as are all of the Cornwell books ;-) ) Especially if you haven't seen the movie yet.
I am a huge Cornwell fan as well and have just about everything he's ever written. My favourite series are the Saxon stories about Uthred of Bebbanburgh, great character..

Just finished reading "Clearing the Way: Combat Engineers in Kandahar 23 Field Squadron." edited by Major Mark Gasparotto for some research on Op Madusa.

Generally I'm not to interested in engineer stories but I quite enjoyed reading this book. I think that was primarily due to the style which started with an overview (combat diary) by Gasparotto himself and then a number of vignettes by various individuals in the Squadron. All-in-all it was a very compelling story highlighting the difficulties encountered and overcome by these sappers.

I highly recommend it but have one caution; my Kindle edition for some reason did not contain the maps and photos that are in the print version of the book. You can view them however at Google.Books.

http://www.amazon.ca/Clearing-Way-Mark-Gasparotto/dp/1926582594

:cheers:

Journeyman said:
Old Sweat, thank you.  Like I said, the curiosity factor just wasn't enough to trump the reading time available.  Now that I know the premise -- "after more than a dozen years of being convinced, former SIGINT'er discovers secret documents that 'prove' Dieppe was all about SIGINT" -- I'll definitely give it a pass.

Even Herbert Marcuse, the godfather of the dehumanizing effects of capitalism, is quoted as saying "not every problem you're having with your girlfriend is necessarily due to the capitalist mode of production."

Just finished "One Day in August".  I have a particular dislike for authors who add emphasis when quoting source documents without acknowledging that it is theirs, and not in the original - and an end-not doesn't cut it.

Credit for originality - according to O'Keefe, Ian Fleming of James Bond fame was really one of the prime instigators of the raid.  His assertion in his epilogue that "the evidence is irrefutable that the pinch formed the main driver for Operation Jubilee" may be true, but if it is, that evidence is not to be found in the book.  He ignores the human penchant to continue down a chosen path.  He selectively acknowledges that sometimes, patronage explains the "who" more than competence does.  (A particular problem in a class conscious society such as the UK).  He does acknowledge the poor "joint" planning in support of the raid, at least (good to see that some things never change).  And he provides some interesting history of the work at Bletchley Park.

An interesting read for much of the history it contains, but not so much for the theorizing.

Half way through the "The Iron King" by Maurice Druon. This is first in a series about the conflict between various families contending for the French throne in the 14th century and the outbreak of the Hundred Years War. George R. R. Martin has acknowledged that this was one of his inspiration for his "A Song of Ice and Fire" series of books which was made into the HBO series "Game of Thrones."

Ring of fire, edited by Eric Flint, about a 1998 US mining town plunked down into Germany during the 30 year war. Slowly and haphazardly picking my way through the series.

Just finished reading "Sharpe's Trafalgar" by Bernard Cornwell.  In this book, Sharpe is sailing to England and ends up meeting Lord Admiral Nelson and participating in the famous battle against the French and Spanish armada.  I will let people a lot more knowledgable on Naval history comment on how accurate the authors description of life on a British warship in this time period was, but to this army guy based on my visit to the HMS Victory when I was a kid they seemed accurate. 

Andrew Bacevich, The New American Militarism: How Americans are Seduced by War -- 2012 Updated Version

I'm about 1/2 - 2/3 through it; I'll likely wrap it up tomorrow, since the patio weather is more conducive to reading than scenery-admiration.

It's an interesting premise, examining the militarization of US society (not just the political/military leadership) since Vietnam, in which no one President/political party can be blamed.  Parts of it resonates within Canada (ie - our recent "Support the Troops" mantra being a mile wide and an inch deep echoes the similar US view as the default "must do" for every politician regardless of stripe, becoming even more important than actually having served, which was the previous gold standard).  The majority however is clearly focused on American exceptionalism....for better or, in this case, worse.

He tends to write repetitively with small words and examples, because its criticisms make it a sure target for dissection and he doesn't want to be misunderstood.....with an occasional sprinkling of larger words or historical minutiae, probably to demonstrate that he's no longer an Armour officer.  ;)  Regardless, I'm enjoying the subject and the style.

BernDawg said:
Enders Game is an awesome read (as are all of the Cornwell books ;-) ) Especially if you haven't seen the movie yet.
SO true - glad I read before I viewed.

An unusual choice I'm starting:  "Anti-Capitalist Resistance Comic Book: From the WTO to the G2O"
51abbjwZaKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Part of my "always good to know how the other side thinks/what glasses they wear" education  ;)

I've started reading "The quest for the Lost Roman Legions. Discovering the Varus battlefield" by Tony Clunn. It chronicles Major T Clunn's search for the battlefield where the 17th, 18th, & 19th Roman legions met their fate.

Larry

milnews.ca said:
An unusual choice I'm starting:  "Anti-Capitalist Resistance Comic Book: From the WTO to the G2O"
And you're going to colour outside the lines now, aren't you?  You radical!!  ;)

RangerRay said:
The War that Ended Peace by Margaret Macmillan.  Very fascinating.
One of my favourites on the lead-in to WW1.  :nod:

She touches all the crucial points, personalities, and timelines, but writes in an easy to understand manner (which is why I think some "professional Great War followers"TM have trashed-talked it.)

Journeyman said:
And you're going to colour outside the lines now, aren't you?  You radical!!  ;)
Colour free or die, baby!  ;D  It's actually interesting to see how some in the anarchist, pro-Black Bloc side views the history of protests like the "Battle in Seattle".

Obscure spoiler alert from the book so far:  When cue balls and hockey pucks are outlawed, only outlaws will own cue balls and hockey pucks.

I just finished Halifax- The Warden of the North by Thomas Raddall.  A great read if you like maritime history.  Covers pre-settlement  to the 1970's in an easy to read overview.  I also just started A Brief History of Mutiny- Furious, Savage, and Bloody: 400 years of rebellion by Richard Woodman.  Only 15 pages in but looks like it will be a good one as well.

Brian Godman's "The Secret Language of Doctors"...I've learned a few new descriptors/acronyms, but now really have to think before I speak, since the cat's out of the bag  :nod:

MM

I should also note that the last book I read before The War that Ended Peace was Last Child in the Woods: Saving our children from nature deficit disorder.

http://www.amazon.ca/Last-Child-Woods-Children-Nature-Deficit/dp/156512605X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401466113&sr=1-1&keywords=last+child+in+the+woods

"I like to play indoors better 'cause that's where all the electrical outlets are," reports a fourth-grader. Never before in history have children been so plugged in—and so out of touch with the natural world. In this groundbreaking new work, child advocacy expert Richard Louv directly links the lack of nature in the lives of today's wired generation—he calls it nature deficit—to some of the most disturbing childhood trends, such as rises in obesity, Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), and depression.

Some startling facts: By the 1990s the radius around the home where children were allowed to roam on their own had shrunk to a ninth of what it had been in 1970. Today, average eight-year-olds are better able to identify cartoon characters than native species, such as beetles and oak trees, in their own community. The rate at which doctors prescribe antidepressants to children has doubled in the last five years, and recent studies show that too much computer use spells trouble for the developing mind.

Might explain the quality of today's recruits, judging by the Recruiting threads...  ;D

Back