• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

The Rangers only have the one uniform.

I was on National Sentry Program last year and there were several Rangers with us. A rumour that we heard was that a Ranger ceremonial uniform is in the works.

There were also quite a few disappointed comments from civilians about the Ranger uniform.

Here the thing it's is their uniform. I bet you will see more of it in the future. And in a way I suspect they are proud to wear it and it has meaning.

But here's the rub. They have meetings and business in buildings. They are the only ones wearing a hoodie which is still a very dress down piece of kit. Does that have baring on the person and others perceptions of them. In a prefect world no....

Also as I have said before up in the thread todays work or combat uniform is tomorrow's formal dress.

You can get a $300.00 Canadian dress hoodie now. Drakes ovo brand

Or Adolf's favorite brand Hugo Boss

Or this VL red number at $4,860.00

Someone decided it was the appropriate order of dress for the guard at thew Tomb of the Unknown Soldier which suggests, to me, that our current DEUs - shirt and tie, "business suit," and the 175 year old scarlet ceremonial uniforms - battle dress at Balaclava and Rourke's Drift - that some regiments still wear are redundant. The sooner everyone wears cargo pants, golf-shirts, hoodies and balls tops the better. Neckties (and ascots) are an abomination.
heretics GIF

The Rangers only have the one uniform.

I was on National Sentry Program last year and there were several Rangers with us. A rumour that we heard was that a Ranger ceremonial uniform is in the works.

There were also quite a few disappointed comments from civilians about the Ranger uniform.
I have no problem with the Rangers' uniform - including when they wear red T-shirts rather than hoodies on hot days; my problem is with most of the rest of the CF's unnecessary uniforms ... the ones with jackets and ties, especially.

I have no problem with soldiers wearing fancy, 19th century uniforms, either - so long as they are paid for without using taxpayer' dollars. I, personally, paid a sh!t load of money for uncomfortable, old-fashioned "dress" uniforms - as did every other officer and senior NCO of my generation. When "we" (whoever "we" were) wanted soldiers to be dressed in 19th century uniforms I chipped in as "requested" by the adjutant - no problem. But we shouldn't waste scarce defence dollars that are needed for bullets and beans on jackets and ties.

Oh, as an addendum, the ball caps have to brightly coloured and multi-coloured - like the old field service caps which I guess we will not need.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 19.27.01.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 19.27.01.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
I have no problem with the Rangers' uniform - including when they wear red T-shirts rather than hoodies on hot days; my problem is with most of the rest of the CF's unnecessary uniforms ... the ones with jackets and ties, especially.

I have no problem with soldiers wearing fancy, 19th century uniforms, either - so long as they are paid for without using taxpayer' dollars. I, personally, paid a sh!t load of money for uncomfortable, old-fashioned "dress" uniforms - as did every other officer and senior NCO of my generation. When "we" (whoever "we" were) wanted soldiers to be dressed in 19th century uniforms I chipped in as "requested" by the adjutant - no problem. But we shouldn't waste scarce defence dollars that are needed for bullets and beans on jackets and ties.

Just to be poking the bear. In most professions the place you work has a dress code and you are to follow it out of your own pocket. If you are going to customer meeting you dress in a tie and jacket that you paid for yourself. If say you are working the plant sometimes the work coveralls or shirts are provided. Yes standards are lose....the rule of thumb is if your workd clothes are provided the closer they get to standard uniform. Ex Ford provides supervisors a half jacket and sometimes a shirt. Toyota supplies everything to the supervisors to look more uniform and or dept. color coding. Plus in some org like a Toyota a uniform provides for a "flatten" of the organization. Manager, engineers, supervisors and team leader look the same and their input may have the same or more weight to it.

It has always stuck me the wrong way the complaining about company dress when it's provided at no cost to the team member. The bitching! Lol...you got for it for free, you don't pay taxes on it and you are in a sense paid tk wear it

Which brings me to my next rant....

About dress

So CAF had a recruitment problem. Here is my little beef. The Daughter unit is in 12 going to prom with the boyfriend. He is in a Kilted unit. He will have it the full kit by the date of the event. But nope not allowed to wear it. What a better CAF market opportunity is that? The graduating class prom with a boy (crap a man now) in a kilt and full kit going. Every other kid there would see that and be envious. That's what has worked for hundreds of years....but nope spend millions on dumb ads trying to hook young people that will never see them or appeal to them.

Only bright side is the daughter is happy not to be upstaged. Lol

Which brings me to my next rant....

About dress

So CAF had a recruitment problem. Here is my little beef. The Daughter unit is in 12 going to prom with the boyfriend. He is in a Kilted unit. He will have it the full kit by the date of the event. But nope not allowed to wear it. What a better CAF market opportunity is that? The graduating class prom with a boy (crap a man now) in a kilt and full kit going. Every other kid there would see that and be envious. That's what has worked for hundreds of years....but nope spend millions on dumb ads trying to hook young people that will never see them or appeal to them.

Only bright side is the daughter is happy not to be upstaged. Lol

That's unfortunate, and silly. I wonder if an appeal to the CO might help?

Someone decided it was the appropriate order of dress for the guard at thew Tomb of the Unknown Soldier which suggests, to me, that our current DEUs - shirt and tie, "business suit," and the 175 year old scarlet ceremonial uniforms - battle dress at Balaclava and Rourke's Drift - that some regiments still wear are redundant. The sooner everyone wears cargo pants, golf-shirts, hoodies and balls tops the better. Neckties (and ascots) are an abomination.

I used to be impressed by the efficiency of uniforms in what was probably the least "stylish" of any military, the IDF. Well, maybe the lack of dress uniforms was a style all its own. From a conscripted טוראי (Turai - Private) to רב-אלוף (Rav aluf - LGen), they all dressed the same and simply. Shirt, trousers (usually olive green if army), combat boots and a beret were it year round; no ties or spit shined shoes. If participating in a ceremony (I don't think they do a lot of parades in the sense that we understand) or otherwise not in the field, the uniforms may be of a "better" fabric with some badges and emblems displayed but there wasn't a lot of difference from what they wore in battle.

But peacockery (not much, but enough to be noticeable) has even infected the Israelis. They used to have a "dress uniform" that was only worn by senior officers attending ceremonies in foreign countries. It was a business suit that they stuck epaulettes on for rank insignia; it was not very flattering. However even that limited use changed several years ago.

Generals get a makeover with new dress uniforms
High-ranking officers to wear ceremonial duds at national ceremonies, not just while abroad

Eagle-eyed watchers of Israel’s national ceremonies may have noticed a slight change over the past month: IDF generals have started to look… stylish?

Under IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Gadi Eisenkot, high-ranking officers will now don formal dress uniforms, which were previously worn only in ceremonies outside of the country.

“During commemorative events such as memorial ceremonies many armies throughout the world require senior officials to wear dress uniforms,” the IDF told The Times of Israel about the change.

“This year, it was decided that every senior officer from the rank of brigadier general and above will wear dress uniforms at official national events,” the army said.

These formal duds have already been worn by generals at this year’s national Holocaust Remembrance Day, Memorial Day and Independence Day ceremonies, as well as during the official send-off for former defense minister Moshe Ya’alon earlier this week.

They will presumably make their next appearance sometime this upcoming week, during the welcoming ceremony for presumptive defense minister Avigdor Liberman.

“The goal of this decision was to honor the fallen and to respect the status of these national events where senior IDF officers participate,” the army said.

The ceremonial uniforms, known in Hebrew as Madei Srad, consist of a suit, white shirt and tie. They come in three different styles for IDF’s three branches — ground forces, air force and navy.

Generals from the ground forces wear a dark green single-breasted, three-button suit with a matching tie. Senior air force officers wear a dark blue suit of the same style. Naval officers, however, wear a double-breasted six-button suit, with yellow ranks on their sleeves.

IDF uniforms for enlisted soldiers come in two main styles — rayon dress uniforms, known in Hebrew as Madei Aleph, and cotton work uniforms, known as Madei Bet. Soldiers in the navy also have a separate all-white uniform for certain ceremonies.

Some specific units also have their own dedicated uniforms. Pilots have customized flight suits, air force mechanics and soldiers in tank brigades have special jumpsuits and soldiers serving in some northern units have a full-body coverall, known as a Hermonit after the mountain in the Golan Heights.

Officers ranked captain and above, along with non-commissioned officers ranked sergeant first class and higher, have a different type of dress uniform, with dark slacks (or skirts for religious women) and a light-colored shirt, which was introduced in the summer of 2001.

Up until this year, during official ceremonies inside Israel, IDF generals would wear these uniforms, often looking decidedly frumpy and non-uniform, with shirts coming untucked and pants belted above or below their waists.

These dress uniforms are designed to put IDF generals on par with their counterparts from other militaries.

But while the few dozen brigadier, major and lieutenant generals in the IDF will likely appreciate that, as soaring temperatures approach, your average soldier would probably rather go back to the early days of the IDF when there were still summer uniforms, with short cotton pants and a short-sleeved shirt.

If even the Israelis can't avoid uniform creep, what chance is there for an branch in a military that celebrates much of its heritage by the clothes it wears.

I used to be impressed by the efficiency of uniforms in what was probably the least "stylish" of any military, the IDF. Well, maybe the lack of dress uniforms was a style all its own. From a conscripted טוראי (Turai - Private) to רב-אלוף (Rav aluf - LGen), they all dressed the same and simply. Shirt, trousers (usually olive green if army), combat boots and a beret were it year round; no ties or spit shined shoes. If participating in a ceremony (I don't think they do a lot of parades in the sense that we understand) or otherwise not in the field, the uniforms may be of a "better" fabric with some badges and emblems displayed but there wasn't a lot of difference from what they wore in battle.

But peacockery (not much, but enough to be noticeable) has even infected the Israelis. They used to have a "dress uniform" that was only worn by senior officers attending ceremonies in foreign countries. It was a business suit that they stuck epaulettes on for rank insignia; it was not very flattering. However even that limited use changed several years ago.

If even the Israelis can't avoid uniform creep, what chance is there for an branch in a military that celebrates much of its heritage by the clothes it wears.
its interesting the IDF always have their berets with them in garrison unform, but almost never mounted upon their crania........always tucked under the shoulder strap on their slightly dressier garrison shirt.......shows the colours without wearing a wool hat in the blazing heat...

As an aside, the CA will be allowing Peaked Caps for their members soon-ish.

This isn't really a surprise - it was mentioned in RCafe but I think there was some sort of message about it - but unsurprisingly, someone in the RCAF (not me) has asked about the steps to re-introduce it to the RCAF.

This isn't really a surprise - it was mentioned in RCafe but I think there was some sort of message about it - but unsurprisingly, someone in the RCAF (not me) has asked about the steps to re-introduce it to the RCAF.
the ugliest, most uncomfortable lid ive been issued.......thank god only for parades in my police agency......now doing the ballcap thing.

I would really like to know the reason why he's not allowed.
My initial thought based on just the info provided is he's not graduated either BMQ or DP1. Many moons ago I was not authorized to draw DEU as a reservist until I had completed QL3.

Only if they look like this:

cap_arthur.jpg
cap_mossing.jpg
cap_westbrook.jpg
skynews-das-boot_4143909.jpg
milnerinset1.jpg

Check out the Stokers - Impressive!

Back