• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Wake up, Canada - we're at war!"

MarkOttawa

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
A good article by Rondi Adamson (Toronto Star's house conservative) in The Christian Science Monitor.
http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0403/p09s01-coop.htm

Excerpts:

'...Canadians have been in love with the image of themselves as blue-hat wearing do-gooders, convincing everyone to get along while never firing a shot...

...Canadian forces in Afghanistan are part of a multinational combat force participating in both the continuing battle against stubborn Taliban remainders and in the securing of the young Afghan democracy. One would think, given the generally accepted role of soldiers and given the easily provable brutality of the enemy in question, that Canadians would understand the inevitability of casualties, both military and civilian.

Yet a cursory look at recent headlines in Canadian newspapers reflects the sad reality: Canadians are in a dream world, and need to be shaken from their sleep. Some examples: "More risk for our troops," "Dangers to Canadian troops in Afghanistan expected," "Canadian deaths in Afghanistan unavoidable: Department of National Defence," and, "Nervous day for Canadian troops after Afghan blasts." On TV and radio, debates about whether our troops should be "exposed to danger" are commonplace. Should it not go without saying that soldiers face risk and danger? The minutiae of each death of a soldier (there have been 11 so far, four from hostile action, three in accidents, four from friendly fire) is parsed, analyzed, given wall-to-wall coverage, exploited by politicians and everyone with an anti-American ax to grind...

In 2005, reports from Canada's military commanders warned that Canada's forces were overstretched and underfunded. But those problems, grave as they are, are nothing compared to the dangers of the Canadian mind-set. Underfunding can be overcome. A firmly entrenched national myth, five decades in the making, is a different matter...'

And a good piece by Jack Granatstein, "Keeping the soldiers' bargain":
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/issuesideas/story.html?id=4f1c950a-74cc-4c39-9a05-e0b227c199d1&p=2

'...
...It's Kandahar, Afghanistan, and the casualties, still few in number, are beginning to mount. Are Canadians ready for this war?

To ask the question, unfortunately, is to answer it. They're not. The military reporter for one big newspaper recently asked me if Canadians could cope with such casualties. "Is this our Vietnam?" he wondered. Opposition MPs, columnists, letter writers and bloggers all bemoan Canada's turn away from "traditional" peacekeeping, and blame this fact for the dead and wounded in what they perceive as just another of George W. Bush's wars...

Many soldiers may not be politically sophisticated. But they clearly understand the basic equation: They will do Canada's dirty work and accept the blood and pain if their government and people back them up. If only our sophisticated Opposition politicians and media columnists had as much sense.'

Mark
Ottawa

Somebody is writing what most of us here have been thinking.... or talking about amongst ourselves. Hallelujah! Ours isn't just a voice in the wilderness. Assuming that anybody will take the time to read it. And then not dismiss it out of hand as pro-war big C conservative propoganda. Oh wait, I think I know what will happen.

Here's to hoping that the majority of intelligent people who read it will understand what is written in Granatsteins last line:

Many soldiers may not be politically sophisticated. But they clearly understand the basic equation: They will do Canada's dirty work and accept the blood and pain if their government and people back them up. If only our sophisticated Opposition politicians and media columnists had as much sense.'

And then take it to heart.

Al

HEllo,
I am an NDP person myself, but I really really think Jack laton needs to get his hea dout of his ass and realaize the situation we are in. I myself support the role of Canadian troops in Afghanistan, becaus eit is the right thing to do, simple as that, and when politicians at home say things against our men and women in Uniform, I think that compromises what they are doing overseas.I think every politiican should give their  FULL SUPPORT TO THE TROOPS, and the mission at hand.Great article.

Cheers!!!!!

Hey now! What's this comment about our guys not being politically sophisiticated?  How do you figure? Do they need a degree from the school of political correctness to be considered sophisticated?

That's a good point, one doesn't need a stack of letters after their name to be well read... 
However, IMHO, Granatstien is berating the political sophistry of politicians and their friends in the
media... 

That's one of the best articles that most people will never read.  And unfortunately, since it is in the "Christian Science Monitor" it will likely be lumped in with the American right wing and be discounted by the lefties.  (No flame intended to that publication).
I wonder if Adamson tried to get it printed in the Toronto Star and how badly he (she?) was shot down?

A useful post on Layton:

" Layton spins yet again"
http://soapbox22.blogspot.com/2006/04/layton-spins-yet-again.html

Mark
Ottawa

MarkOttawa:

Are you directly or indirectly employed (by lobbyists et al) for a political party?

So you googled his name too, eh - - to find he spends a lot of time "informing" blogs  ;)

Hahahaha.  I, too, smelled a little media manipulation by the good Mr. Collins.

I have no problem with what he is posting.  I just believe that he best declare his intentions and/or purpose.

scoutfinch et al: Sorry to disappoint your suspicions.  I have no affiliation and never have had with any mainstream political party (though, along with thousands of others, I was a vice-president of the Rhino Party until the Mulroney government, with the support of the other parties, effectively shut the Rhinos down by a change in the electoral law).  All this blogwork is totally amateur (perhaps in all three senses!).

My sympathies do lie in a certain direction but are not partisan--see some of my guest-posts under "mark c" at "Daimnation" where I express a lack of confidence in MND O'Connor and the Conservatives on health care.
http://www.damianpenny.com/

Mike Bobbitt knows of my long-standing interest in military affairs.  I have an "E Tenebris Lux" mug, earned in an honourary capacity.  My intentions here are simply to express support for the best possible Canadian military.

Mark
Ottawa

Hmmm.  Isn't that odd.  I think I attended law school with Damien Penny.

MarkOttawa said:
though, along with thousands of others, I was a vice-president of the Rhino Party Mark

The Rhino Party had thousands of vice presidents?  Jeez, talk about too many rock stars and not enough roadies. ;D

Loving the articles, BTW.  Not concerned with the motivation. 

I actually agree with many of the sentiments as well. Like "scoutfinch" though, I like to know where the info's coming from.

Now that I know he has an honourary E Tenebris Lux mug........    ::)

hell, journeyman -- even I don't have an  E Tenebris Lux mug.. although I should probably get one someday.  That must mean that MarkOttawa is REALLY REALLY important or REALLY REALLY well connected... although he apparently knows Mike Bobbitt which counts for something!

(Bugger -- you think I would have been issued one!)

We have a mug labeling kiosk at the mall near my house.  I'm going to go buy one for myself, and one-up all of you.  :dontpanic:

If I send you $8.50, will you pick one up for me?  That should cover postage and handling too, shouldn't it?

Sure.  If Mr. Bobbit gives me the green light, I'll even try to throw the Army.ca logo on it.  Black mugs with silver lettering?  Usual colours for the logo.  If we create a mass order, maybe we'll get a discount. 
I wonder if that would take away from the significance of being awarded one?  Oh, well.  My knock off Mont Blanc watch is telling me that I'm out of time for this thread. ^-^

not just awarded... but awarded in an honourary capacity!

On that happy note, zipperhead_cop... I agree. Enough good natured ribbing for now.

Back