• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wet Weather Combat Boots: Use, Maintenance & Other Stuff.

blue knob?
that's ok for those that are new - out of the box
but, if they converted your boots for ya, you'll have to take their word for it.... unless you fall on your a$$ while walking to the car.

geo said:
blue knob?
that's ok for those that are new - out of the box
but, if they converted your boots for ya, you'll have to take their word for it.... unless you fall on your a$$ while walking to the car.

He got his from Clothing Stores so I'm assuming that he is talking the one's out of the box.  ;D

The Librarian said:
He got his from Clothing Stores so I'm assuming that he is talking the one's out of the box.  ;D

Yeah, well funny story on that actually- when I exchanged my old ones (for more old ones I see, with no blue knob) they tried to give me a set that was clearly used, and well used at that, with mud and everything on them.  I just exchanged the one pair, and told them that I wasn't too keen on the second set they were offering up.

I see that I'll have to make another pit stop in there to order some NEW boots, in boxes, with blue knobs this time, please.  By the way that NSN may come in handy after all, as it's clear the guys I'm dealing with don't really have a clue.

willy said:
Yeah, well funny story on that actually- when I exchanged my old ones (for more old ones I see, with no blue knob) they tried to give me a set that was clearly used, and well used at that, with mud and everything on them.  I just exchanged the one pair, and told them that I wasn't too keen on the second set they were offering up.

I see that I'll have to make another pit stop in there to order some NEW boots, in boxes, with blue knobs this time, please.  By the way that NSN may come in handy after all, as it's clear the guys I'm dealing with don't really have a clue.

And when you were given these clearly well worn boots with the mud on them did you immediately ask to speak with the supervisor? I certainly would have.

Used boots can be re-issued (but usually aren't) provided that the previous owner's foot imprint has not worn into the sole (inside the boot). There is a reference for this policy in the 007 which I can post tomorrow.

What actually amazes me about your post is that someone at clothing actually took back dirty kit!! There is also a 007 ref that says all kit turned into Clothing will be cleaned, laundered, markings, paint stickers removed by the member prior to it's being accepted for return by clothing staff. I will also post that ref tomorrow.

There are indeed still boots out there in stock with the old soles still on them...they aren't going to just get thrown away after all. Like my post down below says, I just got a shipment of them last week. It is quite possible that your clothing stores also has old-soled boots in stock still. So, I suggest that you call your clothing stores to see if they have received any of the new stock in yet, thus perhaps avoiding a pointless trip to their location by you.

Once your clothing stores has used up it's current supplies and re-supplies come in from Depot-stock, odds are they will receive the newly soled footwear.

The SN for your boots can be found on the label on the tongue. Your size on that label (0029 , 0061 etc) is also the last 4 digits of the SN.

The Librarian said:
And when you were given these clearly well worn boots with the mud on them did you immediately ask to speak with the supervisor? I certainly would have.

Here are the references that I spoke of in my earlier post:

DIN Link to A-LM-007-014/AG-001 CF Supply Manual (also known as the "007"):
- once open, choose "CFSS Supply Manual"

http://dgmssc.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/DMMD/index_e.asp?Lang=e&Content=DMMD

Cleanliness/Laundering of items being returned to Clothing Stores:
ALM 007, Vol 3, Ch 13, Sect A, Art 003, para 9, note. (3-13A-003-9 note)

Note: Except under extreme extenuating circumstances beyond their control, individuals shall ensure that all items of clothing, footwear and equipment being returned to or exchanged at clothing stores are clean. For health and safety reasons articles that are dirty may be refused by clothing stores personnel.

Re-Issue of Footwear:
ALM 007, Vol 3, Ch 13, Sect F, Art 002, para 6. (3-13F-002-6)

6.  Free issue footwear that bears a foot imprint on the insole, which could cause discomfort, shall not be classified as fit for reissue except to the individual to whom the imprint belongs. Footwear that does not bear a definite foot imprint and has an outer sole and upper that are not deformed beyond repair shall be subject to reissue.

The resoled boots should now have the vibram label on the sole in yellow as opposed to the original black ones. Last year we had all of our boots resoled in Barrie and now apart from being a bit taller (KISS rocker boots!) they are better in icy conditions and have the same tread pattern as the original boots did.

Capt B.Luscombe
3 CRPG

Yes,

Some of the new soles available on the local economy that were re-soled during the project have the word "vibram" and it's surrounding area in bright yellow...but not all. There are also approved vibram soles available locally that do not have the yellow colour or the blue knob. It all depends upon which vibram sole is available in your local area.

The ones coming into the CFSS via the contractor were identified with the blue knob.

LFQA HQ boots were resoled with black vibram logos & no yellow or blue markings.

I had been under the impression that the army had initially utilized a lower grade sole and hence, no yellow markings. Having used vibram soles since a teenager in hiking etc, I have had nothing but good things to say about the products and always saw the familiar yellow markings under my feet. I can only imagine that the marking in yellow has nothing to do with the quality of the sole or temperature tolerances and depends on which sole model number it is.

Learn something new....

Capt B. Luscombe
3 CRPG

The first sole on the WWBs was a very hard rubber, so very good for durability but lousy in use (think LSVW brakes) the money saved was being spent on medical care.

geo said:
LFQA HQ boots were resoled with black vibram logos & no yellow or blue markings.

Yes, by a local contractor. That different markings was already explained below.

The WWB that were in stock (ie at depots) were re-soled with the blue nobbed sole so that you could confirm whether or not the ones  recd in stock were re-soled or not.

The ones that were re-soled by bases were done via local contractors which may or may not have had the yellow "vibram" marking on the sole. That was dependant upon which company's vibram soles that local contractor used.

bllusc said:
I can only imagine that the marking in yellow has nothing to do with the quality of the sole or temperature tolerances and depends on which sole model number it is.
Correct, except that the yellow marking is dependant upon which manufacturer made the sole.

Does anybody know if CIC Pers are allowed to wear wwb's? I have a pair(red lining,hard sole)that I bought from CEL Surplus in '04,and our TrgO told me that I need a Dr's note. I have type 1 diabetes,so foot care &protection in cold weather are extra important. I usually wear mk 3"s except when too cold for them.(or too wet) ???

Gunner, if it is CF issue you can wear it.  You should be issued them when you get your full kit depending on your support base.  The only time you may have a problem is if you are on course and not everyone has them, but even then the DS at most of the RCIS's around the country are reasonable.

Why would you want the POS? There are way better boots out there then the WWB.

MedTech said:
Why would you want the POS? There are way better boots out there then the WWB.

+1. These are the best boots on the planet IMHO. Carried me across Baffin Island plus a few hundred other rocky/ snowy kms with zero blisters or cold issues. Good to minus 20 C so far (in MSR snowsheos). Fit perfectly. My only complaint was that the laces wore out too quickly so, of course, I replaced them with MkIII combat boot laces.

The WWB is nowhere near as effective in comparison.

Daftandbarmy,

"Which" boots are the best on the planet?  Did you forget a hyperlink?

Eye In The Sky said:
Daft,

"Which" boots are the best on the planet?  Did you forget a hyperlink?

Yes I did... and stop calling me Shirley! http://www.gearzone.com/Salomon-Protrek-6-Boots-p/187-18607.htm

(Mess tins)

Back