• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

Dimsum said:
If you (or anyone reading this) is a Trek fan, read his book Redshirts.
Just finished that one as well - be prepared for a bit of radical shift of viewpoint, but interesting existential premise.  Another good read.  Thanks for the tip!

In honour of today and am reading again the book "The Longest Day" by Cornelius Ryan.  I don't think I ave to explain what this book is about.  Then later tonight will probably watch the movie.

dangerboy said:
In honour of today and am reading again the book "The Longest Day" by Cornelius Ryan.  I don't think I ave to explain what this book is about.  Then later tonight will probably watch the movie.
Watching same - dummies just jumped  ;D

Just finished reading "Crisis in Urlia" by Karl Schroeder.  This short novel was commissioned by the Canadian Army Land Warfare Centre and is about how the CF could be operating in 2040 with the changes in politics, technology and operating environment.  It was not a bad read but I just can't see the publications like these having much value, I seriously doubt that the majority of the Canadian Army is going to read it maybe 5%  (just a wild guess on my part).  It is available for download here: http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2014/mdn-dnd/D2-324-2013-eng.pdf and there are hard copies also distributed out.

Just finished reading "Lone Survivor". As usual it had a fair bit of detail that was left out in the movie. Nevertheless it was a good read with the exception of the first chapter which was a little bit too American for me.

dangerboy said:
Just finished reading "Crisis in Urlia" by Karl Schroeder.  This short novel was commissioned by the Canadian Army Land Warfare Centre and is about how the CF could be operating in 2040 with the changes in politics, technology and operating environment.  It was not a bad read but I just can't see the publications like these having much value, I seriously doubt that the majority of the Canadian Army is going to read it maybe 5%  (just a wild guess on my part).  It is available for download here: http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2014/mdn-dnd/D2-324-2013-eng.pdf and there are hard copies also distributed out.
I see one of the characters has gone from Warrant to LCOL since the crisis in Zefra (PDF).  Thanks for sharing the link for the latest.

Found some old Casca paperbacks in a second-hand store, so I'm re-reading those - enjoyed them when I was younger.  Good quick, fun reads.

Not reading but finished writing.

My latest effort in the Allies series is now up and available as an ebook on Amazon.com.

Allies: The Bay takes a slight turn and introduces several new characters from the US Army CID. The story is a murder/police procedural but still with an operational backdrop which in this case is Operation MEDUSA.

Link is here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N70Q7AM

:cheers:

just ordered it through Amazon.ca $4.34 Ca. Now if I can just get my kindle to work..... ::)

I've been travelling the last while so I had lots of time to sit back and read on the plane. 

Currently reading Dust by Hugh Howey.  It's the 3rd part of a trilogy (Wool and Shift are the other two) and while seemingly standard post-apocalyptic sci-fi novels, the way he writes makes it feel like you're reading the story in the Fallout video game universe. 

Other good reads were House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds (hard sci-fi but the novel spans millions of years in time), Imperium by Robert Harris (a novel based on the life and political intrigues of Cicero in Rome), and We Were Soldiers Once And Young by LGen (ret'd) Hal Moore.

About two-thirds of the way through Gone Girl.  It's a good read, fast paced and keeps you guessing.

Just finished Breakout From Juno by Mark Zuehlke. Interesting read, and learned a lot that I was unaware of about the Normandy Campaign. It's not hard to figure that Zuehkle has strong opinions about the leadership at Corps and Army levels, all the way up to Montgomery.

Now trying to decide what to read next, Greg Iles The Devil's Punchbowl, or a 25th anniversary rerelease of Richard Rhodes The Making of the Atomic Bomb

Just starting reading "Edge of Eternity" by Ken Folletthttp://www.amazon.ca/Edge-Eternity-Three-Century-Trilogy/dp/0525953094/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411684185&sr=8-1&keywords=edge+of+eternity. It it the third book in his Century Trilogy, the first two being "Fall of Giants" and "Winter of the World".  It is a historical fiction that covers the lives of five families (American, German, Russian, English, and Welsh). In this book it covers the 1960's to the 1980s and all the major events that occurred during that period.

I do have one recommendation if you do decide to read this book, re-read the first two.  I didn't and had trouble remembering all the back story that went along with each family. Even without remembering all the details of the different families I enjoyed the book and say if you have read the first two books and liked them or any of Mr. Follett's other books I think you will enjoy this one.

dangerboy said:
Just starting reading "Edge of Eternity" by Ken Folletthttp://www.amazon.ca/Edge-Eternity-Three-Century-Trilogy/dp/0525953094/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411684185&sr=8-1&keywords=edge+of+eternity. It it the third book in his Century Trilogy, the first two being "Fall of Giants" and "Winter of the World".  It is a historical fiction that covers the lives of five families (American, German, Russian, English, and Welsh). In this book it covers the 1960's to the 1980s and all the major events that occurred during that period.

I do have one recommendation if you do decide to read this book, re-read the first two.  I didn't and had trouble remembering all the back story that went along with each family. Even without remembering all the details of the different families I enjoyed the book and say if you have read the first two books and liked them or any of Mr. Follett's other books I think you will enjoy this one.

I was looking at that the other day.  Very interesting.

I just finished John Scalzi's latest "Lock In".  It's a noir detective "whodunnit" sprinkled with a token amount of sci-fi; I hesitate to call it a "sci-fi novel" at all.  I wasn't sure how he'd handle a detective story but after finishing it in about 7 hours, I was very impressed.

Currently reading Sand, Hugh Howey's latest (and I think the start of another trilogy).  The Silo Trilogy was worth the time, although I thought Dust was a bit anticlimactic. 

The Dark Monk: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Pötzsch. The second in a mystery series that takes place in the mid-17th century Bavaria and involves a local executioner and his daughter. Well written and a very enjoyable read.

I recently read The Patrol: Seven Days in the Life of a Canadian Soldier in Afghanistan by Ryan Flavelle. He was a Reservist who chose to complete a deployment to Afghanistan. Definitely a good read!

I am currently reading No Easy Task: Fighting in Afghanistan, which is a series of papers on the history of fighting in the country and the lessons that have been learned through the Counter Insurgency (COIN) missions through the ages. This is less about what is happening now and more about what we have learned through history. How insurgents use intimidation to control the locals and invading forces need to gain the "hearts and minds" of the locals to be successful. Not a light read, but a good one!

Just finished a bunch of tripe that I won't relate here but luckily have just started "Sycamore Row" by John Grisham.  This is a follow up of several of the characters from his much earlier novel "A Time to Kill". So far he's back in top form. Good characters; nice plot; well written.

:cheers:

Back