• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

USAF C-17 Globemaster makes emergency landing in Halifax

geo said:
Maybe we should get CTV to start a new survey poll
Make sure that no one takes Chevy Suburbans into the Air ever again  >:D

But it should also be obscure and extremely open ended...

"Should Suburbans fly?"

Good2Golf said:
I would think that since Chevy Suburbans don't normally spring into spontaneous combustion, there must have been some fault with the vehicle that was not detectable by the LM during the load.  The number of the crews may also include other crew or pers dead heading back on the aircraft.

G2G

I'm thinking "may be" battery wires hitting other metal objects.  ;D

I do recall the batteries have to be disable in some way while in the vehicle. (ie.. negitive disconnected.)
Please correct me if I'm wrong. It has been a bit since I"ve done it.

The press could have called it by its shipping name...

" UN 3166 Vehicle, flammable gas powered or UN 3166 Vehicle, flammable liquid powered," sounds mysterious  :eek:

Steel wool is not regulated.
DG and Hazardous Materials fall into different categories as identified in the ICAO and IATA Pubs.

OR as sited in the TDG
2.1 Determining When Substances Are Dangerous Goods

A substance is dangerous goods when

(a) it is listed by name in Schedule 1 and is in any form, state or concentration that meets the criteria in this Part for inclusion in at least one of the 9 classes of dangerous goods; or

(b) it is not listed by name in Schedule 1 but meets the criteria in this Part for inclusion in at least one of the 9 classes of dangerous goods.

2.1 Determining When Substances Are Dangerous Goods

A substance is dangerous goods when

(a) it is listed by name in Schedule 1 and is in any form, state or concentration that meets the criteria in this Part for inclusion in at least one of the 9 classes of dangerous goods; or

(b) it is not listed by name in Schedule 1 but meets the criteria in this Part for inclusion in at least one of the 9 classes of dangerous goods.

All Vehicles in the CF are transported with in accordance with the A-LM-117
Chevy products are crap.

As for the batteris being disconected...NO not necessarily.
It depends on what it is and what checklist it  falls under.

"Steel wool is not regulated. "

Steel wool and a 9 volt battery.... GREAT fire starter :)

It's been a few years since I was involved but there used to be a CFP regarding cargo in the library on board the Hercules . "CFP---Manual of Dangerous Cargo" or something similar that covered all of the things which were special in nature and had to be classified. The movers  such as Mover1 had a whole empire which revolved around this book and loadmasters used to cause flight delays out of Trenton (usually at 00Darkhundred) while they got someone out of bed to cut a message from HQ which was across the road authorizing the flight to carry something mundane like a can of oil to Alert.  No one had to look at the cargo in question but they had to provide a piece of paper saying that it was OK to put it on the flight.
The book had listings of all of the things that were considered dangerous or hazardous or whatever and there was no end to the controversy over what was what and who should do what about what.

no question about it beenthere

A You look at steel wool & you say so what
B You look at a 9 volt battery and you say so what
You put A & B together and surprise... you say WHOA!

Yep. Steel wool burns. Those neat little hand warmer packets that you can put in your mitts contain steel filings and something to accelerate oxidation of them--some form of salt? I've heard lots of stories about steel wool being inflamable in the right conditions.
At any rate the CFP regarding dangerous cargo used to be interesting. Why items like bailed human hair, charcoal, and similar things were dangerous topics for conversation  on long flights . A small (1 qt.) can of paint was bad but a large (1 gal.) can was OK.??

A cute note on spellcheck. It must have a naughty mind. In the first line of my post there is "them--some". Spellcheck suggested threesome.  >:D

Yes I know steel wool burns and a battery can cause it to ignite.
There are rules on Batteries too.
Loose batteries are to be bundled together with their ends taped. 

As for our little empire which revolves around a piece of paper. I suggest you look a little deeper into the picture.

Firstly all dangerous goods has to be packaged and documented properly. THIS IS THE LAW
Secondly  there are compatibility issues to deal with. If substance A mixes with substance B will it cause a reaction? If so what reaction is this. (hey lets put this LOX cart on with an open can of Grease)
Next we need permission to put it on board DND aircraft. IF DG is boarded then only duty passengers may board the Aircraft. No PRI 5 personnel.
The people in Move Winnipeg give us authority to load DG on certain Aircraft and they give overflight permission for us to fly into/over different countries with our junk. (Guns/Ammo/Fuel) It also determines where A/C are allowed to park.

We don't make the rules the Minister of Transport does. I just have to follow it because it's my ass that gets hung to dry and on the safety perspective it make sense.

But there are exceptions to everything on an OP these rules can go out the window. But only if we have that little piece of paper giving us authority for a Combat Load.

Mover1. I knew all of that and I knew that if I mentioned empire you would respond as you did.  >:D However, no doubt many people who have read your post will benefit from your explanation of how the system works.

To add to what Mover 1 said about DC. There are more than one pub that we use depending on the situation. We use ICAO, IATA, IMDG (sea shipments), TDG Act(Road shipments), The AL-M-117, and to a lesser extent the AL-M-258-4, there are more but these are the most commonly used pubs for DC.

Also for shipping purposes there needs to be a Mov Winnipeg DC Acceptance message, CARF, Waybill, Shippers Declaration of Dangerous Goods, and a couple of other docs depending if you are going out of the country. There is much more to it than most people know.

Stop the pain! 

DC is a huge PITA in my world.  We lack MAMs support - don't have a Loadie - and our FE is task saturated enough with his job.  I like to always have the caveat in my back pocket that gives the AC the final authority to decide to go without any paperwork if the conditions are met.  I'd hate to have to delay SAR because A4 Mov wasn't answering their phones.

no problem beenthere

besides its our empire to defend with all those FE's and Navs slowly becoming obsolescent. and going the way of the Wireless/ Air Gunner ;D

Zoomie said:
Stop the pain! 

DC is a huge PITA in my world.  We lack MAMs support - don't have a Loadie - and our FE is task saturated enough with his job.  I like to always have the caveat in my back pocket that gives the AC the final authority to decide to go without any paperwork if the conditions are met.  I'd hate to have to delay SAR because A4 Mov wasn't answering their phones.
I recall something about a blanket coverage or permanent waiver for dangerous cargo on SAR ops.  Obviously something has changed.  What about all of the smokes, flares and other fireworks that are carried on all SAR aircraft?

beenthere said:
I recall something about a blanket coverage or permanent waiver for dangerous cargo on SAR ops. 

Sorry to add confusion - the DC waiver still covers all of our SAR load and anything else that we could possibly use in SAR.  The option of being able to self-authorize would be for anything above and beyond the scope of the waiver.

mover1 said:
no problem beenthere

besides its our empire to defend with all those FE's and Navs slowly becoming obsolescent. and going the way of the Wireless/ Air Gunner ;D

:rofl:

Zoomie
Be carefull, Us FE's  are pretty on the ball when it comes to DG. Just don't expect the same departure time when we are wearing both hats. I've only been bitten once and that was on a SAR launch while dual tasked to carry an EOD team. It got worked out in the end and lets say it will not happen again. Any way I' don't have to worry about it any more, apparently on the CC-130 there are Load Masters that take care of it .

Loadies take care of lots of things; coffee, tea, cooking, cleaning and entertainment.  I used to fly with one who provided inflight palm reading services for passengers. :eek: Now, that's a talent you don't find too often.

Yup
Promoted posted and start course in Trenton mid feb. Its been a blast

beenthere said:
Loadies take care of lots of things; coffee, tea, cooking, cleaning and entertainment.  I used to fly with one who provided inflight palm reading services for passengers. :eek: Now, that's a talent you don't find too often.

Aiden. He provided the most comfy loadie-tummy-pillow for Alert/Thule/Iqaluit flights that I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

Back