• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vision Questions Megathread, Categories, Problems etc.

ModlrMike said:
Visual acuity is taken from your uncorrected vision.

I recommend you read the first message in this thread before you post any more questions, as the entire vision test process is explained there.

Damn, well I may be screwed considering I can't see jack without my glasses at a distance.

*Edit: Never mind, I read it a little more it does say if you cannot see without the glasses they will get you to put your glasses on to see if it puts your vision to normal.

AlphaBravo said:
Damn, well I may be screwed considering I can't see jack without my glasses at a distance.

*Edit: Never mind, I read it a little more it does say if you cannot see without the glasses they will get you to put your glasses on to see if it puts your vision to normal.

Yes, but it also says that your uncorrected vision establishes your acuity. You will likely need a proper refraction from which your true vision category can be established.

ModlrMike said:
Yes, but it also says that your uncorrected vision establishes your acuity. You will likely need a proper refraction from which your true vision category can be established.

Know what I am not going to worry about it. My understanding on how the hell this whole thing works is pretty unclear. All I know is I can't see crap from a distance without my glasses and the likely chance is I may end up with Cat 5 vision.

More that I read the more that I start to understand it, I likely wont end up on Category 5 considering I can still see things at a mild distance without my glasses. I guess the true test will be when I actually go for my medical.

Sphere Correction            Cylinder (Secondary) Correction        Axis (Degrees of Cylinder correction)
Right Eye            -4.00                                  - 050                                                    175
Left Eye              -5.25                                  - 025                                                    175

I was wondering if anyone could possibly help answer a question I have. I plan on asking at the recruitment office but just want to see if anyone has had the same situation. I will most likely have to get laser corrective surgery to reach the standards for combat trades this I have no problem with. My question I read that after surgery a applicant will generally have to wait 12 months before they consider ( however cases are handled on a individual basis). I was wondering if there is anyone who had laser corrective surgery ( Lasik or PRK) and could tell me how their experiences were like.

http://opto.ca/wp-content/uploads/0/Canadian-Vision-Standards-2014.pdf

Would anyone be able to contribute any information on the medical evaluation for vision for those with very minor cases of Infantile nystagmus syndrome?  When I was a kid, if I had one eye shut and tried to look straight using the other eye, it would slightly shake. It never had any impact on my life other than having to get glasses to correct it.

Any information would be appreciated.

Edit : Sorry, I may have posted this in the wrong topic, I reposted this in the Enrollment Medical Question Forum.

Would anyone be able to contribute any information on the medical evaluation for vision for those with very minor cases of Infantile nystagmus syndrome?  When I was a kid, if I had one eye shut and tried to look straight using the other eye, it would slightly shake. It never had any impact on my life other than having to get glasses to correct it.

When I needed to get mine done, it only took 3 months as the LASIK company advised too. So after the 3 months I rescheduled a quick updated medical which happened within a week later.

I understand all applications are different and handled differently but it good to see that other people's experiences aren't anything I wasn't ready for in terms of wait time.

HoradricBacon said:

I just wanted to add a bit more information to this since I just got back from a Eye Exam.  These are my results

Sphere  Cyl    Axis
OD-2.50    -0.50  160
OS-2.00    -0.75    40

Uncorrected: Right 6/120  Left 6/30
Corrected: Right 6/30 Left 6/6

Quote by Eye Doctor on form: "Nystagmus disappears when both eyes are opened."

I'm currently in the application process for Avionics Tech, which is a V4 requirement I believe.  From the results above, I believe they would put me in the V4 group.  However, I'm unsure if the Forces will reject me for having Nystagmus.

I was able to find information about Nystagums for the American Military, and it basically means instant disqualification from any field of work.

I'm going to consult with my recruitment centre this week about this condition for a direct answer hopefully.  However, any input before then would be appreciated.

No one's input here is going to be correct, unless they are a CF medical officer directly working with recruiting. Your best bet is to apply, and fully disclose your condition. Only then will you find out the actual answer you're seeking, be it good or bad.

HoradricBacon said:
I was able to find information about Nystagums for the American Military, and it basically means instant disqualification from any field of work.

I'm going to consult with my recruitment centre this week about this condition for a direct answer hopefully.  However, any input before then would be appreciated.
Only the RMO will be able to determine if your nystagmus disqualifies you from meeting the common enrollment medical standards.  Not the recruiting centre, not anybody on this forum.  You will need to wait for your file to be reviewed by the RMO.

Thanks for the honesty.  I've completed my medical exam and they're sending my file to Ottawa.

We Were Invincible said:
I am partially colorblind, will this effect my ability to become a pilot, special forces, or sniper?

It will have an affect on your eligibility for some of those occupations.  You will have to have the extent of what your limits will be determined at your Medical by a medical professional.

I recently had PRK surgery on my eyes, I was wondering if anyone has any idea what paper work or documentation I should ask my doctor for next time I see. Just want to have the paper work/documentation ready if I get called for my medical and the doctors office is a bit out of the way for me. 

I had standard lasik done, and they give you the form they want filled out at the end of the medical, I doubt they will hand you the form before that but you can try to call the medical staff at your recruiting center.

shooked1 said:
I recently had PRK surgery on my eyes, I was wondering if anyone has any idea what paper work or documentation I should ask my doctor for next time I see. Just want to have the paper work/documentation ready if I get called for my medical and the doctors office is a bit out of the way for me.

What your current uncorrected (and corrected vision if still needed) is, how far out you are from surgery and if they feel the vision has stabilized, as well as any problems that may have occured as a result of the surgery (scarring, etc).

MM

medicineman said:
What your current uncorrected (and corrected vision if still needed) is, how far out you are from surgery and if they feel the vision has stabilized, as well as any problems that may have occured as a result of the surgery (scarring, etc).

MM

Thanks for the quick reply medicineman

Been doing some house keeping, and consolidated MANY threads over several YEARS.  Like many other megathreads, there should be plenty of information contained herein to satisfy any question you may have.  So...I will NOT entertain any new threads regarding this topic.  New threads will be locked and deleted vice merging, since we want to keep things managable and reasonable.  If your question/query/comment is truly unique, PM a Staff member, and you better be able to show that you did in fact check first (ie, telling us what search terms you used and what tool you used to search with.)

Hatchet Man
Army.ca Staff

Back