• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What are you doing Remembrance Day 2009?

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
We know Prince Charles is in Ottawa, and Peter MacKay & Tony Clement are in Afghanistan.

As for me, headed to the Armoury where I used to parade (about 40 pounds ago), and taking in the ceremony at the north side cenotaph (there's also a south side cenotaph here in Thunder Bay, which used to be two cities, each with their own cenotaph).

After that, sharing company with vets of all ages around town.

Will share pix later.

- edited to add photo of how the day began -

Off to the local service at the cenotaph, which is on the front lawn of the high school to remember all the names from two world wars and one from Afghanistan. After that, I'll make a brief appearance at the legion, then back home to polish the talk I'm giving tomorrow at the RCMI.

Attend the local ceremony in Westlock, indoors at the hall, never seemed quite right with me but I won't quibble with the RCL.  On this topic anyway  >:D .  My ex wife bought a wreath at the beginning of the Afghan War, and adds a poppy for each fatality every year.  It's now very beautiful in a sad way, and it falls to me this year to place it.  Legion after for a couple of pops, hopefully not as loopy as last year.

Old Sweat said:
Off to the local service at the cenotaph, which is on the front lawn of the high school to remember all the names from two world wars and one from Afghanistan. After that, I'll make a brief appearance at the legion, then back home to polish the talk I'm giving tomorrow at the RCMI.

Well, home from the legion. I spent about an hour chatting with the coy comd (Strain) and CSM (Lavoie) of combat support company ("O"?) 3 RCR. I am now armed with all sorts of ammunition to dump on the planimal.

Just finished my third ceremony, my wife went to the high school for a short talk to the students in Gananoque. Two incidents kind of marred today. 1. Eight this morning while prepping wreaths a Legion member was asked by a passerby, "Is today Remembrance Day?" 2. A young CIC Lieutenant was told by some **sehole that the cadets should not have been on parade as they didn't have a clue as to what they were doing, (rest on your arms reverse.) He wasn't around after the parade as we couldn't find him.
To bad.
Anyway, my son was well remembered and spoken about which is a comforting thing to hear.
Go here and see how a teacher explains the kids rights. http://www.rclbranch92.com/FYI.html Don't think I did that right.

Never Forget,
Dave Payne

I attended a parade at Chelsea, Quebec, the burial place of Pte Richard Rowland Thompson who was in the 2nd Special Battalion, RCR.  He risked his own life to save the lives of comrades under intense fire as a soldier in the South African War.

He was the only Canadian to have been awarded the Queen's Scarf, eight of which were made by Queen Victoria and awarded for extreme gallantry.

Mike Company of 3 RCR were also in attendance, along with CF H Svcs C (O).

Private Richard Rowland Thompson and the Queen’s Scarf

Yesterday after work, I went to Beechwood Cemetery and laid a poppy on the grave site of a friend who passed away in Petawawa two years ago.

Watched the National Service in Ottawa. Cooking a BIG pot of Turkey- Noodle soup and reading "Kandahar Tour".

tango22a

RICK HILLIER FOR NEXT GOVERNOR-GENERAL..........You heard it here first!!

I have not been able to attend many Remembrance Day services.  Although a Statutory Holiday for City employees, in Emergency Services, other than wearing your poppy, it’s Operations as usual.
This year however, I drove to City Hall and parked in the underground. I usually take the subway downtown, but I wanted to give my 20 year old car a much needed run along Lakeshore Blvd. and the Gardiner Expressway.
This also marks the first year that I no longer wear my Dress Uniform, or march in the parade. I now wear the Departmental beret, blazer and tie. After the service, I attended the reception inside City Hall. It's always good to see old friends, some of whom I have known for almost forty years.
I then drove home, parked, changed and walked to the Legion for a couple of drinks.
I am a disappointed that I forgot about the CN Tower special today. Would have been a perfect sky for it.  I've been going there regularly since they built it.
These are some pics from 2006, if interested.:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26209702@N00/sets/72157620716035341/

Toronto City Hall Remembrance Day ceremony:2009
http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2009/11/11/11715381.html

My thoughts were of the young Canadians who were lost in the last year, and a silent prayer for our military forces.

Great weather here in Thunder Bay - overcast, but around +14C.  Good turnout at the north side - see attached.

Not as many troops making the rounds after the ceremonies, though - wonder if it was the weekday causing that?

I marched with my cadets in Victoria. Unfortunately I had a bit of a wardrobe malfunction on the march, which was very poor on my part, but had that squared away before the regimental remembrance day service. It was humbling to be there, my first remembrance day after being in KAF. Good turnout - wish the kids weren't running around screaming during the silence..........none of my cadets fell out :)

Didn't make it to the mess as I was feeling a bit ill after the parade and thought it was best to go home.

I wanted  badly to attend the parade in Guelph but am still sick and coughing and weak and didn't want to spread my germs around.
- observed two minutes of silence at 11:00 and spent the day at home watching as many ceremonies as I could from across the world and reviewed many websites and youtube videos of Canada's Fallen.  There seemed to be so much more this year.

Then I came here to catch more wonderful stories about Remembrance Day and do research and then read and soon to bed.

I read T6's post about the Australian military dog that was miraculously found and I cried because she looks so much like a black lab I once owned and because it's such a miracle she was found.

After that had to go looking for war poetry to do with animals and found this gem by Captain T.A. Girling of the 'Canadian Army Veterinary Corps' written in 1916 from somewhere in Ypres:

Dumb Heroes

There's a D.S.O. for the Colonel,
A Military Cross for the Sub,
A medal or two when we all get through
And a bottle of wine with our grub.

There's a stripe of gold for the wounded,
A rest by the bright seashore,
And a service is read when we bury our dead
Then our country has one hero more.

But what of our poor dumb heroes
That we send without choice to the fight,
That strain at the load on the shell swept road
As they take up their rations at night.

They are shelling on Hell Fire Corner.
Their shrapnel fast bursts o'er the square.
And the bullets drum as the transports come
With the food for the soldiers there.

It's the daily work of the horses.
And they answer the spur and the rein
With quickened breath mid the toll of death
In the mud and the holes and the rain.

But they walk with the spirit of heroes.
They care not for medals or cross
But for duty alone into perils unknown
They go never counting the loss.

They're shell-shocked, they're bruised and they're broken,
They're wounded and torn as they fall,
But they're true and they're brave to the very grave
And in silence they're heroes all through.

I hope you are feeling better soon, Leroi. I love animals too. There's a place I like to go sometimes. It's a real working farm. It really brings you back to nature:
http://www.toronto.ca/parks/riverdalefarm.htm
http://www.friendsofriverdalefarm.com/

After four years as the master of ceremonies, today I attended the ceremony at the Regimental memorial as a spectator and took along my camera.  The small wreath at the base of the memorial was a private wreath laid a few days ago, it was kept in place and the official wreaths laid around it.

A very good turnout at the Guelph ceremony.
Afterwards I placed my Poppy on my Father's gravesite and then saluted him by having lunch at his favourite Dairy Queen.
[long live the Skor Blizzard] :salute:

Attended the service in East York and a second one at my Legion (345) after, then inside to have a drink or six, socialize, plot, and remember friends and family no longer with us.

A very good turnout in Cranbrook. It was good to be out and part of the ceremonies (as a civi observer) and then I dropped into the Legion and mingled a bit, chatted with some Veterans, including two who were here from the States and a first for me, I talked with a paternal side sibling and we talked about our Dad and his service. At 55 it's the first Remembrance Day I've ever shared, even just to talk on phone, with a sibling. We share the same father, different mothers. Another highpoint, I was able to pass on some more stories about relatives from different wars, to my eldest, so she can pass the stories and memories on to my grandsons.

The Veterans were really something to see at the ceremonies. Two elderly Veterans in particular really touched me deeply. They were extremely fragile and unsteady, but they made the walk to lay wreaths and salute ... remembering their friends and family lost, I'm sure. Very emotional day for me, and very good one to be part of things. I crawled out of my bunker and braved the strangers, still not really knowing anyone I socialize with in this town, but some faces are familiar and it was good to chat a bit, sharing stories about relatives who serve or have served ... and of course remembering family sacrifices ... those who didn't come home, and never will  :salute: Wonderful to have a special day every year to totally focus on our fallen and those who served and serve.

Also thinking about all of my military friends and acquaintances and wondering how they're experiencing today too.

Take care.

Started out the day watching the ceremony in Ottawa. Then my dad told me the story of his grandfather, who lost his leg in the first world war about an hour before the end of the war. Next it was on to the cenotaph at Victory Square in Vancouver. Watched the ceremony and then the parade. Then stopped in to Starbucks so my dad could get a coffee, and stopped over to thank some veterans for their service. Then off to do a little last minute sight seeing before heading back home tomorrow.

Back