• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Weekend BMQ in the lower mainland

dutchie936

Inactive
Reaction score
I've done a search and nothing came up.Has anybody heard if there will be a weekend BMQ and SQ in the lowermainland this fall.I am a Westie,and I recieved my letter with instructions for unit stand to.It listed only three coarses this fall for part time,driver wheeled,comms,and PLQ.But it did'nt mention anything about BMQ or SQ.I call my regiment and they did'nt know either.I would like to get going ASAP,but if I have to wait until summer,its going to be a long winter.And I was hoping to get slotted in to a reg force BIQ if any spots were available this summer,2008.
Any help,or info would be very helpful. Thank you

:cdn:

Dutchie don't worry, before any of those other courses run,  BMQ and a f/up SQ will run.

Noneck

I was at the New Westminster regiment today to start the recruitment process. When I asked when the courses were running I was told that they did not know yet, and that I would be contacted at a later date.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Thanks guys. Thats about all I get from the regiment too.The army seems to give them pretty short notice,and us even shorter.But hey,I'm ready anytime.Its like xmas eve. I can't wait to get going.
Thanks for the info.

Slots for courses are hard to get so be ready to leave with 1-2 days notice. You are not badged a Westie until after B1Q.

Samsquanch said:
Slots for courses are hard to get so be ready to leave with 1-2 days notice. You are not badged a Westie until after B1Q.

Make that After BIQ/BFT/Westie quiz  ;D

The upcoming BFT and soon after westie quiz will get me that prized capbadge!!! I can't wait.

dutchie936 said:
Thanks guys. Thats about all I get from the regiment too.The army seems to give them pretty short notice,and us even shorter.But hey,I'm ready anytime.Its like xmas eve. I can't wait to get going.
Thanks for the info.

This summer i was told on a friday that i would be flying out to Wainwright that saturday for BIQ. Haha, have your kit sorted out and ready!  >:D
But last year a weekend bmq ran in the fall AND winter, so, i'll bet there is one coming up... You could try phoning recruiting and talking to Cpl. Hamill. I..BELIEVE he takes some charge in our guys getting on courses.

Getting you on courses are the responsibility of your chain of command. The unit just stood-to last week and your staff are working hard to see who is going to be put where, and when. When you joined, I guarantee that you were told that enrollment was not a guarantee for being course loaded. Generally it's a first come, first served basis but that being said, there's alot going for the troops who show up consistently. Your Sect Comd will take a list of your availability for courses and through Company and Ops & Trg cell, it will be determined when you'll be loaded on course.

Cheers and good luck,

HH

Anyway, be patient.

My initial popst on this thread was premature! The skinny in the LMD is no BMQ until at the earliest January(Maybe) . The focus will be developing and training PLQ candidates so that we have enough MCpl's to run CITY training next year.

We currently have 12-15 troops who are waiting for BMQ or SQ, and are trying to find full time courses around the country for those that are available.

Noneck

Its great to see some Westies on this forum.I'm taking it all as it comes,but would like to atleast get my BMQ out of the way ASAP.I've been kind of winging it the last couple of times I've been with the regiment.And that can't be good for anybody.But I must say.All the soldiers I've been in contact with so far have been both helpful and professional. :cdn:
Thanks for the input

Thanks NoNeck.Would you happen to know if I will be of any use to the regiment in the meantime?Will I be able to go on ex?I really want to start doing my part,and pulling my weight so to speak.But if I am useless to the regiment until I get BMQ,what will I be doing.

Dutchie936,

Unfortunately I cannot answer that as I belong to the other LMD Infantry Regiment that wears kilts!

However that being said I am one of the SNCO's in our Depot Pl. As such I can speak about what we are doing with our BMQ (-) folks, myself and the Pl Comd have agreed that we must work on a interim training plan in order to maintain interest. Since I know Hollywood Hitman and most of the other Westie SNCO's personally, I would suggest that your Regiment will most likely be doing something similar.However keep your eyes & ears open if you are in the position to go on a full time BMQ/SQ in another Area.

To answer the other portion of your question concerning what you can expect to be doing, there is a limitation on what non-trained soldiers can do in both garrison and especially the field. Don't expect to be doing Pl live fire attacks next Cougar Salvo. One step at a time, concentrate on mastering the fundamental basics and you'll get your opportunity!

Cheers
Noneck :cdn:

Back