• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. Politics 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
mariomike said:
I was eight. I remember a lot of tension. A lot of fire drills. As we kids ran around the neighborhood playing war, I had no idea that the real thing was actually taking place.

I remember a sense of joyous relief in the community when the Crisis ended.

Funny thing I remember ten years after the Cuban Missile Crisis, when I started working, was the number of homes you would be sent into with pictures of Jesus Christ and President Kennedy hanging side-by-side on the wall.

I guess that I'm the old man in the group and my recollection was that this was just one slightly more tense moment than the rest in our world of CONELRAD alert tests, duck and cover drills and a general expectation that nuclear missiles would be raining down on us at any moment.

Notwithstanding all this we too played "guns" (not Cowboys and Indians), street hockey and Relievio in the streets and those tiny strips of grass and trees which in Toronto went by the grandiose title of "the bush".

Our neighbourhood was predominantly protestant but the two Catholic friends I had also had the Kennedy/Jesus pictures hanging in their living rooms.

Changing topic:

Trump gets testy as national security team warns of risks of Syria withdrawal

. . .
Military officials have presented an almost unanimous view that withdrawing US troops from Syria now would be a mistake -- a stance that clashes with Trump's stated opinion that "it's time" to come home. Top commanders expressed their sentiments in public on Tuesday, despite Trump's remarks.

During the meeting with his national security council at the White House, Trump was told by top advisers such as Gen. Joseph Dunford, the chairman of the Joints Chiefs of Staff, that leaving Syria now would provide an opening for Russia, Turkey and Iran to advance their own interests in the country, which run counter to the United States'. The leaders of those countries are meeting in Ankara this week to discuss their own path forward in Syria.

At one stage, Dunford asked the President to state explicitly what he wanted to see happen in Syria, according to an administration official.

A joint staff spokesman declined to comment on what Dunford said to the President.
. . .

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/04/politics/donald-trump-syria-troops/index.html

:cheers:

Journeyman said:
Absolutely no sarcasm intended.

Incredulity at your supposed 1962 political wisdom, given what you post in 2018, yes.  But sarcasm, no.

More bovine scatology from a Master, hell, maybe Grand Master, but certainly not a journeyman. Only your opinion is right. Oh wait, you don't post opinion here. Just smarmy attacks on people not in lockstep with your frame of mind. Have I got that right? Maybe not.  :dunno:.

L8r

Trump orders National Guard troops to the US-Mexico border
. . .
President Donald Trump officially signed a memorandum to deploy the National Guard to the southwest border on Wednesday, a move that followed days of him calling for more border security.

Key details like the numbers of troops, how long they will be deployed, how much it will cost and where they will go are still being finalized.
. . .

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/04/politics/trump-national-guard-troops-border/index.html

Could this be the answer?

Army calls for 200,000-man detail to fill sandbags on US-Mexico border

EL PASO, Texas — The U.S. Army’s top enlisted man has been seen walking around a number of U.S. Army installations in an attempt to round up at least 200,000 soldiers for a detail on the U.S.-Mexico border, sources confirmed today.

According to a number of sources at Fort Bliss, Sgt. Maj. of the Army Daniel Dailey was seen screaming in the parking lots of various barracks for “a couple hundred thousand bodies.”

. . .

https://www.duffelblog.com/2018/03/trump-border-wall/

I couldn't help myself  ;D

:cheers:

Trump has grown tired of (hearing about) the Barbies in his playroom and decided to play with little army men (National Guardsmen) in his toy box.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.tennessean.com/amp/485649002

Former Gov. Phil Bredesen has a 10-point lead over U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn in the race to succeed U.S. Sen. Bob Corker, according to a new poll from Middle Tennessee State University

The poll, released Thursday, found 45 percent of 600 registered Tennessee voters said they would choose Bredesen, a Democrat and former Nashville mayor, if the election were immediately held.
In Tennessee of all places.

If this pattern holds,  November is going to be a bloodbath.

Altair said:
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.tennessean.com/amp/485649002
In Tennessee of all places.

If this pattern holds,  November is going to be a bloodbath.

Still seven months away; lots of things can happen between now and then.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/04/trump-cuts-gordian-knots-with-unconventional-methods/

Trump Is Cutting Old Gordian Knots

By Victor Davis Hanson

April 5, 2018 6:30 AM

Donald Trump inherited an array of perennial crises when he was sworn in as president in 2017. He certainly did not possess the traditional diplomatic skills and temperament to deal with any of them.

Simian Turner said:
Trump has grown tired of (hearing about) the Barbies in his playroom and decided to play with little army men (National Guardsmen) in his toy box.

Add that to the ( $30 Million? ) military parade he is giving himself in Washington.

mariomike said:
Add that to the ( $30 Million? ) military parade he is giving himself in Washington.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Mad Dog's office.  I wonder how he feels about all this and what it's like being the only competent one in a circus clown car.

mariomike said:

There could be some savings by just having the parade at the border.  Two birds with one stone.  ;D

Remius said:
There could be some savings by just having the parade at the border. 

Former Mexican president Vicente Fox, "I am not going to pay for that fuken wall parade.”  :)

The latest that I can see is that this parade is scheduled for 11 November (Veteran's Day in the US), and cost estimates vary widely. It is also, while not common, not unprecedented.

What would be an appropriate recognition of the centenary of the end of the First World War?

I recall a large military parade to Queen's Park in Toronto in the early- to mid-2000s, featuring about 2000 to 3000 troops and cadets, that I attended. I cannot remember the occasion or specific date. That was a provincial capital. The parade in question is in a national capital.

Given the national population ratio, that would equate to 20000 to 30000 on parade in Washington.

1700 CF members marched in Toronto in April 2013 to commemorate the second centenary of the Battle of York, according to https://torontoist.com/2013/04/commemorating-the-battle-of-york/. The article at the link is positive, and no accusations of ego or complaints of cost or appropriateness. Even the Toronto Star said "It’s entirely fitting to mark this anniversary with pomp and ceremony" in https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2013/04/21/the_battle_of_york_200_years_ago_shaped_toronto_and_canada_editorial.html.

This was, of course, just one battle in a much smaller conflict than the First World War and was twice as long ago.

Again, based upon the population ratio, the equivalent size parade in the US would be 17000.

Is a parade in the US capital on the occasion of the centenary of the end of the First World War inappropriate?

If not, what size should it be? How big is too big?

Some precedents: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/how-military-parades-us-have-changed-180968102/

"Most recently, in 1991 more than 8,000 troops marched down Washington D.C.'s Constitution Avenue in a victory parade celebrating the end of the Persian Gulf War. Stealth fighter planes passed overhead while tanks and Patriot missiles rolled by a crowd of 200,000"

"The inauguration of President John F. Kennedy in 1961 included a parade featuring dozens of missiles as well as soldiers and sailors aboard Navy boats towed along Pennsylvania Avenue, writes Nicole Chavez for CNN." That was, of course, directly for a US President.

"President Dwight Eisenhower's 1953 inaugural parade included 22,000 military service members. The marchers were joined by a cannon capable of firing a nuclear warhead. It was "the most elaborate inaugural pageant every held," according to the Eisenhower Presidential Library & Museum." That was, of course, directly for a US President.

There's more at https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/07/us/american-military-parades/

Were there accusations of ego or complaints about cost for those back then? I somewhat doubt it. Different times, and different US Presidents.

But now, it's not President Kennedy. It's not President Eisenhower. It's President Trump.

Different times, and different US Presidents - and different journalistic standards.

Except...

All those presidents had military service.  Not a big deal and maybe not even relevant.  Not even sure those parades were at their request either.

Trump asked for one after seeing one in France.  Like a kid who goes to a birthday party and tells his parents he wants his to be like it too.

The scramble is to find a time that is appropriate as opposed to just appease his need for something he doesn’t have yet but wants.

Marking the centenary of WW1 has NOTHING to do with Trump's parade.  It's all about stroking his ego after watching the France's Bastille Day parade.  He originally wanted it on July 4th, which pissed a lot of military members off.  Lets not kid ourselves here and make it out as some grand ceremony respecting the military or veterans.  Trump has shown on his countless attacks on John McCain that he no respect for veterans at all. 

Remius said:
Trump asked for one after seeing one in France.  Like a kid who goes to a birthday party and tells his parents he wants his to be like it too.

"Military refuses to participate in Trump's parade, citing bone spurs."  Just kidding.  :)

Wonder if this former VA employee will be at the parade.

https://www.militarytimes.com/veterans/2018/03/28/shulkin-out-trump-fires-va-secretary-after-weeks-of-controversy/

Remius said:
Except...

All those presidents had military service.  Not a big deal and maybe not even relevant.  Not even sure those parades were at their request either.

The scramble is to find a time that is appropriate as opposed to just appease his need for something he doesn’t have yet but wants.

Trump had "militaryish" service. He even had little medals.

article-draft-0720.jpg

;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back