• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vibram FiveFingers

The VFF and the entire Barefoot revolution is taking the fitness world by storm.  Being a trained footwear professional (Sportchek) I have some thoughts about them.  While the barefoot style will transform the way you run and work out they MUST be worked into slowly.  They will change the way you strike the ground while running from the conventional heel strike to a mid-foot impact.  Science is showing this to be more natural and, in the end lower impact then heel striking.  It has also long been known that humans are not designed to wear shoes, they hinder the way we impact the ground and weaken many muscles developed while using barefoot style footwear/no footwear at all.

For those of us that don't like the look of the VFF or like me have strange toes that make it VERY uncomfortable to wear the VFF.  Merrell has developed a shoe called the barefoot.  It uses a Vibram sole like most Merrells but is designed in the same way as a VFF.  IT has a closed toe box like a regular shoe and will provide basically all the same benefits as the VFF without the goofy/uncomfortable individual toe slots.

Barefoots and information about them can be found on Merrells website.

Tollis said:
Being a trained footwear professional (Sportchek) I have some thoughts about them. 

Being a "trained footwear professional" gives you a more educated opinion, but thats about it.

As for the Merrells, they are not the only game in town (just one brand Spotschek sells). All the major sport shoe companies are in the game making minimalist shoes that either are for "almost barefoot" running or made for the transition from traditional running shoes to the new barefoot running shoes.

From Sports medicine professionals, you should train to running "barefoot" starting with as little as 100 m, with a weekly increase of no more than 10% of your normal weekly distance. As a new "barefoot" runner, even if you are using the proper techniques, the greatest threat to your health is an Achilles tendon rupture, which will herald an abrupt end to your running season.

I'm personally not brave enough to start training long distance with minimalistic shoes, but I would like to try them for crossfit style workouts and sprints etc, as well as general walking around in. Is there anything wrong with wearing a minimalist shoe around at all times? I am going to stick to my normal Asics for anything over a mile running wise, but I have been eyeing up the New Balance Minimus shoes.

Spectrum said:
I'm personally not brave enough to start training long distance with minimalistic shoes, but I would like to try them for crossfit style workouts and sprints etc, as well as general walking around in. Is there anything wrong with wearing a minimalist shoe around at all times? I am going to stick to my normal Asics for anything over a mile running wise, but I have been eyeing up the New Balance Minimus shoes.

I wear my Merrels for pretty much anything athletic(Xfit, sprints, biking etc etc) with no real issues. 

I'm rather curious as to how this works; for my particular issues (weak ankle due to repeated sprains, plantar fasciitis) I have been advised to wear "heavier" shoes which provide pronation control and can support orthodic inserts, which seeems to be the opposite direction to what these shoes offer.

While I am not in a position to purchase a pair anytime soon, I am curious...

An interesting article:

http://pajamasmedia.com/lifestyle/2011/07/19/pjfitness-did-nike-tear-your-acl/?print=1

PJ Fitness: Did Nike Tear Your ACL?
Posted By David Steinberg On July 19, 2011 @ 2:00 pm In Health and Fitness | 55 Comments

Among all the modern fitness conventional wisdom and habit which has been debunked over the past decade – led by Crossfit founder, trainer Greg Glassman, and his novel approach of actually seeing what works before telling his clients to do it – easily the most disheartening is that you’ve probably been screwing up your body before you even leave the house, and you’ve been spending a crapload of money to do it.

If you run regularly and stay abreast of the latest in the sport – or if you read the New York Times Book Review, which for the first time ever has brought some truth to this world (sigh…) — you’re likely aware of the “barefoot” or “minimalist” running movement. To get you up to speed if you aren’t: it’s exactly what it sounds like.

While it inherently presents as yet another “holistic,” “spiritual,” “wellness,” “politically correct narcissist” fad, it isn’t. Evidence — solid, objective evidence, not the “consensus” kind — and common sense are piling up in support of the minimalist shoe movement: cushioned, corrective running shoes have turned running into one of the world’s most predictably injurious activities by creating a biomechanically degenerative stride. They also cost a lot.

Here’s a good link to start with. Once you’re through, peruse anything you can find online about Dr. Nicholas Romanov and POSE running, and take a look at Christopher McDougal’s (NYT bestseller) Born To Run.

Here’s the basic technique (which actually doesn’t need to be taught, as by taking your shoes off and running you will automatically make the necessary corrections. It’s simply too painful to continue running improperly):

Take off your shoes.
Run in place. You will notice that you are landing on the balls of your feet, and not your heels. Because that would hurt.
Now … wait for it! … lean forward.
What is it about cushy shoes that messes all of this up? It’s the strike point of your foot with the ground. Barefoot, you land on your forefoot. With cushy shoes, you come down on your heel. What’s the problem? Consider — how long have humans been:

a) Running with a forefoot strike?

Since approximately 200,000 B.C, late Pleistocene, when “Anatomically Modern Humans” originated in Africa:

b) Running with a heel strike?

Since 1972:

1972 saw the release of the Nike Cortez, the company’s first running shoe. For the first time, runners had a shoe designed with significant cushioning underneath the heel, a development that most athletic shoes you’ve encountered over your lifetime have continued with. Here’s the Cortez:

This shoe cushioned the severe discomfort of running with a heel strike, which — when barefoot — sends approximately three times your bodyweight of force into your heel and up to your knee. Runners lengthened their stride and went with the heel strike, because they didn’t have to worry about landing softly anymore.

But that’s not what your evolution-designed body was meant to do, as is evident by the barefoot test above. You should land on your forefoot because your ankle is already a brilliantly designed shock-absorber: the ball hits, and your arch — like an arched bridge with a keystone — doesn’t fail like a flat foot would. Dorsiflexion occurs, the shock absorbing process, as the various muscles in your rear calf stretch like a spring. Then, just as your heel is about to crash down, comes the beautiful part: you’re already lifting your heel back off the ground, primarily using your hamstrings and hip flexors, for the next stride. No damaging heel impact jamming your tibia into your knee.

What should you be wearing instead of what’s in your closet? The benefit of athletic shoes lies in protection, not correction. The Converse Chuck Taylor does exactly that, and is worthwhile for a host of athletic activities: a slab of thick rubber under your foot, some rubber on the toe so you don’t stub them. It’s a good shoe. They are heavy though, and you can still get by with much less for running.

I’ve worn these for about three years. Yeah, they look nuts, but my left knee used to hurt, and now it doesn’t. They weigh almost nothing, have 2 to 4 mm of rubber on the bottom, and that’s it. Additionally, I just love being able to feel the world with my feet again — experiencing all the cracks in the sidewalks, the marble steps of a museum. You’ll get it if you try it. I also wear them at the gym almost exclusively:

They won’t fit everybody, though — they don’t yet have a model for folks whose second toe is longer than the first.

What else can you try? Several companies are marketing barefoot, minimalist options now — just look them up and try them. Also, look for “racing flats,” those feather-light running shoes that were previously only intended for race day on a cushioned track. They are actually the right idea for training, too. Merrell has a line of minimalist trail shoes that may even be suitable for court sports. Tread lightly here, though, as the friction of a tennis court may still be too much for these, you are still probably better off in Chuck Taylors. The Merrell’s are expensive, too. Another option for courts is skateboarding shoes, which are flat and tough.

Just see what works, and be sure to ease into it. You won’t have the right stride yet, plus your feet have likely atrophied from being coddled since 1972, so you’re primed for injury if you just jump right into a barefoot 10K.

But get off the cushy soles as soon as you can. Your knees and your wallet will be pleased.

Article printed from PJ Lifestyle: http://pajamasmedia.com/lifestyle

URL to article: http://pajamasmedia.com/lifestyle/2011/07/19/pjfitness-did-nike-tear-your-acl/

I did some POSE running with my Crossfit gym, and it is quite the change from the "Nike run".

I've recently picked up a pair of INOV8 shoes with a sole that is about halfway betweem a conventional running shoe and a "barefoot" shoe.  My wife gave me a strange look when I broke out my new running shoes".  It's a nice way to work the body into a miniamlist shoe after years of Nike conditioning.

Going "caveman" is the way of the future; we also look to a Paleolithic diet as a general food guide.

Infanteer said:
Going "caveman" is the way of the future; we also look to a Paleolithic diet as a general food guide.

Mmmm, steak...

As a further to my last, I've now done two half marathons with my VFFs (the latest this morning), with no real issues.

For those who have made the conversion to VFFs, have you tried a run in sneakers for comparison? I did a 10k a few weeks ago just to see if there was a difference going back to cushioned sneakers, and it was horrible. The extra cushioning seemed to just suck the energy out of me, and I had a super hard time finding my stride. By the end of the run, my knees, hips and lower back were really aching as well. I normally had these issues with longer distances in my sneakers (15-20km), but after just 10km I felt like I'd gone a lot further. I can't go back.  :-\

I still do almost all my walking around in "normal" shoes. And on occasion I do run (such as when I notice that the bus I'm trying to catch is coming and I'm still 2 blocks away). And even for short runs like that, I've noticed they bloody well hurt, mostly in the shins. Not so when I'm in my Vibrams.

gcclarke said:
I still do almost all my walking around in "normal" shoes. And on occasion I do run (such as when I notice that the bus I'm trying to catch is coming and I'm still 2 blocks away). And even for short runs like that, I've noticed they bloody well hurt, mostly in the shins. Not so when I'm in my Vibrams.

I haven't started running a lot in them, but I put a lot of miles on them on this last vacation walking - I've found they are improving my balance substantially (part of the problem I have from previous foot and ankle injuries), and they're actually pretty comfortable overall.  And a good icebreaker - a lot of people look twice and ask what the hell they are.

Borden allows them. I wore them for my express test in June. The PSP staff takes no issue with them here. CFSATE and CFSEME both allow them, and even have staff members wear them for unit PT.

It was heavily suggested for me to switch into them last year by base physio due to constant running related injuries. On my third pair, I now run 20km to 25km a week in them on pavement. I've been pain free since I made the switch and I no longer hate running. I have no joint pain. The only issue I had is waking up first thing in the morning my feet are stiff. You have to learn proper "foot stretches" before and after runs. Also your feet get wider and shorter and the arches get higher over time with use. my feet look really manly now.

Looks like the US Navy just authorized the use of minimalist footwear.

http://www.runblogger.com/2011/08/united-states-navy-authorizes-use-of.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Runblogger+%28Runblogger%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

The U.S. Army stands firm:
.... The decision was made by Sergeant Major of the Army Raymond Chandler and his board of directors, which is composed of key command sergeants major.

“The decision was based on the lack of conformity with the Army’s conservative professional appearance,” said Hank Minitrez, a spokesman for Army G-1. “The Army continues to foster a professional, conservative, nonfaddish image in its soldiers, and they believe this type of shoe detracts from this appearance.”

Minitrez said the issue is not likely to be addressed again. And that is not sitting well with some soldiers.

“Wow,” said one Special Forces field grade officer who runs in such shoes daily. “I’ve been an avid runner for 20 years and have never had something as good as these. Bad call.”

The Army stands alone in that decision.

The Marine Corps allows local commanders to ban the shoes, but there is no servicewide ban. In fact, the headquarters battalion for the Corps’ top brass and support troops has approved them for PT. The Air Force has taken an identical stance.

The Navy on Aug. 5 gave the green light for sailors to wear the shoes. One sailor who does is Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (SW/AW) Rick West, Chandler’s counterpart in that service ....
Army Times, 29 Aug 11

.... and these are the kind of people that make us wear our fleece UNDER our shirts .... well .... at least it's not just us?  ::)

Wook

Hey,

I was running in regular running shoes for about 4-5k 3 days and had shin splints and other problems. I switched to these and I am now doing about 5k a day and 10k on the weekend on pavement. Start slow, I did 13k the first week I had them since they are so fun to run in and I was hurting for days.

Ben

zander1976 said:
Start slow, I did 13k the first week I had them since they are so fun to run in and I was hurting for days.

You should run more than a km the first time you use them, and then only increase by 10% of your pre-use distance per week.

Other than the calf pain, the risk of Achilles rupture is increased due to the workload on that tendon.

I just picked up a pair of these for myself.  I just wanted to verify if they are good to go for BMQ?

big45-70 said:
I just picked up a pair of these for myself.  I just wanted to verify if they are good to go for BMQ?

Highly recommend against it. I'm only a year out of the Mega, but anything besides actual running shoes were a no-go. Feel free to give it a try, but be prepared for some backlash for it.

big45-70 said:

There were a couple guys on my BMOQ last summer that used them. Some of the PSP staff wore them also. They had to deal with jokes at their expense about the shoes, but no one said they could not wear them.

Rider Pride said:
You should run more than a km the first time you use them, and then only increase by 10% of your pre-use distance per week.

Other than the calf pain, the risk of Achilles rupture is increased due to the workload on that tendon.

I'll second this.

I tried running just under a KM in my Minimus MT10s and was a little sore but not too bad.

Just ran a bit over 10Km for my second run.  My time average suffered horribly and my calves and hips feel like I rubbed lava on them, and it's getting worse.

I went full retard and am suffering for it.

Back