• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

From what I see on ACIMS... it's coming as well. Part of the Canadian Army Leather Refit project to replace all the godawful plastic whites for ceremonial.

Corps were asked to give returns to DLR WRT requirements colour wise for their OR, SNCOs , WOs, and Offrs based on Regimental/Corps tradition. Included in that were Sam Browne belts.
OK ... I assume officers and CWOs will be given a clothing allowance to allow them have service dress uniforms properly tailored - a Sam Browne worn on a poorly fitted/improperly tailored uniform looks sloppy. I also hope that all officers and CWOs will understand that it takes hours and bloody hours to properly polish a Sam Browne and that an unpolished belt looks sh!tty, as does the person wearing it.

OK ... I assume officers and CWOs will be given a clothing allowance to allow them have service dress uniforms properly tailored - a Sam Browne worn on a poorly fitted/improperly tailored uniform looks sloppy. I also hope that all officers and CWOs will understand that it takes hours and bloody hours to properly polish a Sam Browne and that an unpolished belt looks sh!tty, as does the person wearing it.
If an officer or CPO1/CWO looked like crap in our current ceremonial belt, they will still look like crap in a Sam Browne. Too many folks still suffer from Dunlap's Disease*.

(*that's when your belly done lapped over your belt.)

Overall it looks good and is a step in the right direction.

In the British Army, the Officers and the CWOs wear brown shoes and the others wears black ankle boots. Will they do that here?
Will the socks change to brown?
Will they change the sweater to brown?
Will they change the gloves to brown?
Will they change the backing of the insignia (i.e. jump wings) to brown?
Will the beret remain green, except for those Corps, Regts that have already changed colour?
Will it be the same overcoat design and fabric except the colour will be in brown?
Will the issued stable belt be in black and if you want Corps/Regt stable belts you buy it yourself?
What colour Sam Brown belts?
I'm kind of sad that we didn't use the opportunity to change from the forage caps to the Australian Slouch hats or the New Zealand Ranger (lemon sucker) hat. The Army did wear cowboys in the Boer War as justification for the change. Imagine if you belong in a Fusilier Regt, you'll also get to wear a fluffy feather with the Slouch or Ranger hat :D

Anyway the uniform wars are now officially on. As every Corps/Regt will want to add their own particular accent on the uniform.

I can see the RCN Officer's tunic eventually going to 8 buttons.
I can the RCN NCMs (PO and below) eventually going to square rig - adhere to what the public perception of what the Navy should look like.

I can't see anymore changes to the RCAF service uniform - they had their opportunity to change the colour to same as the RAF, but they change it when they create a Space Force.

When the RCN dreams...

Water Fix It GIF by Boomerang Official

I can't see anymore changes to the RCAF service uniform - they had their opportunity to change the colour to same as the RAF, but they change it when they create a Space Force.
Never underestimate the power of peer pressure.

As long as we don’t follow the US Space Force and have the Battlestar Galactica uniforms, I’m good.

Overall it looks good and is a step in the right direction.
Agreed
In the British Army, the Officers and the CWOs wear brown shoes and the others wears black ankle boots. Will they do that here?
Too soon to tell, but whatever the hell they procure, I hope it's actual leather vice whatever assorted, recycled couch "leather" crap they currently manufacture
Will the socks change to brown?
See above.
Will they change the sweater to brown?
Probably, mind you I would hope this is a good way to see the sweater die a miserable death. Most folks I see in Ottawa wear 3B year round in their climate controlled work pods in Ottawa. I hope we move to a No 1s, 3A/B, and Operational Drsss moving forward.
Will they change the gloves to brown?
WDepends on Regt/Corps affiliation. Rifle/Armd folks tend to like black, everyone else 🤷‍♂️
Will they change the backing of the insignia (i.e. jump wings) to brown?
Hard to tell from the prototype picture, but I hope so. The godawful gold colour would clash terribly with the brown. We should return to white herring bone as God intended. There are some things our Aussie cousins do that are just wrong. I said what I said.

Will the beret remain green, except for those Corps, Regts that have already changed colour?
Berets most likely will remain as they are (perhaps the RCMS/RCDC, RCLS, and RCE will finally be forced into line with the rest of us...) for 3B. I can see a "Tunic on, peak caps on" policy for almost everyone... The Armd and Airborne tend to get a pass for that kind of stuff.

Will it be the same overcoat design and fabric except the colour will be in brown?
Fuck I hope not. The gabardine is an afront to outerwear. If we are going to do this right, get a proper overcoat with insignia that doesn't look like something you mugged a flasher in the park for.

Will the issued stable belt be in black and if you want Corps/Regt stable belts you buy it yourself?
Good question. The former Army SM said "hard no" to Corps/Regt stable belts. New guy new rules. We'll see.

What colour Sam Brown belts?
Depends on what Corps/Regiment tradition you follow.

I'm kind of sad that we didn't use the opportunity to change from the forage caps to the Australian Slouch hats or the New Zealand Ranger (lemon sucker) hat. The Army did wear cowboys in the Boer War as justification for the change. Imagine if you belong in a Fusilier Regt, you'll also get to wear a fluffy feather with the Slouch or Ranger hat :D
Meh. Part of being Canadian is copying someone else's homework and passing it off as your own. The former Green DEU looked so much like the Army Service Dress of 1968 that I think Mr. Heyller was compensating for the lack of budget

Anyway the uniform wars are now officially on. As every Corps/Regt will want to add their own particular accent on the uniform.
No different than it has been since the mid 17th century when the Regimental system made it a necessity to differentiate from another unit or formation. The circle keeps spinning.

That's their call. If they can sell it, go for it.

I can the RCN NCMs (PO and below) eventually going to square rig - adhere to what the public perception of what the Navy should look like.
Your guess is as good as mine.

The RCAF has their ball caps. They've had enough radical change for this decade 😉

The godawful gold colour would clash terribly with the brown. We should return to white herring bone as God intended. There are some things our Aussie cousins do that are just wrong. I said what I said.
Zoe Lister-Jones Yes GIF by The Roku Channel

The RCAF has their ball caps. They've had enough radical change for this decade
For the number of times that the majority of RCAF folks wear DEU, I’m good with that.

Can we get the rifles with it? The one in the Sharpe series?

I mean those things look bad ass.

I hunt with a .50 cal in-line muzzleloader. Deadly accurate. Love that rifle.

I can see the 8 buttons, I can see some NCM rank insignia changes, but I don't see square rig anywhere in our future.

Never underestimate the power of peer pressure.

As long as we don’t follow the US Space Force and have the Battlestar Galactica uniforms, I’m good.
Such an awful uniform, should have gone with colour coded jumped suits.

I would respectfully suggest the Stetson a la the Boer War/pre-WW1!
😁

I can see the 8 buttons, I can see some NCM rank insignia changes, but I don't see square rig anywhere in our future.
I agree, I have never heard a Jr. sailor ask for square rig back. Apart from some hat concerns, I think most RCN folks are pretty happy with the current uniforms.

So here we are - a country that prides itself on being "Canadian" (because we modify equipment that doesn't need to be modified to "Canadianize" it) but we slavishly copy the British et al. Then when we do something original (DEU) we slag ourselves for it.

We are our own worst enemy.

The only people I can recall ever having seen advocating for the return of the square rig are retirees, and officers who wouldn't have to wear it anyways.
Sounds a lot like blue berets for Sigs, and we all know how that worked out...

Back