• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Election: 2016

The problem is that, when a candidate harps on nothing else than the fact that the election he is running in is rigged and therefore the only possible conclusion should he lose is that it was from an unbelievable level of fraud, not from a majority of people rejecting his candidacy, then the followers of this person can only see the election of another person as illegitimate. And countries where the government is considered illegitimate often face revolts and other forms of violence in the wake of elections.

Would it not have been much better to run a positive campaign on how the system doesn't work by claiming to want to fix it?

Imagine if the candidate ran on a platform such as: "If I am elected, this is going to be the last presidential election that will be held using Great Electors. If elected, I will begin the constitutional amendment process so that in the next election, the president will be elected by direct vote of the citizens, truly a one person - one vote system, with as many candidates as decide to run on the ticket and with a run off election if none of the candidates get a majority of votes on the first ballot"

Know what, I would have voted for someone proposing such a change.

(See how I nicely managed to propose this whole post without mentioning names  ;) )

And I was referring only to this site.
I've absolutely zero doubt that the Clinton and Trump camps' extreme :tempertantrum: crowd  will be out and at their juvenile worst following the election, regardless of winner.  ::)

Journeyman said:
And I was referring only to this site.
I've absolutely zero doubt that the Clinton and Trump camps' extreme :tempertantrum: crowd  will be out and at their juvenile worst following the election, regardless of winner.  ::)

The scary thing is that, given how polarized these camps are, just how bad is their "worst"?

Imagine that after losing the election, Trump were to proclaim that the election was fraudulent, and that his supporters should not consider the new administration to be legitimate. Imagine then that Trump decided to stand-up his own shadow-government, because the current establishment and MSM had failed the American People. Not a new government based on geographical boundaries like the north-south union/confed, but one that could be stood up with establishments intermixed throughout the country. If he cried out for his followers to ignore the rules and directives and laws of the old establishment run by crooked Hilary Clinton, and told them only listen to the enlightened wisdom of his government and his laws... how many do you think would follow him?

Lumber said:
... how many do you think would follow him?
Not my fortune to tell.

I'd typed more, but it will add nothing to this "discussion," so I'll STFU again.

Lumber said:
... how many do you think would follow him?
On either side, it only takes a few (sometimes, very few) idiots to make life miserable for everyone.

milnews.ca said:
On either side, it only takes a few (sometimes, very few) idiots to make life miserable for everyone.

Like a bowl of Skittles!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2016/09/20/trump-skittles-2-large_trans++qVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

At the end of the day, the candidate that wins is less important than who gets to select the next 12-20years of Supreme Court Judges. That is the key issue. As for the "rigged" statement, Trump is preparing his ground for a loss in which he is not to blame, therefore his image as a winner stays intact, at least for himself. Trump will move on if he does not win, into some other venture.

Concur, this has been about Trump and only Trump.  That people can no longer see that is telling of how much reality TV has had on the American Psyche.  I try to avoid picks in other nations elections, but this is getting way out of hand on both sides.  Neither candidate is worthy of their party, their people or the US constitution.

Another issue which is coming to bite any candidate in the future (very near future). Increasing taxes and regulation will simply strangle any prospective growth, much less prevent the rosy 7% compounded returns the pension funds are projecting. Dem voters who believe they are ever going to get these pension payouts are in for a huge shock, unless they have been paying attention:

http://www.the-american-interest.com/2016/10/17/another-way-pension-liabilities-are-mismeasured/

Another Way Pension Liabilities Are Mismeasured

Regular readers of this blog know that a pension meteor is headed for state and local governments, and that deceptive accounting practices obscure the likely scope of the destruction. The biggest source of confusion has to do with rates of return: Most pension funds assume that their assets will grow at rates of seven to eight percent per year indefinitely, a virtual impossibility in this age of low interest rates and sluggish growth.

A recent Governing magazine report highlights another way liabilities can be mismeasured. Many taxpayers live in jurisdictions that are on the hook for pensions from many different government agencies, including city governments, county governments, and school districts. So while the per capita pension debt for the City of Denver is just $709 per capita, for example, the “overlapping” obligations on its taxpayers are actually nearly eight times that high:

At the end of fiscal year 2015, Dallas had an unfunded pension obligation of $1,371 per capita. Denver’s was barely half that at $709 per capita. From that number alone we might conclude that Denver is in much better financial shape.

But now let’s add a few crucial layers of complexity. First count up each city’s “overlapping” pension obligations. Overlapping means two or more jurisdictions share some portion of their respective property tax bases. We can think of a region’s property tax base like money in a shared savings account: When one jurisdiction takes money out, there’s less for everyone else.

Dallas shares parts of its property tax base with 20 other governments, including counties, schools, hospitals and community colleges. These other entities’ unfunded pension obligations add up to $1,362 per capita. Denver shares its tax base with just one other entity — the Denver School District — but that district’s pension obligation is a comparatively high $4,876 per capita. So Dallas’ total direct and overlapping pension obligation is $2,733 per capita; Denver’s is $5,585.

Estimating the true cost of unfunded pension obligations is a messy business. Numbers publicly touted by politicians, unions and the actuaries they employ tend to downplay the $3.4 trillion problem and the existential threat it poses to blue model governance nationwide.

A sustainable fix to America’s public pensions will likely require intensive reforms to state and local governance, including the replacement of defined-benefit plans with 401(k)s and robust checks on the lobbying and political power of public sector unions. But the first step toward implementing these changes is for public administrators to come clean with taxpayers about the extent of the mess they are in. Until public sector pension funds are governed by the same rigorous accounting rules that apply in the private sector, it’s likely that instead of gradual reforms, states and localities will continue to govern by crisis, propping up the current system with every last cent and then declaring bankruptcy or asking for bailouts when it all comes tumbling down.

Another issue which is ignored by all and sundry in this campaign.

At the end of the day, the candidate that wins is less important than who gets to select the next 12-20 years of Supreme Court Judges.

This. Many people who will vote for Trump, will vote for this reason. The next administration will likely make 2 or 3 Supreme Court nominations..

In Canada Make America Great hats are hate language personified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exSD86pAYH0
Trump wants to make America all for white people.
His wife is an immigrant.
That doesn't mean anything!

Maybe we should be worried about violence from Canadian universities of Trump wins.

Lightguns said:
C.......  That people can no longer see that is telling of how much reality TV has had on the American Psyche. 

Not just the American Psyche; but young Canadians as well.  Seems that many Millennials are importing American problems, real and fictional, into our society.  For example, the racial problems exploding in the US since the Obama Administration took office are not prevalent in Canada, yet Millennials seem to be embracing the BLM movement and condemning something that is not here.  Seems they have a hard time differentiating between reality and fiction.

Honestly most boring election ever.

When was the last time a election was wrapped up in early October?

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/uspolltracker/

Just playing around with this to see if there was any chance trump could get to 270 and the only way I see it is if he wins NC(trailing) Ohio(trailing) Florida (trailing) Nevada(Trailing) and Virginia(Trailing)

That gets him to 272.

Never mind if he loses a Arizona, a Utah, god forbid Texas.

Yawn.

>The scary thing is that, given how polarized these camps are, just how bad is their "worst"?

That's a high bar to get over.  For example, they'll have to do worse than the personal attacks against Palin and her family.

Altair said:
Honestly most boring election ever.

When was the last time a election was wrapped up in early October?

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/uspolltracker/

Just playing around with this to see if there was any chance trump could get to 270 and the only way I see it is if he wins NC(trailing) Ohio(trailing) Florida (trailing) Nevada(Trailing) and Virginia(Trailing)

That gets him to 272.

Never mind if he loses a Arizona, a Utah, god forbid Texas.

Yawn.

Now that surprises me.  This election may be imbalanced, extremely infuriating, very salacious, but not boring. 

Whatever way this goes it is my opinion that it is not just going to fade away as it did the last Presidential Election.  Abrupt change will result and I foresee troubled times ahead for North America every bit as bad or worse than the fallout as the Vietnam War period that resulted in civil unrest and poor economic conditions for many segments of the population.

George Wallace said:
A video of Gary Burns Secret Service Agent for the Clintons in which he tells of his eight years in the White House under the Clintons.  Gary Burns has written a book on his time under them.

I love reading about the Secret Service. Apparently, Hillary is not a lot of fun to work for. And Bill and those interns! They say Chelsea is nice.

But, apparently, "Byrne was a uniformed officer in Bill Clinton's White House."

I don't believe the  uniformed officers are in very close contact with the First Family compared to the guys in suits and other civilian clothes.

Jed said:
Now that surprises me.  This election may be imbalanced, extremely infuriating, very salacious, but not boring. 

Whatever way this goes it is my opinion that it is not just going to fade away as it did the last Presidential Election.  Abrupt change will result and I foresee troubled times ahead for North America every bit as bad or worse than the fallout as the Vietnam War period that resulted in civil unrest and poor economic conditions for many segments of the population.
Its akin to watching a 7-1 hockey game.

And filtering out all of trumps crazy comments, and Clintons scandals the actual election day is going to be a blowout.

Back