• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Upgrades to Combat Clothing! (pockets on the sleeves & zippers)

loyalist said:
What is a cadet doing with CADPAT? Is that not still protected?

They can buy stuff from a company called Frontenac. It's different material and a different cut. It's not our issue stuff. Don't panic.

Actually, Lerch does have the real issue CADPAT uniform, an a issue OD goretex, jacket, etc.

Posted pics of his stuff on another site.

and if he got it from a legitimate source (surplus store) then they probably got it as surplus.  Due to all the attention that they have been getting, the surplus stores are keeping their noses clean on this one.  I have heard that there are a couple sets of 'real' stuff at Dave's surplus in New Westminster, so I am sure that there are others floating around out there.

qjdb

MCG can you point me in the right direction as to where they say this is approved and also if a Mat Tech did the alteration would that mean its approved?

Hobey what is the cost of the shirt and is it in IR?
Also do you make any chest rigs in Arid?

MJP how's that double thing work?

The double double works great!  Fits on the tac vest like it was one of the issued pouches.  PPCLI MCPL has a sample of one if you want to go see it.

CFL,
Shirts are $115 each 2 for $210.
We are a commercial licensee for CADPAT, so the fabric lacks the IR treatment, as ALL  commercially available CADPAT does.

Hobey

CFL,
We are making chest rigs and over-vests right now. All MOLLE compatible, to work with our pouches. More info this week.

Hobey

CFL,

Regarding the IR issues.  This goes for all aftermarket cadpat done by all the licensed manufacturers:  None of it is IR treated.  DLR/CTS requires that all aftermarket cadpat kit is marked as 'Non IR-Treated' which ICE does.

Now when you consider the whole IR thing there are some things you should ponder:
1.  What portion of enemy forces has night vision capability?  Then think about what the optical resolution is like for most night vision equipment (not talking thermal imaging) and you quickly realize that anything/anyone over 30-40 meters away becomes extremely difficult to see details such as camo pattern on uniform, etc.
2.  How durable is DND spec IR treatments?  How long does the IR treatment remain effective before it degrades through laundering, Especially when you consider that most laundry detergents have optical brighteners which change the light reflective properties of a fabric in both visible and non-visible spectrums (ie. IR)
3.  How effective is DND spec IR treatment when the clothing or equipment article has become soiled with dirt, mud, grease, etc?  These all also degrade the IR coating and are impossible tangibles to avoid when operating.

I am by no means saying that having non-IR treated stuff is good-to-go and it doesn't make any once of difference whether your stuff is IR treated or non-IR treated, but the whole IR treated issue is something that is made out to be more than it really is.
It's a balance in that either you or your chain-of-command makes a decision on whether you want to use issued IR compliant stuff which may decrease your potential efficiency as a soldier due to the design of that kit, or whether you want to use non-IR treated aftermarket stuff which acts as a force multiplier to your efficiency as a soldier.

that's the first I've ever heard of this directive. can someone pass this along to me?
show the room mate, so he can crap his pants and get the mat tech at work to assault his arid cadpat for him then.
and matty; questions in bound ;)
Greg

Yeoman said:
that's the first I've ever heard of this directive. can someone pass this along to me?
show the room mate, so he can crap his pants and get the mat tech at work to assault his arid cadpat for him then.
Greg

There are directives that specifically state that you CAN NOT alter CF issue kit items. If you buy something that's one thing (then I'd also expect you'd be paying that Mat Tech to do the job after hours as he technically can not do anything to purchased kit using DND/CF machines or supplies on DND/CF time).

If it is kit that you are issued, alterations/modifications are not authorized unless for special size requirements, or through an NDHQ authorized project. Else, be prepared to be asked to file the Loss and Damage report so that the Crown can recover the costs of replacing item from you when you attempt to turn in your 'altered' kit.

If you are buying an "add-on" pack etc to be attached to an issued piece of kit, which does not permanently modify the issued item you should be good to go. As long as your own Chain of Command is going to allow you to wear the issued item with the add-on after-market item on it.

Yeoman said:
Greg
Hope that your room-mate is currently deployed or is deploying shortly, otherwise he had 30 days after his return from theatre to turn in his restricted Arid Cadpat to Clothing Stores as per directives.

everbody from the 1st herd of the royals already got theirs. why I don't know, they're not leaving for several months. makes me confused, all I got last year was desert nametapes (then again I never did deploy, ANYWAYS).
well I was just asking that because the guys on here were saying the cds authorized it or something? make it easier on the guys to just go through the mat-tech rather then dropping a couple bills on one of the fancy ones through the kit mongrel websites (even though I'm still going to go just that, but that's not the point of this post).
everybody I know keeps harrassing me about shiny kit syndrome because they're allowed to do like a trillion things for the next roto so they're going through me to obtain everything basically, my head is about ready to explode for all this shiny kit requests.
Greg

Heck, when I got one of the first CADPAT uniforms in 2000 (for my tasking at the war museum in Ottawa), I had to get special permission from Clothe the Soldier to modify the pants thru NDHQ tailor shop just so they would fit me!!  Same goes for any females that want need to get Pregnancy CADPAT.  I would love to see the arm pocket authorized soon though, they look very handy and if we can manage to give them to pilots, then we should be able to give em to Army guys...

Yeoman said:
CFL said:
MCG can you point me in the right direction as to where they say this is approved and also if a Mat Tech did the alteration would that mean its approved?
To be clear on this, nobody is permitted to make (or have someone else make) alterations to the uniform.  These changes will be made through TFA for pers already deployed (obviously the army missed the deadline of getting it done before TF 106 departed) and through a national program for pers that will deploy on the next roto.

Hopefully, the national program also updates the green uniforms for everybody.

Back