• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAdm Norman - Supply Ship contract: Legal fight

Cloud Cover said:
This guy is on crack: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-theres-no-evidence-liberals-interfered-in-mark-norman-prosecution/?utm_medium=Referrer:+Social+Network+/+Media&utm_campaign=Shared+Web+Article+Links

<SNIP
But there is no evidence the government pushed the office of the director of public prosecutions to lay the charge. Quite the opposite.

Well, other than that time...no, make that...two times...that the PM pre-saged that the Norman issue would be dealt with in the Courts...even before the Vice-Admiral was charged.

You know, independence of the prosecutorial system, et al.

Regards
G2G

Norman was told by Harper cabinet to talk to Quebec shipyard about leasing deal

'Mark Norman was acting ... with cabinet authority,' says ex-defence minister Peter MacKay
Vice-Admiral Mark Norman not only had the blessing of the former Conservative cabinet to deal with a Quebec shipyard, he was authorized to speak with it directly in the run-up to the signing of a $668-million leasing contract, CBC News has learned.

The revelation raises further questions about the handling of the RCMP's investigation into allegations that the military's former second-in-command leaked sensitive cabinet information about the contract.

It also peels back the curtain on some of the thinking that may have gone into the Crown's decision to stay the single breach-of-trust charge against Norman, who at one time commanded the Royal Canadian Navy.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mark-norman-supply-ship-davie-harper-mackay-1.5134548

Is somebody high up in the RCMP taking a political bribe here while throwing his investigators under the bus?  Really, the RCMP, with how many folks working on this case,  didn't think of asking the sitting cabinet members at the time the contract was awarded any questions?   

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Is somebody high up in the RCMP taking a political bribe here while throwing his investigators under the bus?  Really, the RCMP, with how many folks working on this case,  didn't think of asking the sitting cabinet members at the time the contract was awarded any questions? 

There is massive speculation out there on social media that puts the liberal appointed commissioner right in trudeau's pocket. I don't know, just sayin' from what I've seen.

Fishbone Jones said:
There is massive speculation out there on social media that puts the liberal appointed commissioner right in trudeau's pocket. I don't know, just sayin' from what I've seen.
The investigation and referral for charges happened under Bob Paulson, who was a Harper appointee. The issue seems to have been that the RCMP were only given one name to investigate by PCO out of the 72 PCO knew to have been able to leak the information. That’s where the political interference took place.

Monsoon said:
The investigation and referral for charges happened under Bob Paulson, who was a Harper appointee. The issue seems to have been that the RCMP were only given one name to investigate by PCO out of the 72 PCO knew to have been able to leak the information. That’s where the political interference took place.

Thanks for the info Monsoon

I made no claims to veracity. Tossed in as fodder in answer to a question. Only what I've seen. A simple observation claiming no pedigree.

Unfortunately, it doesn't stop the peanut gallery chiming in though does it? Passive aggressive bullies are everywhere  ::)

The inherent self confident ignorance of being a MARS officer?

dapaterson said:
The inherent self confident ignorance of being a MARS officer?
But there are so many of us to choose from...

Ken’s claim to media fame is as a Dalhousie security studies prof. He’s one of relatively few on that beat who are naval officers, so I guess it was inevitable he might weigh in. I have to say I’m in complete disagreement with him, though.

VCDS Norman should never have been charged unless there was evidence of personal benefit, unless the Crown felt that the public good was served by changing precedent.

Perhaps the RCMP and prosecution half assed it on purpose? What other reason can there be for their poor performance?

No one will get tagged. This is not a Government apology, it's an apology from the House of Commons made by way of Motion, which BTW will let the Government continue with it's "all due process was followed" line and not apologizing otherwise on behalf of the Government.

The normal procedure, since it relates to a specific person, is for the Speaker of the House to forward a certified copy of the motion to the appropriate party with a cover letter. All this is prepared by his/her staff on behalf of the HoC.

P.S. These type of motions are non-binding on the Government.

Maybe we'll get treated to another 'teaching moment' speech by the king of non-apologies.

Although apparently, the King walked out before the vote...so that's still a bit of a slap in the face.

Navy_Pete said:
Ugh, Ken Hansen was interviewed on CTV as a 'military insider' on this.

No idea how a retired three ringer, who has no experience with procurement, working in requirements, or being a GOFO, but why does this guy keep getting called up as a talking head all the time??

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/video?binId=1.1145507#1.1145518

Mr. Hansen is on News 95.7fm in Halifax all the time.  He seems to be their go to for all things RCN.

Just my opinion from listening to him allot but he comes across as a Liberal and Irving fan boy. 

He was very unsupportive of Asterix right from the get go.

NavyShooter said:
Although apparently, the King walked out before the vote...so that's still a bit of a slap in the face.
To be fair, he did have to get to a photo op at Notre Dame cathedral… with a pesky side-trip to a political Summit on curtailing online extremism (if only there was some technology that would have allowed them to do that meeting... you know... online)

Journeyman said:
To be fair, he did have to get to a photo op at Notre Dame cathedral… with a pesky side-trip to a political Summit on curtailing online extremism (if only there was some technology that would have allowed them to do that meeting... you know... online)

That has been proven untrue.  As I watched CTV news at 2200hrs (Halifax time) last night the PM still hadn't flown out of the country.

It was brought up as another head scratcher by the CTV News Power Panel.

Halifax Tar said:
Mr. Hansen is on News 95.7fm in Halifax all the time.  He seems to be their go to for all things RCN.

Just my opinion from listening to him allot but he comes across as a Liberal and Irving fan boy. 

He was very unsupportive of Asterix right from the get go.

Maybe retired RCN talking head is a growth market?

"I'm so-and-so, and my head is an external organ. Call me for all your filler opinion needs; I will be your pseudo-SME on demand!"

Back