• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unveiling of New CANSOFCOM Dress Uniform

Eye In The Sky said:
I'm pretty sure that he is wearing the JTF2 badge under his CinC Unit Commendation.

I know technically he is qualified, but my statement was really questioning how often he works as an operator, if he's going to wear the uniform does he even train with his teams at DHTC?

Jon

Old EO Tech said:
I know technically he is qualified, but my statement was really questioning how often he works as an operator, if he's going to wear the uniform does he even train with his teams at DHTC?

Jon

No relevance. 

The Comd 1 Cdn Air Div doesn't pilot helicopters much anymore, yet he still wears his Wings he earned, his flight suit is his operational dress.  Sitting in Wpg in the Big Glass Building is far removed from life in 1 Wing and the crews getting ready to go to Mali. 

If I stopped flying tomorrow and never saw the inside of a plane that didn't say WestJet on the side, I'd still (IAW policy) wear my Wings (which fall under the skill/qualification category).  How many people do the Jump course, wear cherry wings until CRA/retirement?

Eye In The Sky said:
No relevance. 

The Comd 1 Cdn Air Div doesn't pilot helicopters much anymore, yet he still wears his Wings he earned, his flight suit is his operational dress.  Sitting in Wpg in the Big Glass Building is far removed from life in 1 Wing and the crews getting ready to go to Mali. 

If I stopped flying tomorrow and never saw the inside of a plane that didn't say WestJet on the side, I'd still (IAW policy) wear my Wings (which fall under the skill/qualification category).  How many people do the Jump course, wear cherry wings until CRA/retirement?

Well this is a bit of a tangent, but I wear my jump wings too....but I would jump out of a serviceable aircraft tomorrow if needed.  My point is a little relevant, as supporters are not wearing the uniform because they are not being employed the same as operators, my argument is that neither is the Comd SOFCOM....

But this is the last I will bother with this tangent :-/

Jon

Old EO Tech said:
Well this is a bit of a tangent, but I wear my jump wings too....but I would jump out of a serviceable aircraft tomorrow if needed.... 

...you mean jump only after re-gaining currency, of course - right?

Are you implying that if General Rouleau is no longer going to stack up in a stick going through the door, he should no longer wear the 'dinner plate'?

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
...you mean jump only after re-gaining currency, of course - right?

Are you implying that if General Rouleau is no longer going to stack up in a stick going through the door, he should no longer wear the 'dinner plate'?

Regards
G2G

I'm sure that someone at 3VP would be glad to yell at me for a morning and then kick me out the door in the afternoon :p  I'm more questioning the logic of not having supporters dress in the new uniform, when the Comd who is not any more active in Ops than they are is.... out

Jon

Old EO Tech said:
I'm sure that someone at 3VP would be glad to yell at me for a morning and then kick me out the door in the afternoon :p  I'm more questioning the logic of not having supporters dress in the new uniform, when the Comd who is not any more active in Ops than they are is.... out

Jon

Or the new Comd who was never an SF Operator but is wearing the uniform.  I like that SOF has a new uniform but our "who wears what" makes zero sense.

I also noted that the SF Ops were wearing the new CSOR Cap Badge along with the Major, I thought Officers still belonged to their respective Regiments?

Old EO Tech said:

Jon

...and the CCWO?  So neither CWO Legault should have, nor CWO Bonvie should in the future wear the dress, even though they are both qualified S-1? 

At what rank does should the assaulter/operator-qualified member stop wearing the CANSOF DEU while still in the Command?

G2G

Good2Golf said:
...and the CCWO?  So neither CWO Legault should have, nor CWO Bonvie should in the future wear the dress, even though they are both qualified S-1? 

At what rank does should the assaulter/operator-qualified member stop wearing the CANSOF DEU while still in the Command?

G2G

My point was more to support that there should not be 4 DEU in SOF but one, Supporters contributions to SOF are just as important as the Operators, IMHO.  And theoretically what happens with the Comd or Comd CWO are not Operators? Or are we going to dictate that only Operators can be part of the SOF Comd team?

Food for thought...

Jon

Old EO Tech said:
My point was more to support that there should not be 4 DEU in SOF but one, Supporters contributions to SOF are just as important as the Operators, IMHO.  And theoretically what happens with the Comd or Comd CWO are not Operators? Or are we going to dictate that only Operators can be part of the SOF Comd team?

Food for thought...

Jon

What about re-uniforming supporters with Army or Navy DEU at an RCAF unit, for example?  After all, and you may recognize these words, "Supporters contributions to [the RCAF] are just as important as the operators..."

Some more food for thought...

G2G

Old EO Tech said:

Food for thought...

Jon

If SOF is supposedly an element, then yes, they should all wear the DEU while part of said element. 

Note the new CANSOF Comd is wearing the SOF DEU and he is not a qualified SF Op or Assaulter. 

I like the new SOF uniform but the CAF really needs to get this uniform stuff under control.  That parade looks ridiculous with the rainbow of colours.

Good2Golf said:
What about re-uniforming supporters with Army or Navy DEU at an RCAF unit, for example?  After all, and you may recognize these words, "Supporters contributions to [the RCAF] are just as important as the operators..."

G2G

I like that idea, one step closer to de-unification.

Good2Golf said:

G2G

We did at one point in history have RCAF uniformed vehicle mechanics, but when the RCEME Corps became CA managed that stopped.  We do give people unit berets in the CA, maroon and black etc.  The difference I would say is SOF invented a new DEU and consciously made a decision to not apply it to Supporters, the RCAF and RCN inherited a mixed DEU situation, even in CA units we have Log guys off all uniforms.  SOF could have decided to to not inherit the situation the rest of us have.....and didn't.

Jon

Or would their priority have been SF Ops and CBRN Ops who have completed an actual VOT but still had to wear the DEU of their former Regimental/Element affiliation? Assaulter is an odd bit because they're only a managed specialty, but I've never seen someone back doing their old trade after having spent time as an assaulter, so they likely got lumped in as well.

PuckChaser said:
Or would their priority have been SF Ops and CBRN Ops who have completed an actual VOT but still had to wear the DEU of their former Regimental/Element affiliation? Assaulter is an odd bit because they're only a managed specialty, but I've never seen someone back doing their old trade after having spent time as an assaulter, so they likely got lumped in as well.

I know at least one assaulter who got back to his original occupation.

SupersonicMax said:
I know at least one assaulter who got back to his original occupation.

Although he had a momentary return to the fun when I dropped by flatland and let him relive his time as a slider out the side of my 146.  ;D

Old EO Tech said:
We did at one point in history have RCAF uniformed vehicle mechanics, but when the RCEME Corps became CA managed that stopped.  We do give people unit berets in the CA, maroon and black etc...

Ah, I get it...beret colour makes it all okay - supporters fell appreciated no matter the DEU colour...except for tan berets, that is.  ::)

Yet more food for thought...

G2G

Does anyone have pictures of the hat badge and collar dogs the rank and file wear with the new DEU?

http://reg.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/project-pic.asp?lang=e&ProjectID=2939&ProjectElementID=10334

Attachments

• 13F68B73-83F5-4136-8968-2316C7886B7E.jpeg
    13F68B73-83F5-4136-8968-2316C7886B7E.jpeg
    537.1 KB · Views: 1,705
Another close up

Attachments

• 520AF868-3DDC-4167-AC2B-B44A33E063FE.jpeg
    520AF868-3DDC-4167-AC2B-B44A33E063FE.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 4,878
Pickle Rick said:
http://reg.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/project-pic.asp?lang=e&ProjectID=2939&ProjectElementID=10334

Now that is nice.

One quick question (and apologies for starting up this chat again):  Will officers entitled to wear the CANSOFCOM DEU that came from RCAF or RCN be allowed to wear their old environmental rank insignia (pearl-grey for RCAF, black-trimmed-gold stripes with Elliot's Eye for RCN officers) or is it all the same as the Army rank insignia?

Fred Herriot said:
One quick question (and apologies for starting up this chat again):  Will officers entitled to wear the CANSOFCOM DEU that came from RCAF or RCN be allowed to wear their old environmental rank insignia (pearl-grey for RCAF, black-trimmed-gold stripes with Elliot's Eye for RCN officers) or is it all the same as the Army rank insignia?

Why would they wear non-CANSOF accouterments on a CANSOF DEU? Seems to me the whole reason why they got a new DEU was because they had Operators/Assaulters/CBRN dudes from the RCN/RCAF/CA wearing Regimental/Environmental accouterments/trade badges for environments they'd never go back to.

Back