• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Upcoming Changes to the Dress Manual

FSTO said:
Take the plastic tube out, it fits much better and it gives your hat a bit of a more salty flair.
I've done this since my first day wearing it in Chilliwack and never have had a problem.

I got a replacement peak cap with a note in the box that said 'REMOVE THE PLASTIC SHIPPING RING BEFORE WEARING'.  Did that a decade ago and it's been great since, as it's actually pretty comfortable with that ring out.  I keep it for reinforcing it if I throw it in my suitcase, but if I do have to wear it, floppy is the way to go. Not sure why people insist you are supposed to keep it in; literally just there to keep the peak cap from getting crushed while shipping.

In any case, the peak cap/beret thing with officers is a strange upstairs/downstairs thing I can't quite get behind, but a bit off topic.  Other than sporting a beret/goatee/parade boot in NDHQ combo might result in some promotions from a 'sickly season' when people stroke out about something that doesn't really matter.

Ta da!

It is, pretty clearly, time to bring back the (1939) Field Service Cap ...

Coloured%20FS%20Caps.jpg

We've been too focused on getting things back to 1965 ... we need to go a bit father in reverse ...

rcr_cfsc_rd700px.jpg

I read, somewhere, that it was unpopular with the troops which seems to me to mean that it will fit right into our post-Afghanistan, American model army.

Of course we should then make sure that the RCAF is not allowed to wear its version of it ...
You're welcome ...

E.R. Campbell said:
Ta da!

Coloured%20FS%20Caps.jpg

We've been too focused on getting things back to 1965 ... we need to go a bit father in reverse ...

rcr_cfsc_rd700px.jpg

I read, somewhere, that it was unpopular with the troops which seems to me to mean that it will fit right into our post-Afghanistan, American model army.

Of course we should then make sure that the RCAF is not allowed to wear its version of it ...
You're welcome ...

Back into the display case you go Mr. Campbell... ;D :rofl:

Pusser said:
It is nevertheless, an abomination.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should...

I'm sure all the army officers who aren't 'superior' enough for the bus driver hat appreciate that thought.  8)

Eye In The Sky said:
I'm sure all the army officers who aren't 'superior' enough for the bus driver hat appreciate that thought.  8)

Since the army uniform does not include shoulder boards then by all means carry on with the girl guide cap!  ;D

E.R. Campbell said:

aka
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_cap#Synonyms_and_slang_terms

jollyjacktar said:
The peak cap, is in my opinion a medieval torture device, no doubt designed by Tomás de Torquemada.  How someone could enjoy wearing a hat that was apparently designed to fit on a telephone pole, being circular and not shaped to the human head is beyond me.  Bloody thing gives me a ******* headache within a very short time.

There is no doubt that the current issue peak cap is poorly designed.  Whomever thought a plastic hat was a good idea should be stuffed in a plastic bag and left to stew.  However, a new one is on the way with a cloth cover and shaped for human heads.

Pusser said:
There is no doubt that the current issue peak cap is poorly designed.  Whomever thought a plastic hat was a good idea should be stuffed in a plastic bag and left to stew.  However, a new one is on the way with a cloth cover and shaped for human heads.

I thought this was scrapped and we were staying with the current issue ?  I could be wrong...

Halifax Tar said:
I thought this was scrapped and we were staying with the current issue ?  I could be wrong...

In speaking with the project manager (who's on my floor), it's still a go with hope that production will start within the coming months.  Apparently, the think that's slowing it down is sourcing the manufacture of the oak leaves - they're having trouble finding someone who can make them crappily enough.

Pusser said:
In speaking with the project manager (who's on my floor), it's still a go with hope that production will start within the coming months.  Apparently, the think that's slowing it down is sourcing the manufacture of the oak leaves - they're having trouble finding someone who can make them crappily enough.

We do have standards to uphold.

Pusser said:

Did you hear any plan about the issuing?  I'm assuming it'll be phased in as you get a replacement, but the last one I ordered took about 7 months to show up, and figured it'd be good to have a spare.

The good thing about them being plastic is they are great in the rain; never remember an umbrella so they are handy for that.  Paired with the new gore tex 'rain coat' (that comes with 'black rain pants' in snow pants weight) mostly set for walking around in the crappy freezing sleet.

Pusser said:

Thank for the info! 

E.R. Campbell said:
Ta da!

Coloured%20FS%20Caps.jpg

rcr_cfsc_rd700px.jpg

You're welcome ...

Our very own "Hillier Youth" still wear them  ;D

You guys need to get on the "funny hats" bandwagon ... someone is going to get a stratospheric "leading change" score on his PER for suggesting this.

And think of the good you will do ...

Processing this will keep hundreds of senior staff officers occupied and, therefore, out of the way of 327 officers who are busy doing real staff work
    in all of our several and sundry bloated HQs; and

This will keep dozens, maybe scores of Army CWOs out of trouble while they ponder the colour schemes and order of seniority and, and, and.

It's brilliant, I tell ya ...

colouredfieldservicecap_zps6372fedf.jpg

E.R. is that an Eaton's Catalogue of Wedges?!

RMC Cadets have two types of wedges for different uniforms as well as the pillbox and an Astrakhan for Winter Wear.

The Astrakhan seems to have fallen out of favour with the present generation of Cadets for some reason?  I have no idea why, it made a great pillow for those times you were in class and didn't feel being there.

I have no idea how you came up with 327 officers doing real work, but that number is wildly unfair.

It's over by a couple orders of magnitude, at least.

dapaterson said:
I have no idea how you came up with 327 officers doing real work, but that number is wildly unfair.

It's over by a couple orders of magnitude, at least.
Perhaps you're thinking that your  HQ is the only one being considered? 

Most HQs apparently think that way....if 1/3 - 2/3 means anything in terms of staff time appreciations.  :whistle:

Back