• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unveiling of New CANSOFCOM Dress Uniform

Good2Golf said:
MR has always rocked awesome 'chops'! :nod:

G2G

And I love it!  Reminds me of an 80s action movie star!

2cc57cba94da244575a2e015da8512e1.jpg

I want his next speech to open with "M Bison!  I'm here to kick your ass!"

Haggis said:
There are a few GO that frequent these forums.  Others may simply have an EA who occasionally yells out "Hey, sir, you gotta come read this!"

A job that *requires* reading this site for work?  Put me in, Coach!  :nod:

Check out this link for a recent COC in SOF.

https://www.facebook.com/CanadianForces/posts/2262462373980952

The last pick is the RSMs.  They look sharp.  I like the short sleeve khaki look with bloused boots.

Halifax Tar said:
Check out this link for a recent COC in SOF.

https://www.facebook.com/CanadianForces/posts/2262462373980952

The last pick is the RSMs.  They look sharp.  I like the short sleeve khaki look with bloused boots.

I see that Maj-Gen Rouleau is now coming to CJOC. Does he still get to wear his fancy SOF uniform there or go back to the CADPAT since they are "Operational" at CJOC. :rofl:

Are those Corcoran jump boots?  https://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com/Item.asp?Style=1500&CategoryID=28&Gender=M

If so...those were likely purchased without any ITBs:panic:

Eye In The Sky said:
Are those Corcoran jump boots?  https://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com/Item.asp?Style=1500&CategoryID=28&Gender=M

If so...those were likely purchased without any ITBs:panic:

Which are awesome, as long as you don't need to walk anywhere except to the bar after a jump.

Is it just me, or does the wide gold stripe at the bottom of the GO uniforms look totally out of place, even goofy, on the CANSOFCOM DEU?

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Is it just me, or does the wide gold stripe at the bottom of the GO uniforms look totally out of place, even goofy, on the CANSOFCOM DEU?

If you're going to ape the customs of our American cousins, you may as well go whole hog! ;)

It's just that gold on dark green or black works. The Air Force has its even goofier system of both stripes and shoulder boards - but at least in greyish-blue it works with their light blue. But gold and kaki ??? I would have though black or a different shade of lighter brown would work better.

Damn, all those decoration shows my wife forces on me are starting to addle my brain: I look for colour coordination.  :eek: ;D

I have difficulty understanding how a SOF MGen retains a distinctive SOF environmental uniform since all Colonels and above become subject to the Col/GOFO cap badge and lose their Regimental affiliation and merely retain their environmental uniform.  I was equally puzzled by the Honour Guard photo of the General's Salute for MND, why is there a SOF officer with Army DEU and why are there Air Force Guys in the Guard?  Couldn't SOFCOM provide sufficient soldiers to fill the ranks? 

It would seem to me if you are wearing the tan brown beret you should be in the SOF uniform. If you are a support trade serving in SOF units do keep your DEU because only assault course-qualified people get to wear tan beret and brown uniform.  It seems very confusing (or all made up) to me!

Simian Turner said:
I have difficulty understanding how a SOF MGen retains a distinctive SOF environmental uniform since all Colonels and above become subject to the Col/GOFO cap badge and lose their Regimental affiliation and merely retain their environmental uniform.  I was equally puzzled by the Honour Guard photo of the General's Salute for MND, why is there a SOF officer with Army DEU and why are there Air Force Guys in the Guard?  Couldn't SOFCOM provide sufficient soldiers to fill the ranks? 

It would seem to me if you are wearing the tan brown beret you should be in the SOF uniform. If you are a support trade serving in SOF units do keep your DEU because only assault course-qualified people get to wear tan beret and brown uniform.  It seems very confusing (or all made up) to me!

I agree, but apparently only Operators get the new uniform not the supporters( which looks crappy on a parade of course).  And yes it occurred to me too. is that the Comd really an Operator?  Though I get that it's likely the symbolism at work here.  I have not heard from my supporter friends in the SOF community if this is causing any moral issues or not.

Jon

MGen Rouleau is an Artillery Officer who is a trained Assaulter. http://canadianartillery.ca/organization/senior-serving-artillery/rouleaumn/

Also interesting is that MGen Dawe is not an Assaulter, CBRN Op or SF Op but wears the SOFCOM DEU. Other than it would be odd for the Comd to not be in the same DEU as his gunfighters, perhaps the intent is to eventually give the uniform to all members of CANSOFCOM. Its also a new uniform, so even with the speed that SOF seems to be able to get stuff, they likely don't have enough to kit out even all the Operators/Assaulters yet.

Simian Turner said:
MGen Rouleau is a General Officer therefore his course qualifications and former occupation as an Artillery Officer are of no relevance.  If the CDS was a former Infantry Officer and former assaulter would he wear SOFCOM browns?

We'll find out if Rouleau ends up as the CDS in a few years.

Simian Turner said:
I have difficulty understanding how a SOF MGen retains a distinctive SOF environmental uniform since all Colonels and above become subject to the Col/GOFO cap badge and lose their Regimental affiliation and merely retain their environmental uniform.

Didn't you answer your own question in your question?  The SOF folks have their own DEU.  If a Supply Tech who is Army DEU gets posted to a ship, they don't change their DEU either.  Am I missing something?

I was equally puzzled by the Honour Guard photo of the General's Salute for MND, why is there a SOF officer with Army DEU and why are there Air Force Guys in the Guard?  Couldn't SOFCOM provide sufficient soldiers to fill the ranks?

Because SOF has a F Ech and an A Ech like anyone else does?  And the norm is to have 'multiple DEUs' on parade;  I attend RCAF parades now, and there is always RCN and C Army DEUs on the parade too.

Notice the folks in RCAF DEU in the attached pic with the grey 'tab' in the wedges and the RCN DEU folks with the tan band on their peak cap (not sure if this is still done or not, but it once was  * based on video below, it looks like the tan tabs and bands are history).

Attachments

• GG2010-0529-013.jpg
    GG2010-0529-013.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 11,337
Simian Turner said:
MGen Rouleau is a General Officer therefore his course qualifications and former occupation as an Artillery Officer are of no relevance.  If the CDS was a former Infantry Officer and former assaulter would he wear SOFCOM browns?

No relevance?  ???  He's a qualified Assaulter entitled to wear the uniform, per the CANSOF dress regs.  Perhaps one could ask what relevance being on the GOL has to do with his DEU?

Perhaps we might wait until LGen Bowes transfers command to LGen Rouleau at the CJOC Change-of-Command parade coming up soon, and see what DEU he wears?

...and ask why the CDS waived the forage cap part of the Army GOL dress regs, non?

:2c:

Regards,

G2G

Old EO Tech said:
And yes it occurred to me too. is that the Comd really an Operator? 

I'm pretty sure that he is wearing the JTF2 badge under his CinC Unit Commendation.

Back