• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. Politics 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
recceguy said:
I think if you want to voice an opinion of your hypotheticals, that's fine. Preface it with something to tell us that. I think, I believe, What if, stuff like that. When you make a definitive, people may want to know where you got the information.

It may have saved all that above. No direction, just a suggestion you can take or leave.

Cheers
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/29/politics/mueller-gates-russia-investigation-contacts/index.html

Special counsel Robert Mueller's team last year made clear it wanted former Trump campaign deputy Rick Gates' help, not so much against his former business partner Paul Manafort, but with its central mission: investigating the Trump campaign's contact with the Russians. New information disclosed in court filings and to CNN this week begin to show how they're getting it.

Gates would have to talk about the communication with the man if prosecutors wanted, according to his plea deal. That's in line with what prosecutors told Gates months ago during high-stakes negotiations, CNN has learned. They told him they didn't need his cooperation against Manafort, according to a person familiar with the investigation, and instead wanted to hear what he knew about contact between the Trump campaign and Russians.

It's happening. Slowly but surely.

CNN?

OK, I'm not getting into the fake news stuff :Tin-Foil-Hat:

I've become very cynical and jaded to the reporting of this investigation. By everyone. There just seems so much wrong with it.

Anyway, I'm happy to wait until the official representation of the whole thing comes out.

I know from experience, in court, how fast something can turn 180 degrees on you in those settings. Or while they are setting the type on their stories, it changes again, twice more.

Trying to speculate the outcome in general, and the individual cases in particular, at this point, without transcripts is a fool's errand. That's why I'll read and discuss possibilities, but will refrain (as much as I can catch it) from definitive statements as though I were sitting in the courtroom.

That's all I was trying to say.

Ciao

recceguy said:
CNN?

OK, I'm not getting into the fake news stuff :Tin-Foil-Hat:

He tells the base it's all Fake News. Except Fox.  :)

"Hard to believe that with 24/7 #Fake News on CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, NYTIMES & WAPO, the Trump base is getting stronger!"
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/894518002795900928

mariomike said:
He tells the base it's all Fake News. Except Fox.  :)

"Hard to believe that with 24/7 #Fake News on CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, NYTIMES & WAPO, the Trump base is getting stronger!"
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/894518002795900928

Which is exactly why I said I wouldn't discuss it.

To prevent exactly this from happening.

Thanks for your post but I'm not bothering with that can of worms, but thanks for trying anyway.

Ciao

Seems like the markets don't like trumps trade war,  or war on Amazon.

Altair said:
Seems like the markets don't like trumps trade war,  or war on Amazon.

I'm sure he's just playing 4D chess or whatever term his hard-line supporters will play mental gymnastics with.  At least he has never blamed previous presidents for declines or encouraged people to sue others for sharp declines in the Dow.

Oh nevermind  :facepalm:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/937309279257792512?s=21
Market went down 350 points based on the False and Dishonest reporting of Brian Ross of @ABC News (he has been suspended), should consider hiring a lawyer and suing ABC for the damages this bad reporting has caused - many millions of dollars!

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/266285251515531264?lang=en
The stock market and US dollar are both plunging today.  Welcome to @BarackObama’s second term.

Did people actually lose money due to reporter Brian Ross's erroneous report on Michael Flynn?

Jarnhamar said:
Did people actually lose money due to reporter Brian Ross's erroneous report on Michael Flynn?

It does look like the Dow dropped 300 points.  This is nothing compared to the 3000 it's dropped because of Trump's idiotic tweets and grudges.

There is a caravan of illegals heading towar the southern border.Today the President declared that the military would secure the border until a wall is built.

Perhaps president Trump should compare what is happening at that border with the way the US authorities are doing absolutely nothing to prevent (and in fact are almost helping) illegal immigrants entering Canada at the US Northern border and stopping THAT flow of illegal immigrants.

Perhaps he would realize that it is the actual position of the USA that it's not its job to protect Canada's border from illegal crossings into Canada from the US. As we say about our national bird, what's good for the goose is good for the gander! The USA has no more valid grounds on which to ask Mexico to safeguard the US border from people coming into the US. 

People claiming moral high ground from their glass houses should be leery of throwing stones. Just saying!

P.S.: T6, the Caravan is not one of "illegals". They can only become illegals if and when they cross illegally into the US - not before.  ;)

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Perhaps president Trump should compare what is happening at that border with the way the US authorities are doing absolutely nothing to prevent (and in fact are almost helping) illegal immigrants entering Canada at the US Northern border and stopping THAT flow of illegal immigrants.

Why should US authorities do anything to protect our border? It is our responsibility to do so, not theirs.

As for comparing happenings at each border, US authorities are taking steps to prevent/deter illegal immigration at their southern border, which is their responsibility.

'Twould be nice indeed if our government did the same.

Loachman said:
Why should US authorities do anything to protect our border? It is our responsibility to do so, not theirs.

As for comparing happenings at each border, US authorities are taking steps to prevent/deter illegal immigration at their southern border, which is their responsibility.

'Twould be nice indeed if our government did the same.

I think you missed the point he was trying to make due to lack of context.  Trump is threatening to cut aid to Honduras, where quite a few of the immigrants hail from.  He's also attacking Mexico saying he'll STOP Nafta if Mexico doesn't better secure their borders.  You are right thought and Trump is wrong.  It's no one's responsibility but the US to secure their own borders ;) 

I don't remember if our government has even requested assistance from the US government to help with the flow into Canada.

But perhaps we, too, could threaten to cut off aid or pull out of NAFTA.

I don't think that President Trump is wrong, though - why continue to provide assistance to a country that is causing one a problem? Why not apply a little pressure?

Oldgateboatdriver said:

Why would he?
If we're looking at this pragmatically he's in a position to pressure the country to the south of him to do what he wants while not giving a shit about the country to the north of him.  We're getting rid of problems for him. I mean it's not like our own leader didn't suggest we'd take people on lol

It's  win win for Trump and silly of us to act surprised.

tomahawk6 said:
Today the President declared that the military would secure the border until a wall is built.

Wouldn't that be a violation of the Posse Comitatus Act?

Retired AF Guy said:

Definitely a Title 10 vs Title 32 problem, although the latter allows for National Guard to be used domestically, much as Obama did.

tomahawk6 said:
Today the President declared that the military would secure the border until a wall is built.

Retired AF Guy said:

But while President Trump could order active duty military personnel or federalized National Guard troops to assist with border security operations, they would not be allowed to carry out law enforcement duties like detaining migrants crossing the border illegally.

That's because the Posse Comitatus Act prohibits the U.S. military from conducting law enforcement duties in the United States. The only way that can be allowed is by a special congressional authorization.
http://abc7ny.com/us-military-on-border-would-have-limited-role-/3297791/

END QUOTE

Jarnhamar said:
Couldn't he send the marines.

While the Act does not explicitly mention the United States Navy and the United States Marine Corps, the Department of the Navy has prescribed regulations that are generally construed to give the Act force with respect to those services as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back