• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

Stalingrad---Anthony Beevor,
Fall of Berlin 1945---Anthony Beevor,
Generation kill---forgot his name
Just finished reading Sun tzu's Art of War.

UBIQUE!!!

My last reads...the Musketeer series by Dumas, very entertaining, can be found on line, all good reads..

The Three Musketeers
Twenty Years After
Ten Years Later
The Missing Viscount
Louise de la Valliere
The Man in the Iron Mask (Nothing like the movie of the same name with Gabriel Byrne, John Malkovich)

and I have to say... did a search on here for "poser", hilarious the collection of various BS meters out there. Should have a "Poser's Pool" set up here to link all the comic relief that happens in those threads.....
Still giggling....... engraved my name on me rifle.......lol..... make it stop!

Interseting list. I've read about half the ones here and from the titles wouldn't mind reading the other,
Harry Potter excepted (sorry there alumni buddy). Also interesting to see I'm not the only one with 2-3 books going at once.

As for myself, just finishing up Ghosts of Medak by Carole Off.

Adam Hochschild- King Leopold's Ghost- the story of the colonisation of the Congo
James Altieri- The Spearheaders- 1st Ranger Battalion WW2, personal account

Peter Harclerode - "Fighting Dirty: The Inside Story Of Covert Operations From Ho Chi Minh To Osama Bin Laden"

Currently reading: MORT, Terry Pratchett and THE EXPENDIBLES, Leonard B. Scott.

Since two books at one time is not enough, about to start SALT, Mark Kurlansky.

Just finished PRINCESS; A TRUE STORY OF LIFE BEHIND THE VEIL IN SAUDI ARABIA.

Next in line: MY LIFE IS A WEAPON: A MODERN HISTORY OF SUICIDE BOMBING,Christoph Reuter.

lets see. 

Two nights ago I finished reading The Wars - Timothy Findley,
I've just started reading Requiem for a Dream - Selby Hubert
as well as Coming of Age in the Milky Way - Timothy Ferris

Those three were for pleasure.

I'm also reading a few books to get ready for school come September
Wonders and the Order of Nature 1150-1750 - Daston & Park
Principles of Geographical Information Systems - Burrough
and
GIS and Archaeology - James Conolloy

hmm lets see i am currently reading The long walk by stephen king for like the 4th time, and i am about to start The World According to Garp.

Grundrisse by Karl Marx
How Scots invented the world by Arthur Herman
The Japanese Art of War
Where Ghosts Walked- David Claye Large

"Two nights ago I finished reading The Wars - Timothy Findley"

Good call Sheerin!  What did you think of it?  I'd wager its one of the best books I've ever read.  Findley is fantastic.

Finished Ghost of Medak , good read . Just started (again, read it years ago)
The Battle of Long Tan, The legend of ANZAC Upheld by Lex McAuley

It's about a firefight between a company of 6 RAR and a VC/NVA ten times their size in 1966.

Dan...you just gave the title I have been looking for for 5 years....

Myself:

Crisis at Bihac by Brenadan O'Shea

The Threat (Inside the Soviet Army) by Andrew Cockburn - dated but a great study on the ability of the Soviets to fight a war in the 80s.....

The Black Company by Glen Cook and;

To rule the waves....Arthur Herman

I'm currently reading "Gaunts Ghosts: Straight Silver" by Dan Abnett for a fourth time.  Its an awesome book.

"The voice of War: WW2 told by those who fought it"

Can be very dry at times, as some journals are included from less than significant people. On the other hand, includes a lot of interesting personal journals from Pte.'s in Tobruk, El Alamein, Stalingrad etc. as well as men of higher stature such as Churchill, Gen. Montgomery, Rommel... etc.

Steel Badger said:
Dan...you just gave the title I have been looking for for 5 years....

Anytime. You want to borrow my copy? 8)

I agree The Threat (Inside the Soviet Army) by Andrew Cockburn is/was agood source for Soviet bloc . Still have my dog earred copy. Back when they were the bad guys it and Suvurov's books were almost bibles amongst those of us who took "know thy enemy" to heart.

Right now I'm working on reading the Lord of The Rings:Return of the King, I've been working on the LoTR series for a few months now (I stopped reading after school and started on The Liberation of the Netherlands which I just recently finished).

Back