• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

When I was in, ironing combats and spit shining combat boots was a thing only the RCA did in Shilo. I’m not sure if anyone else did it east of the Lakehead.
I was in 2 RCHA in the early to mid 90s and we ironed our combats till some of us were told we couldn't replace them at clothing stores if they were ironed. That put an end to ironing, well mostly as we had one ironed set for parades for a while after that.

In the late 1960s I served under a CO (Blake Baille in 2RCR) who was a bit of a stickler for regulations. But it's hard to stickle (yes, that's a word) if you're inconsistent so we also obeyed the orders about combat uniforms and boots: no polish, no ironing, etc.

When I first started working in clothing stores in the late 90s we had black tins of black silicone and a blue tin of clear silicone.

Not sure how or what they were to be applied too.

I remember the "no polish on combat boots" and liquid silicone; then came the black liquid silicone (or it might have been in the other order); then came liquid silicone with the liquid "shiny" black stuff to be applied over top of the silicone (like liquid shoe polish). Then I also put my combats away for a couple of years. Then I ended up at the Infantry School (doing phase trg) where we were told no polishing combat boots or ironing combats . . . that was the same day that the OC Leadership Coy (Maj Ike Kennedy) gave his welcoming speech in combats so heavily starched and ironed that they could stand up on their own and boots shone to a mirror finish. After that my standard responses to creased (or unwrinkled) uniforms was "they came out of the dryer that way" or "that's how I folded them" and polished boots elicited "vigorous application of silicone".
Yep. but that was Ike.

I personally never met Ike, but he was there in Gagetown when I was there. I heard many magnificent stories about him but I'm not sure if some of them were a bit over blown. One story was that he once made the march, with one of Inf Sch Ph crses, from Petersville back to camp while hobbling on crutches. He ended with two hands full of blisters but he made it. Tough man.

When I first started working in clothing stores in the late 90s we had black tins of black silicone and a blue tin of clear silicone.

Originally all we had was clear silicone in the bluish cans for our boots. I never used the black (by that time I'd transferred to JAG and siliconing my boots wasn't an issue :giggle: )

My guess is that they were both for boots and that the clear might just have been older stock.

🍻

I personally never met Ike, but he was there in Gagetown when I was there. I heard many magnificent stories about him but I'm not sure if some of them were a bit over blown. One story was that he once made the march, with one of Inf Sch Ph crses, from Petersville back to camp while hobbling on crutches. He ended with two hands full of blisters but he made it. Tough man.
Ike was, I hope still is, I haven't heard from or about him for several years, both a fine fellow and good soldier ... the more outrageous the story the more likely it is that there is some truth in it. He always was a happy warrior. See, also: Maj. Ike Kennedy and https://multibriefs.com/briefs/rcaa/Colonel Commandant Commendation.pdf

I managed to get a hold of some of those when I was in. The blue tin was the silicone to waterproof the boots. The black tin was the boot blackener to make the black. Boot polish was technically verboten, but you had to scrounge to find that directive.

Here’s some UFI: I was told the best way to apply the silicone was to pour it all into one boot, swish it around and ensure it covered all the surfaces inside, pour the remainder into the next boot, and swish it around inside that boot, which will use the entire tin. I’ll be damned, but it worked! :giggle:

If I was a young Lt./Sgt I could see the expense making sense, 3-4 times a year over a decade or two isn’t too unreasonable. Though, I still think the price is high for just a jacket minus buttons, pips/crowns/badges, hat, pants, etc...

Canex is gonna Canex ... Who made them Logistik Unicorps ? With their shitty quality just get the specs and go to a tailor to have it made.

Ike and I were NCMs in E Tp, M Bty, 4 RCHA. We both later went OCP, Ike as inf, while I continëd to serve the guns. My late wife tells the story of over-hearing some young infantry recounting being enemy force on an exercise, As the final assault was coming in, Ike formed company square and his troops fired volleys from the shoulder.

I had Ike as Ph3 company commander forty years ago. He was quite something but I got the feeling he didn't much like us francos.

Canex is gonna Canex ... Who made them Logistik Unicorps ? With their shitty quality just get the specs and go to a tailor to have it made.
They were made by some other company, and seemed well made at first glance, but still expensive.

Army Ceremonial Dress brought to you by CANEX​

1698350620815.png

Womens Patrol Dress Jacket Universal NCM (EA3) $1,099.99​

1698351361124.png

Womens Patrol Dress Jacket Universal Offr (EA3) $1,199.99​

1698350727088.png

Unisex Patrol Dress Overalls Cavalry (EA3) $299.99​

1698350846843.png

Forage Cap Army NCM $119.99​

1698350904339.png

Forage Cap Army Junior Officer $189.99​

1698350947317.png

Parade gloves (white) $5.99​

This is what is available on the CANEX website now. I didn't include the Sr Offr Forage Cap which costs $199.99.
I'm assuming that the Male jackets will cost the same as the female jackets.

Total cost NCM, less buttons, rank and other accessories : $1100 (tunic) + Overalls ($300) + forage cap ($120) + gloves ($6) = $1526 + $198.38 (tax) = $1724.38

Total cost Jr Offr, less buttons, rank, Sam Browne belt and other accessories : $1200 (tunic) + Overalls ($300) + forage cap ($190) + gloves ($6) = $1696 + $220.48 (tax) = $1916.48

For Reg F Offrs, I'm assuming that Mess Kit will be a must buy and this Patrol Dress, for the time being, will be nice to have, but it will become another must buy. It has a bit a while since I've bought mess kit so I'm guessing that it must be at least $2500-$3000 now. Given all the uniform buys, a Jr Offr probably will spend at least $4500-$5000 for just uniforms and not including accessories. Expensive for the limited amount of use that you would get out of the Patrol uniform, but it looks nice.

For Reg F NCMs, I'm assuming that this will remain a nice to have, except if you become a Command/Formation/Unit RSM/CWO.
The Reg F Army Band members will probably get Patrols.

Attachments

• 1698350671764.png
    1698350671764.png
    389.5 KB · Views: 0
Back