• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

You've never met a Stoker before. Some of the hardest working and most technically competent and dedicated folks, who also seem to take an organizational pride in looking scruffy and unkept. Love my engineers!
They take pride in being dirty because it means they are working. Its easy to keep clean when your doing nothing.

That being said as everyone is quick to go ‘1950s’ dress standards, they aren’t 1950s standards. They were military standards which civilians (i.e. WWII vets) adopted for civilian life because they were used to them.

As mentioned before every part of the ‘1950s’ standard had origins in combat. Short hair? Substantially easier to keep clean and maintained. Natural colours? Hair dye hadn’t really been invented yet but much better for cam and concealment than fluorescent pink. Short nails? So you can’t get them ripped off on any number of things. Clean shaven? CBRN/respirator requirements.

Where the CAF went wrong was using sexism to give women a different standard when they first allowed them to join. They should have made them conform to the existing standard and we likely wouldn’t be having this discussion today.

Sort of but not really.

For major projects, the funding did not lapse, it was instead reprofiled. So DND's CFO says "Hello, Dept of Finance and Treasury Board Secretariat, the project to buy XXX, approved for $400M, was scheduled to spend $50M this year, but only spent $20M for reasons X, Y and Z. Here is the new profile for that project's spending".

Except it's much more than just one project, and the reporting is both more complex and simpler. Finance and TBS review, give a thumbs up, and the money is moved to the years when DND says it's needed.

A-base funding is handled differently; a certain amount can be carried forward year to year because "things happen"; amounts beyond the carry forward limit will generally lapse.

So, it's accurate to say "DND underspent compared to plan by $X last year", but that does not mean "DND lost $X forever by not spending it last year."
You and your facts................. 😤

It was a different time, a different geo-strategic situation (Afghanistan mattered more than climate change), and above all a very different political situation. The relationship between Harper, Flaherty and Baird, at the centre, and O'Connor in DND was much different than the one that exists today between Trudeau, Freeland and Fortier and Anand.
And having the two stooges Singh and Vance (well a stooge and pepe le pew) likely didn't instill a lot of confidence at the PMO. Especially a PMO that at the time didn't give two shits about defence.

Except this is all to do with a SHORTAGE of the MATERIAL used to make the CA DEU pattern.

As much as I hate change parade, this is honestly some folks making a mountain out of a molehill.
Pepperridge farm remembers the disingenuous ways pips & crowns were argued and foisted upon the CA.

Ironically, I like the look of them just detest the then argument(s) for them. I suspect that I will similarly like the new DEU....

Pepperridge farm remembers the disingenuous ways pips & crowns were argued and foisted upon the CA.

Ironically, I like the look of them just detest the then argument(s) for them. I suspect that I will similarly like the new DEU....
The CAF in general hates 2 things: the Status Quo and Announced Changes to said Status Quo.

Give it 5 years and folks will be complaining about something else.

Since we're drifting on this topic, why do RCAF GOFO tunics have ranks on both shoulders and sleeves?

anna olson stir GIF by EATS

Also on the "get rid of"pile:
  • Short sleeve DEU shirts. Replace with a polo with ranks and maybe a nametag
  • Those awful sweaters. Replace with a better-fitting zippered cardigan
The idea of "office wear" has changed, and DEU 3 is supposed to be its equivalent. How many civilian folks wear short-sleeved dress shirts at work these days? When I see civilians wearing office clothes, it's generally a long-sleeved shirt (with or without tie), or if in a more relaxed environment, a polo.

But as some have pointed out, is the 1-2 times a year that most wear DEU 1 worth it? Drawing on a real-world example, the Israeli Defence Force doesn't actually issue tunics to most of their military.

Those wounds are fresh, friend. An exercise in "Great idea, piss poor execution."

*As an aside, I thought it was the right move to revert back. The C&E "Branch" as a community of practice makes sense; the combined badging and "strong corps within a Branch" concept is stupid.
Identity is important.

Good leadership to build group identity is critical.

"Fuck you, we didn't plan, so pay for something that should be issued at no cost as a way to build group identity." may not be an optimal CoA.

Looks sharp. Especially with the Sam Browne and white herring bone rank badges.
Yeah. I wasn't sure which colour-blind person thought dark green and gold went together.

Make the new ranks silver/gray. Or whatever the various regiments do anyway.

Since we're drifting on this topic, why do RCAF GOFO tunics have ranks on both shoulders and sleeves?
And why did the Army put on the gold band on the sleeves and the pips and crowns on the shoulders.

And why did the Army put on the gold band on the sleeves and the pips and crowns on the shoulders.
The CA GOFO band doesn't correspond to the rank though - it's one thick band regardless of rank.

The RCAF sleeve rank is like the RCN one, so it's doubled with the shoulders, which is silly.

So possibly expect something like this? ...But with long, purple hair and beard?
I quite like the look of the NZ service dress. One comment only - Kiwi gunners don't wear a white lanyard. That really needs to make a come-back.

🍻

Aussie version:

new-uniform-800x444.jpg
Also good. It's the belts that make the difference. One of my big disappointments as a young officer cadet transitioning from TW to greens on commissioning is that I'd never get a Sam Browne. Other disappointments would follow.

Our lanyard for ORs was braided, looked like this and could actually be used as a lanyard on the gun:

royal_artillery_white_lanyard_rd250px.png

🍻

Back