• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Upcoming Changes to the Dress Manual

Hmn...this is going to make identifying Walts that much harder.... ;D

OldTanker said:
Well, this old retiree doesn't see anything wrong with this. I'm not sure a goatee or earrings, on any gender, will affect operational efficiencies.  :2c:

My first encounter was in Hohne. The Dutch went by our cents with their leopards. I saw a red headed viking crew commander well out of his hatch. His beard must have been a foot over his shoulder and his hair was streaming out from his beret like superman's cape.

mariomike said:
I understand operational efficiencies are important. Opinions on personal appearance may vary among current and former members.

But, what importance - if any - is the personal appearance of CAF members to the public?

Reason I ask is, it is the public who encourage their political representatives to vote on strong pay and benefit packages. 

Studies I have read indicate that personal appearance of uniformed services - not just operational efficiency - is important to  taxpayers.

This strikes me as a valid concern. We need to balance free expression against public perception. In Canada and North America the public se the military as "clean cut" so wild neck beards and long unkempt locks are a bit extreme, but a clean beard and neat ponytail/bun seems reasonable. Piercings that don't have a safety impact are also an easy sell, it's time to move out of the 50s for dress regs.

recceguy said:
Gender obliteration is a federal government intiative. Men can have long hair and earrings, women can have beards and moustaches.
So, gender neutral dress regs and DEU skirts are an option for all.

mariomike said:
I understand operational efficiencies are important. Opinions on personal appearance may vary among current and former members.

But, what importance - if any - is the personal appearance of CAF members to the public?

Reason I ask is, it is the public who encourage their political representatives to vote on strong pay and benefit packages. 

Studies I have read indicate that personal appearance of uniformed services - not just operational efficiency - is important to  taxpayers.

Many CAF members are visibly obese and look very un-soldierly in uniform. The CAF and the public seem to accept that.

Military fashion is constantly evolving, as are our grooming standards. They weren't passed down from on high and in force since time immemorial.

Note General Otter, a former CO 2RCR and CGS. His sideburns are tremendous and his moustache certainly extends past the corners of his mouth. So clearly at least our sideburns and moustache policies are rather recent inventions.

otter2.jpg

And check out MGen Smyth, the first Commander of the Canadian Militia, he certainly seemed to have no problem with facial hair.

Edward_Selby_Smyth.jpg

I am of the opinion that relaxing of grooming standards is not the end of the world. We spend too much time and energy enforcing arbitrary hair rules on males that we do not also enforce on females (to pick one example).

I am ok with this.

SeaKingTacco said:
I am of the opinion that relaxing of grooming standards is not the end of the world. We spend too much time and energy enforcing arbitrary hair rules on males that we do not also enforce on females (to pick one example).

I am ok with this.

Me too.

I’m not too fussed about this but I’m retired so I really don’t have a say.

Hamish Seggie said:
I’m not too fussed about this but I’m retired so I really don’t have a say.

Meanwhile, Canadians seem to have a say about the RCMP:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rcmp-man-bun-tattoo-survey-1.4612725

I am going to have a crazy set of mutton chops, when all of this come to pass....

*** Oh won't someone think of the children barbers! ***
These changes will put two thirds of them out of business. Though hairdressers might see a slight bump in business.  :rofl:  [/sarcasm]

The CAF appears to bend to local economic demands, when businesses protest potential changes.

That is a good point.

I had not considered the impending jobless rate amongst base barbers...

:boring:

< yawn >

I joined an army, over a half century ago, that allowed quite long hair ...

1024px-The_Beatles_in_America.JPG

... it was the fashion and only cleanliness and comfort made us deviate from style, usually in the field.

1385370_10152112165777612_469196889_n.jpg

Some people liked "short back and sides" even then, others preferred to look a little more like the rest of society ... obviously, during recruit training and e.g. junior NCO course some people wanted to go to ridiculous extremes but my recollection says that most of us wanted to be neat, tidy and as stylish as good taste allowed.

I think we need to move with the times ... common sense will, usually, prevail, especially at sea and in the field.

So if beards and long hair are allowed I guess the cool/special look factor and perk of some will fade like pioneers.

kratz said:
*** Oh won't someone think of the children barbers! ***
These changes will put two thirds of them out of business.
Perhaps it's the opposite situation.  The boatloads of undocumented barbers washing up on our shores (without even 5-6 years of university-level Scissor-ology!) is what's driving this change;  the market simply doesn't have enough qualified clippers to handle the CAF's bi-weekly stylin'  (monthly for RCAF)
              :pop:

PPCLI Guy said:
The same people (or their ilk) who thought that the world would end as a result of a host of things, including: unification, women serving on ships and in the combat arms, homosexuals serving in the military at all etc, and also thought that drinking during the day, strippers in the mess at lunch, driving home drunk, hazing, and abusive leadership were all good things.

Just saying.

Buttons, bows, balding, beards, whatever.  If it helps the recruiting numbers, makes the jobs we offer more appealing to the current generation, and doesn't impact the professionalism or the operational outcomes, who cares? 

Remember the pictures of the troops with the mohawks getting on the C-47s to rain lawn darts of death across Normandy in 1944? 

We need troops in the doors, and the naysayers or 'autonegators' will always be there.  Wifi and goatees....*shrug*  maybe it'll work?

<sotto voce>

And what's this about strippers?

</sotto voce>

I doubt anything will come to light in regards to beards by the summer time frame. I say this based on the attached copy of the minutes of the CF Dress Committee meeting from 30 Nov 17 that I got earlier this month.

Points of interest :
Para 5 - Ceremonial Belts and Accoutrements
Para 6 – Tattoo Policy
Para 7 – Turban Policy
Para 12 – Muslim Headdress
Para 13 – Beard Policy
Para 18 – Sash
Para 19 – Wearing Commendation for Female Personal
Para 22 – Colour Carrying Belt
Para 24 – HCol Wearing Command Badge
Para 25 – Long Sleeve Shirts
Para 27 – Poppy Location in 3A (Long sleeve shirt and tie no over garment)
Para 28 – Poppy Location for women

Several other topics are include in the document.

Attachments

• NDCDC Minutes 30 Nov 17- English.pdf
    194.1 KB · Views: 383
Where did you find that? My DWAN bookmark for those minutes hasn't been updated since 2016's meetings.

Back