• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

trying to decide my MOC

maggiemagooo

Inactive
Reaction score
hey guys, hope this isn't a nuisance post, but it has been hard for me trying to decide my MOC. I'm a 33 year old woman who has always wanted to be in the army, to stand proud wearing the uniform, so i decided to go for it after years of doing meaningless jobs. My problem is that i can't decide what i want to do.. i thought that i might go into supply tech, but the thought of working indoors after years of doing that , makes me cringe.I know that supply techs aren't always indoors but for the most part they are from what the recruiter and the MOC video says. I also was swayed away from that decision because i would like to be a part of the combat arms, so i thought about joining the armour corps...but i would like to know a little more about it. I have seen the MOC video for it and the recruiter says i should go for it, but... i get kinda figgidy at times and i started to invision that i would be sitting all day in an armoured vehicle with not alot room to move and i started to think it might be a bad idea. Now i know that they don't just sit around in armoured vehicles, but i would like to know what a normal day is of an armoured soldier?
Also .. if anyone has a better suggestion as to another field i should look into would be great.. i know i need to make this decision myself but i really have would like any feedback...this is a big life decision i am making and i want to feel confident  in my choice. The better i feel about my trade of choice ,the better effort i can put forth to becoming a part of the team.
thanks

I can't tell bout armored,but I can tell you about what I do:
I am a weapons Tech(land).I am responsable for maintaince,repair and modification of small arms,up to 84mm recoiless rifles,land deployed ordanance(artillery)and vehical weapon systems.I also am responsable for ancillery equipment(ie:field cooking equipment,security containers and basic locksmithing).
My course lenth was approx 10 months long-It encompassed a basic intro to shop functions(tools,blueprinting,math and basic welding),a Basic driver training course,A "battle school"(they've shortened it alot since I took mine)a famil to Air Brakes and finally my primary trades training.
This all took place in CFSEME(Canadian Forces School of Electrical and Mechanical Enginering)in CFB Borden outside of Barrie,Ontario.
Presently I work as a member of the maintance team in a workshop with the occasional trip to the field to either support or participate in ranges and field exercises.
My trade is good if your mecanically inclined(you don't need previous experience)and enjoy working to a high standard and tolerance(one slip-up and gaurentee you won't make another!).
My trade is commonally refered to as Gunsmith(not a 100% accurate)and as a armourer.

Armoured: On an infantry standpoint, the armoured do get warm coffee in the field. That's -always- a plus.

Alright, some other "combat arms" trades:
Med-tech: You're indoors in garrison and you get to practice your skills a lot since everyone is a human that can bleed. IMO it's a cozy job in garrison. In the field so far I've seen them as range safety staff who are there incase of a mishap and I've seen them in the rear of the front of battle with the WO or SM at the Casualty Collection Point (CCP). A big benefit of this is you get a lot of good certifications which are easily transferred to civy-side and pay well over there. It's really a 'help your fellow man' kind of job if you are really into that. The downfall to it is, like all paramedic jobs, you have the chance to see the big messups of humanity and the results of stupid actions.

Artillery: I know even less about this job than I do Armoured, but I see a lot of female Bombadiers.

Field Engineers: Get to do some of the more 'interesting things' such as explosives, Building bridges, clearning mines. It's a little more rough on the body as per field activity. Also has some good civy-side transferrable skills.

My 4 rubles
-Spooks

As a 031 who is has been involved in the training of combat arms soldiers and other trades for a while, you have to trust that the career choice you make is the right one.
All of the trades mentioned so far are excellent and will provide great rewards as you progress through. Now myself I kinda partial to the INFANTRY, the backbone of the forces,the pointy end of the sword, and the hours are good (24/7 365) LOL. As an infanteer you will not only be taught to operate a myriad of weapons systems but you can also be trained in combat intelligence, surveillance operator, Close Quarter Combat Instructor, Mountain operations, and many more.
The trade is tough, dirty and a heck of alot of fun.
In the word of a movie knight "You Must Choose Wisely"
If you do choose 031chances are you will end up here in Meaford to take part in SQ-Soldier Qualifacationand the BIQ-Basic Infantry Qualifacation. Then off to a unit and hopefully a rewarding and successful career.
GOOD LUCK  on your choice
Pro Patria

Further to my last, I always hated when the tankers drove by with a cup of coffee and gave us that little grin, the lowered  the umbrella down on the hatch so as to keep the rain off.

I was a Field engineer 041 / combat engineer 043 for 11 years before becoming an AESOp.  I git to blow things up, build everything you can imagine, clear land mines, drive boats and play infantry as well.  It was a blast the whole time and i have no regrets.  The trade as a fantastic mix of both physical, tactical and technical skills to keep you challenged.

"FIRST IN, LAST OUT"

"SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY"

Back