• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Veteran groups seek to influence the 2015 vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
NDP reaches out to the disaffected veteran community.
Mulcair promises better care for Canada's 'disrespected' military veterans
CTV News
21 Sep 2015

HALIFAX -- Canada's "disrespected" military veterans would see more federal health care support under an NDP government, party leader Tom Mulcair announced Monday.

"I will ensure our government honours the sacrifices of our veterans and provides the services and benefits they've earned," Mulcair said at a legion hall in Halifax.

Mulcair said a government under his leadership would spend $454 million over four years to provide treatment for veterans suffering from the effects of post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD.

The money would also be used to improve long-term care services and the Veterans Independence Program.

Mulcair criticized the Conservative government for letting veterans down through cuts to their health services.

"Ask our veterans and they will tell you about nine years of disrespect they've seen from Stephen Harper," he said.

Mulcair also announced that an NDP government, if elected, will apologize and "make amends" to former servicemen and women who were forced out of the military over their sexual orientation.

Mulcair calls the move a measure of fairness that is long overdue.

"And we will launch a public inquiry into the spraying of Agent Orange at CFB Gagetown," he added.

The federal government set aside nearly $100 million in 2007 for Canadians harmed by Agent Orange and other chemicals used at the base.

Agent Orange is a toxic herbicide that was sprayed at CFB Gagetown in the mid-1960s by the U.S. military, with permission from Canada.

Exposure to it has been known to lead to some skin disorders, liver problems and certain types of cancer.

Mulcair made the announcements as his election campaign continues to tour Atlantic Canada.

He was expected to travel to Charlottetown later in the day.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/mulcair-promises-better-care-for-canada-s-disrespected-military-veterans-1.2573083

And here's the news release with what few specifics they're offering right now.

milnews.ca said:

So will there be a political qualifying test to determine who is a 'disrepected veteran'?

Posted by: milnews.ca
« on: Today at 09:42:31 »

A five page PDF with only four short paragraphs of what they will do. To me some of their announcements are a rehash of what the Conservatives are now doing. Is this "$454 million investment" new additional funding or a continuation of the program funding from the Conservatives? Is the reopening of the closed offices coming out of VAC current budget or will there be new additional money? Opening the offices will eat millions.

Note that the NDP HAS NOT promised to get rid of lump sum payments and bring back lifetime pensions. They never demanded this while official opposition either.

So as a Cole's notes for anyone wanting it, the NDP's only support for veterans is:

$454 million over 4 years ($113.5 million a year) split between:

- Treatment for PTSD and mental health issues
- Enhancements to long-term care (no details)
- Expand VIP program (no details)
- Increase survivor's pensions
- Ensure funding for Last Post Fund

So each survivor is going get a $20 increase a month for their pension, and maybe VIP will buy us a Timmies? Platitudes, and looks like a lot less money than what the Tories have already committed. This is what ABC Veterans claims is better?

Rifleman62 said:
Note that the NDP HAS NOT promised to get rid of lump sum payments and bring back lifetime pensions. They never demanded this while official opposition either.
Not exactly - this, from the NDP's 2013 policy paper on the issue:
.... New Democrats would review, improve, and update the entire New Veterans Charter (NVC) from top to bottom including the issue of lump-sum payments ....
I WILL grant you that a review =/= a commitment to change, but I haven't heard any such commitment from the Conservatives, either.  So far, the Liberals have promised a choice between lump sum & monthly payment, and the Greens have said "The Lump Sum Payment in lieu of lifetime pension for injuries sustained on duty for Canada must be scrapped ...."

The party's veteran promises, announced so far this campaign:
Still almost four weeks left, so loads of time for everyone to flesh out their promises.

Well, the PAO in me is looking at the Liberal page and wondering if that is a stock photo from a CAF databank which they are using, which would be completely inappropriate and not just a little illegal during an election campaign.

PuckChaser said:
So as a Cole's notes for anyone wanting it, the NDP's only support for veterans is:

$454 million over 4 years ($113.5 million a year) split between:

- Treatment for PTSD and mental health issues
- Enhancements to long-term care (no details)
- Expand VIP program (no details)
- Increase survivor's pensions
- Ensure funding for Last Post Fund

So each survivor is going get a $20 increase a month for their pension, and maybe VIP will buy us a Timmies? Platitudes, and looks like a lot less money than what the Tories have already committed. This is what ABC Veterans claims is better?

When you factor in the increased cost to "study" this with the appropriate NDP friendly think tanks, say Rideau Institute, and then ensure that said "improvements" must be implemented by appropriate union persons which will each need more funds, I think the extra $20.00 and a Timmies is prpbably not going to happen.  8)

milnews.ca said:
.... For the record, comittments to vets so far with about four weeks left before voting day:

One more plank for the Conservatives' platform - new veterans ID (release also attached in case link doesn't work for you):
.... the Honourable Erin O’Toole, on behalf of Prime Minister Stephen Harper and the Conservative Party of Canada, announced a new initiative to recognize the service of all Veterans and make it easier to access the services they need.

A re-elected Conservative government would issue a Canadian Veterans Card (CVC) to every Veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces.

“The Canadian Veterans Card will help hundreds of thousands of men and women who have proudly served Canada in the Armed Forces,” said O’Toole while making the announcement outside of CFB Gagetown NB.

“The CVC will be issued the moment a Veteran is released from the military, enabling Veterans Affairs Canada to immediately contact the Veteran and make him or her aware the benefits and services available.”

“This CVC will act as a catalyst to further close the seam between the Department of National Defence and Veterans Affairs Canada.” O’Toole added.

Every Military member who has completed basic training and who is honourably discharged will receive the CVC. This includes Regular Force, Reservists, Canadian Rangers and the Cadet Instructor Cadre.

Veterans Affairs Canada will also proactively reach out to existing Veterans to ensure they get their CVC.

The CVC will serve as official government identification ....
Meanwhile, the NVC litigation remains in play while others have been dropped, even during the campaign period.

I'm going to guess that, just like the old service pins and the more modern e.g. SSI, these will be, somehow, coded ... i.e:

1. Those with 28 or more years of service will get a Platinum card;

2. There'll be a Gold card for those with more than 20 but less than 28 years of service;

3. Those with more than, say, five or seven years of service will get a Blue card; and

4. There will be a Green card for those who never managed to finish their initial engagement.

Sorta like ...

credit-cards-123.jpg

... but, maybe, with a picture.  ;)

And I for one as a future veteran am extremely underwhelmed by it all.

My personal fave from the news release:
.... Every Military member who has completed basic training and who is honourably discharged will receive the CVC. This includes Regular Force, Reservists, Canadian Rangers and the Cadet Instructor Cadre.

Veterans Affairs Canada will also proactively reach out to existing Veterans to ensure they get their CVC.

The CVC will serve as official government identification ....
Good use of resources, getting "papers" to ALL vets, given the percieved shortage of front-line staff  :facepalm:

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Just a stupid question that just popped into my mind: What the heck was my CF 75 for then?

1.  Not everyone got a CF 75.

2.  How could they justify keeping, or increasing, staff if they did not create another bureaucratic boon doggle ?

>:D

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Just a stupid question that just popped into my mind: What the heck was my CF 75 for then?

I think the complaint (valid for some) is that the CF-75 is only issued after n years of service (I forget how many) and there are, of course, some young combat veterans who served, very honourably, and left the CF, perhaps because of wounds, but do not qualify for the CF-75 because they didn't serve long enough.

E.R. Campbell said:
I'm going to guess that, just like the old service pins and the more modern e.g. SSI, these will be, somehow, coded ... i.e:

1. Those with 28 or more years of service will get a Platinum card;

2. There'll be a Gold card for those with more than 20 but less than 28 years of service;

3. Those with more than, say, five or seven years of service will get a Blue card; and

4. There will be a Green card for those who never managed to finish their initial engagement.

Sorta like ...

credit-cards-123.jpg

... but, maybe, with a picture.  ;)

So, in other words, you'll be able to tell just how old a fart someone is by the colour of their card...

dapaterson said:
So, in other words, you'll be able to tell just how old a fart someone is by the colour of their card...

Yep ... a very, very attractive young lady, a flight attendant on a good, global airline, once told me that her favourite colours were grey and platinum: enough grey in the hair to indicate maturity and enough platinum on the credit cards to indicate success.  :nod:

E.R. Campbell said:
I think the complaint (valid for some) is that the CF-75 is only issued after n years of service (I forget how many) and there are, of course, some young combat veterans who served, very honourably, and left the CF, perhaps because of wounds, but do not qualify for the CF-75 because they didn't serve long enough.
And one hopes that the new card will get the outgoing troop connected posthaste into the VAC sausage machine, something I don't think the NDI75 does now. 

Also, the NDI is NOT an I.D. card (as it says on the back), while the new card will be - no shortage of process involved to create ANOTHER certified piece of government I.D.

milnews.ca said:
And one hopes that the new card will get the outgoing troop connected posthaste into the VAC sausage machine, something I don't think the NDI75 does now. 

Also, the NDI is NOT an I.D. card (as it says on the back), while the new card will be - no shortage of process involved to create ANOTHER certified piece of government I.D.

Precisely. While I'm loathe to support another bureaucratic process, there's thousands of us that are only know to VAC once we initiate contact. For many, that's too late. VAC should have the name and address of every vet at their digital fingertips. They should be proactive with periodic mailings that advise vets of the services that are available to them, and provide contact information to start the various processes. Heck, if the veteran won't intervene on their own behalf, at least family can because they have the contact information. Will it cost? Sure, but I wager it's pretty cheap, and isn't that what we're asking for anyway? A better connection between VAC and vets and their families. Establishing contact with VAC should be part of the release process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back