• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

To be fair, nothing says that Jr Ranks can't wear Mess Dress

Awkward Canadian GIF by CBC

Another factor not listed here is that the rifle green monstrosity is made of a weird, niche fabric blend that is becoming difficult to source from industry . This is the time to make changes - moneys had to be spent regardless.

As for the comment that ‘who cares what they look like’, I find this to be an inane attitude. Aesthetics matter a great deal. How the outside world sees you and how you see yourself affects attitudes and morale . We are a military force - we ought to look sharp and well turned out. Grooming allowances notwithstanding, we will all benefit from a well fitting, ceremonial military service dress made from comfortable fabrics that improves our appearance.

Another factor not listed here is that the rifle green monstrosity is made of a weird, niche fabric blend that is becoming difficult to source from industry . This is the time to make changes - moneys had to be spent regardless.

As for the comment that ‘who cares what they look like’, I find this to be an inane attitude. Aesthetics matter a great deal. How the outside world sees you and how you see yourself affects attitudes and morale . We are a military force - we ought to look sharp and well turned out. Grooming allowances notwithstanding, we will all benefit from a well fitting, ceremonial military service dress made from comfortable fabrics that improves our appearance.
It was mentioned near the beginning of the thread, which is of course a completely valid reason to make a change. As long as they don't go down the road of the pips and crowns change road of trying to say it would actually save money to justify it.

Pretty much every industry has a dress standard, even the "alternative ones". Show up in a 3 piece suit at a Skateboarding or Snowboarding shop and guess what your chances are of getting hired. And then there are the businessmen clones wandering the downtown in almost the exact same suit and haircut.
Also unlike the Service industry, the CAF does not hire on looks or chest size.

Pretty much every industry has a dress standard, even the "alternative ones". Show up in a 3 piece suit at a Skateboarding or Snowboarding shop and guess what your chances are of getting hired. And then there are the businessmen clones wandering the downtown in almost the exact same suit and haircut.
Also unlike the Service industry, the CAF does not hire on looks or chest size.
I think a lot of people forget that, or try to wish it away.

The CAF makes it simple by clearly stating what people need to wear, and look like. In the civilian world they leave it unspoken, but the standard still exists.

The Army didn't want pips and crowns and the RCN didn't clamour for the executive curl but looked what happened in the name of tradition.

When the Army gets its new khaki service uniform, people will start thinking now ... wait a minute, what about the RCAF and the RCN?

Tradition demands that the RCAF revert back to the same colour blue on their DEU as the RAF.

The RCN needs 8 buttons for its Officers, Square Rig for the PO2 and below, and traditional RCN rank insignia.

Wait a tick how about the Army revert back to its palms out salute? Walking sticks for the Officers? Handle bar moustaches for all male NCMs? Female hair styles just like in the 1950-60s for female NCMs? Plus all RCN NCMs should be encouraged to get a cross anchor tattoo on their forearm just liked in the old days.

Note, I wasn't in the CAF in the 1950s or 60s so I really don't know what it was like in the good old days.
How about black tops for the new Forage caps? Give us a proper Battle of The Atlantic look for winter uniforms. We'd switch back to white tops during summer. Now that the tops of the forage caps are replacable, it would be a really cheap change

I agree black forage caps for the RCN! The RN brought back the black forage caps too but only for submariners.

I remember seeing a Tan uniform worn by the RCN, prior to unification, at the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa. Now this is what the RCN needs, another uniform to look even more spiffy in. They had metal rank insignia on the collar tips. Of course they will need a Tan Forage Cap too. They will also need another duffle bag to fit all their new uniforms in. The Coxswains will love the increasing variety of uniforms to enforce dress and deportment.

Thank God I'm retired and I won't have to experience this.

I agree black forage caps for the RCN! The RN brought back the black forage caps too but only for submariners.

I remember seeing a Tan uniform worn by the RCN, prior to unification, at the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa. Now this is what the RCN needs, another uniform to look even more spiffy in. They had metal rank insignia on the collar tips. Of course they will need a Tan Forage Cap too. They will also need another duffle bag to fit all their new uniforms in. The Coxswains will love the increasing variety of uniforms to enforce dress and deportment.

Thank God I'm retired and I won't have to experience this.

I watched this movie last night. I thought it offered a great deal of insights into naval dress.

And I would be fully supportive of the Captain having access to a tailor on board, like the Commander of the Graf Spee ;)

Back