• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAdm Norman - Supply Ship contract: Legal fight

2826851_1.jpg

kratz said:

All of which are a bridge too far.  While I do support due process for the Admiral, and i do believe it was interfered with and orchestrated, this was not a whole of government failure or conspiracy.

This isn't something that can be thrown back on the previous government, but I see some people have really got the bit in to try and cast blame there.

What's remarkable to me is the incurious approach taken by investigators and the press.

Brad Sallows said:
This isn't something that can be thrown back on the previous government, but I see some people have really got the bit in to try and cast blame there.

What's remarkable to me is the incurious approach taken by investigators and the press.

Isn't that SOP now ?  When in doubt blame the previous government.

Halifax Tar said:
Isn't that SOP now ?  When in doubt blame the previous government.

Are you all familiar with the 'three envelopes' story?

LCol X took command of the 3rd Royal Geffufian Underground Fusiliers from LCol Y. There was a fine parade and a nice reception and after all that the two walked back tot he RHQ building so that LCol Y could pick up a couple of things from the office before the change of command mess dinner. When they got to the office LCol Y put his diary and calendar in his briefcase and then he handed LCol X three envelopes, marked 1, 2 and 3.

"Look, my friend," LCol Y said: "command of this regiment is wonderful but, trust me, something will go wrong and you'll find yourself on the wrong end of a one-sided conversation with the commander. When that happens," he said, "open these envelopes in the order, 1,2 and then 3."

Well, after a few months that one-sided conversation did happen and LCol X remembered the envelopes LCol Y had given him and he pulled them out of his desk drawer and opened No. 1. "Blame me," it said ... "one can always blame his predecessor for leaving things in a muddle." LCol X did that and the commander seemed mollified.

Regimental command was, indeed, wonderful and it was many months before the commander, once again in high dudgeon, called for the second time. LCol X remembered how well envelope 1 had worked and he opened #2. "Reorganize," it said. He explained to the commander that he needed to reorganize to cope with the ever-changing demands of modern warfare and, once again, the commander seemed satisfied.

Of course, since we have three envelopes in this story we need a third phone call ... it came and LCol X, confidently, opened envelope #3 ...
"Prepare 3 envelopes" was all it said.

So the MND was on CTV Question Period today.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/video?clipId=1681735

I'll keep my opinions to myself, but I'm posting this so that folks can make up their own mind on what came out of his mouth.

All I'll say is that the Liberals have their talking points down tight.

MND waffled, answering questions unasked, which should be no surprise

I think they covered it pretty well during the scrum later that involved Peter McKay

Today on Global's The West Block, Public Services and Procurement Minister Carla Qualtrough commented on Trudeau's foretelling of the outcome of the RCMP's investigation into the former VCDS on two occasions.  It's important to note that these predictions that the VAdm's case would inevitably got to trial are evidence of political interference from his office long before he put pressure on the former AG to influence the outcome of the SNC-Lavalin case.

A good question was asked by the journalist:  In a town with more leaks than the Titanic, why was the hunt for the source of this particular leak so fervent?

Jarnhamar said:
Yea that was embarrassing to watch. Poor guy.
Follow the Process. Respect Independence of Investigation. Support the Decision of General Vance.
Remove slime, rinse and repeat.

Cloud Cover said:
Follow the Process. Respect Independence of Investigation. Support the Decision of General Vance.
Remove slime, rinse and repeat.

I like that reporter.
"You treated him guilty from the start without a trial, hurt his family and his reputation. The government apologizes to everyone, why can't you apologize to him?"
"waffle waffle waffle".

Jarnhamar said:
"You treated him guilty from the start without a trial, hurt his family and his reputation. The government apologizes to everyone, why can't you apologize to him?"

The PM is well rumoured to have a temper with anyone who crosses him (e.g. JWR).  I'm sure the stay of proceedings in this case didn't make him happy at all. The PM never apologized to JWR so to expect anyone in his government to apologize to VAdm Norman is disingenuous.

Haggis said:
The PM is well rumoured to have a temper with anyone who crosses him (e.g. JWR).  I'm sure the stay of proceedings in this case didn't make him happy at all. The PM never apologized to JWR so to expect anyone in his government to apologize to VAdm Norman is disingenuous.

A “temper” is an understatement. This is the kid that got stuffed in the locker in high school.
We’re led (not well) by the equivalent of one of those hereditary kings who wasn’t the pick of the litter but gained power only because he was the oldest. A spoiled brat who has never been told he’s wrong or heard the word “no”.

Spoiler alert.

Lady Olenna Tyrell is the one who did away with Joffrey...that is likely what you need instead of a Stark.  Most of the Starks get themselves killed or crippled.

This guy is on crack: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-theres-no-evidence-liberals-interfered-in-mark-norman-prosecution/?utm_medium=Referrer:+Social+Network+/+Media&utm_campaign=Shared+Web+Article+Links

<SNIP
"But the facts do not support that allegation. As much as this might disappoint their critics, there is no evidence the Liberals interfered in the Norman prosecution.

The government did ask police to investigate the leak of a cabinet decision concerning a supply vessel from the Davie shipyard in Quebec.

The RCMP investigation led to a charge of breach of trust against Vice-Adm. Norman. That charge was stayed last week, more than two years after Vice-Adm. Norman was first suspended from the navy. He has suffered greatly as a result of this ordeal and deserves restitution.

But there is no evidence the government pushed the office of the director of public prosecutions to lay the charge. Quite the opposite.

In the recording of the Dec. 19 phone call between Jody Wilson-Raybould and Michael Wernick over the SNC-Lavalin affair, the former attorney-general warned the former clerk of the Privy Council that Mr. Trudeau is “interfering with one of our fundamental institutions,” and “breaching a constitutional principle of prosecutorial independence,” by trying to intervene in the case.

We can stand up in the House of Commons on Norman on – totally appropriately on Norman – on extradition, and we can talk about the rule of law,” she states. “The cases are not dissimilar.” (“Extradition” refers to the detaining of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou, which Canada maintains it was bound to do under an extradition treaty with the United States.)"  END SNIP>

In fact, it transpired after that call that the lawyers at the PMO did in fact meet with lawyers from PPSC, and they did in fact make suggestions and demands to "engineer the outcome" and in fact they did this without informing the AG.  All of this information was in the Crown disclosure in February*.

I'm not sure what Ibbitson is thinking here, this is not his first rodeo either....

Norman's defence accuses Trudeau PMO of attempting to direct prosecution
<SNIP
"The prosecution should not be discussing trial strategy with the Prime Minister's Office's right-hand person," she said, referring to the PCO legal counsel.

"By all appearances, this is a more direct influencing of the prosecution. The attorney general is entirely bypassed. The Prime Minister's Office, via its right arm the PCO, is dealing directly with the (Public Prosecution Service of Canada). And the prosecution service is allowing this to happen."

That prompted a cutting remark from the judge hearing Norman's case.

"So much for the independence of the PPSC," said Judge Heather Perkins-McVey."  END SNIP>

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mark-norman-davie-shipyard-breach-trust-1.5014538

Back