• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

I just finished reading "A Moment of Truth in Iraq," by Michael Yon.  I'd reccommend that to anyone who knows how to read... especially those in the 'out now' crowd.

Midget

Londonistan, book about the effects of Islam on original British Traditions, next book in line, The Sharpe End. WWI book.

The Night Watch- Sergei Lukyanenko
Duma Key- Stephen King

Deadpan said:
For me, I've just picked up Lord of The Flies. I've never read it yet, and I always hear that its a 'must read'.

I think you'll enjoy it.  Excellent book!

I am presently reading Excalibur by Bernard Cornwell, third in a series called the Warlord Chronicles.

PMedMoe said:
I think you'll enjoy it.  Excellent book!

I am presently reading Excalibur by Bernard Cornwell, third in a series called the Warlord Chronicles.

You blow my mind away.....

This is the second thread where you and I have crossed literary paths....

I have started The Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell, and I have the Warlord Chronicles all lined up next!!

Usually I would ahve done the King Arthur series first, as I am a huge fan of the Riothamus, however I am in a Viking Kick right now...

Uncanny!

dileas

tess

Read all three of the Warlord Chronicles and found them an interesting read - a neat take on the Arthurian legend.

MM

Speaking of Arthurian legend, have you read any of the books in the "A Dream of Eagles" series by Jack Whyte?  I normally don't read fantasy stuff, but I've always been interested in medieval times.

There's at least 7 or 8 books in the series.  One of the books is about Merlyn growing up, another is about Lancelot's childhood and ends with him meeting Arthur for the first time.  I'm reading "The Eagle" by Jack Whyte currently.  It's the next in the series (still in Lancelot's perspective) and so far, talks about how the round table was formed, etc.  The early books in the series also focus heavily on the Roman army and their legions.

I find his stuff to be fairly non-fiction as he puts a lot of fact into it.  It's a good mix of fiction and storytelling to keep you hooked, but with a lot of fact to keep it in perspective.

soccer08 said:
Speaking of Arthurian legend, have you read any of the books in the "A Dream of Eagles" series by Jack Whyte?  I normally don't read fantasy stuff, but I've always been interested in medieval times.

There's at least 7 or 8 books in the series.  One of the books is about Merlyn growing up, another is about Lancelot's childhood and ends with him meeting Arthur for the first time.  I'm reading "The Eagle" by Jack Whyte currently.  It's the next in the series (still in Lancelot's perspective) and so far, talks about how the round table was formed, etc.  The early books in the series also focus heavily on the Roman army and their legions.

I find his stuff to be fairly non-fiction as he puts a lot of fact into it.  It's a good mix of fiction and storytelling to keep you hooked, but with a lot of fact to keep it in perspective.

medicineman said:
Read all three of the Warlord Chronicles and found them an interesting read - a neat take on the Arthurian legend.

MM

http://www.camulod.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3&Itemid=34

You beat me to the punch Soccer.

I have read the whole series 3 times, and will do it again very soon.

The most brilliant series, to date!  Jack Whyte's Templar trilogy is okay, waiting for the third book now.

dileas

tess

Last three books I read were...

-The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
-A Change Of Heart by Jodi Picoult
-The Stand by Stephen King (My favorite book of all time!)

What I'm reading now?

Another of my all time favorites called Cats Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

The latest William Gibson: Spook Country

Next - King John of Canada, and The Secret.

Ongoing:  The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari

Actually, Outside The Wire is the book I will start tonight and this morning I just finished is:
The Long Walk Home, Paul Franklin's Journey From Afghanistan by Liane Faulder.
It is a very short read, but I quite enjoyed it. Well written.  I was surprised at how personal it was, I cried, I laughed and I felt comfortable and it makes me proud to be in the military family.  It just goes to show you that ordinary people can do great things, even if it not the road they would have chosen, but, they make the best of it and keep on truckin' and I wish the best to the Franklin family.  They deserve it!  ;D

Look at me, sounding like I am all bookish or somethng.  If you had started this thread 6 months ago the Toronto Sun would have been about it for me.  Now, 2 books in 2 days.  I guess this is what happens when hubby is away :-[

David Grossman On Combat; just finashed and what a book. This book should be reguired reading for anybody wishing to join the combat arms.

The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam (and the Crusades) by Robert Spencer.

I real eye opener

The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks
Required reading for those wishing too survive.

"The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom

I thought it was a great read, and a neat look at one mans take on the afterlife.

the 48th regulator said:
You blow my mind away.....

This is the second thread where you and I have crossed literary paths....

I have started The Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell, and I have the Warlord Chronicles all lined up next!!

Usually I would ahve done the King Arthur series first, as I am a huge fan of the Riothamus, however I am in a Viking Kick right now...

Uncanny!

dileas

tess

That's more than likely where the similarities end.  The rest of my collection is a mix of all Stephen King's novels (The Stand is my fave too, MTS), John Grisham, Michael Crichton, Jean Auel, Diana Gabaldon (the whole series), Anne Rice, Mercedes Lackey, Guy Gavriel Kay, Jeffrey Deaver, Thomas Harris, Orson Scott Card, Laurie R. King and single works of fiction and nonfiction.

Anyone who likes fantasy (medieval or otherwise) should check out The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay.  Three books in one that will keep you reading.  It also has  bits of the "Arthur" legend as well.

Tess, I was unaware that there is The Saxon Stories too.  Are they about Aelle and Cerdic?  I'll have to look them up.

Back