• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Troy

K. Ash

Inactive
Reaction score
I seen it last night. It was pretty good, no Gladiator but good just the same. I think all the actors done a really good job with their characters. Except, Orlando Bloom = Prince Paris of Troy i.e: the coward. He sucks no matter who he plays.

All in all a good movie, I reccomend it.

P.S Helen was hot, but I don‘t know about the whole "face to launch a thousand ships" thing.

So has anybody seen it?

I saw it. Kind of lame. Course i had seen the full length LOTR dvds the night before.

I thought he played Legolas just fine in LOTR.

My overall opinion of Troy was just the opposite. It was ok, but borderline to being a bad movie.

Although Brad Pitt‘s acting was fine, the character that was written for him was very confusing.
Is he supposed to be the most powerful and arrogant warrior to have ever lived? Or is he supposed to be a guy who has very deep compasion for women, his foes, his men etc. and allows it to show through all the time.

Plus Paris never did get a chance to regain his honour according to legend, but he does in the movie. There‘s lots of flaws and I‘m sure you could read about them on any movie reviewing website.

That and the fact that there should have been way more battle scenes involving the use of tactics of the era, with the interlocking sheilds etc.

Basically my overall impression of the movie was that it wasn‘t even close to what it could have been, given the material.

The one redeeming value of the movie was Brad Pitt‘s battle scenes. It was cool how he fought his way through the crowds in seemingly fluid motion. There should have been a lot more of it.

Ouch. Thats a reveiw. My poor head. OH yeah ditto to what he said.

I thought Hector‘s wife was better looking than Helen. And the movie was OK, though I was satisfied to know that the losing side was the one that placed all their faith in the gods.

I like Starship Troopers 2 better :)

Yes, they‘re releasing it on DVD sometime this summer.

I had no idea there was a starship troopers 2.

And nULL there‘s no doubt your right about Hector‘s wife.

Hollywood has managed to spit on a cornerstone of literature with this movie, NO ONE IS SAFE ANYMORE....not even Homer.

I would say that it followed the actual story line of the classic epics for MAYBE..20% of the movie, other than that it was wrong.

As far as it‘s box office appeal is concerned, the action was lacking (Nothing of gladiator quality though they tried) The drama was poorly written (I dont know if it was the writing or Brad Pitt, but one of them stunk) So it never really stuck to one route.

I honestly have never been so disappointed with a movie, with the exception of "timeline" which was a good book, I would call this one of the worst book to screen adaptations ever...

Originally posted by GrahamD:
[qb] There‘s a Starship Troopers 2? [/qb]
Theres another movie that does the book wrong. Don‘t get me wrong, Starship Troopers (first one) is a good dose of mindless violence when you need that sort of thing, but if they actually had followed the book it would‘ve been spectacular.

Sorry for the tangent :)

I agree, most legends/stories/books/etc. that are optioned for video sacrifice any semblance of consistency in order to make a movie more apealing to the customer, which normally means action, action, action, and the good guy always has to win.
I have not seen the movie myself, but i imagine that it is pretty bad, judging by what you guys are saying. I think i‘ll just wait for it on dvd if i see it at all.

I honestly have never been so disappointed with a movie, with the exception of "timeline" which was a good book, I would call this one of the worst book to screen adaptations ever...
Yup, pretty much agree with you there. As a bit of an Iliad-buff (studied it for four months in school), I wasn‘t very impressed witht the movie.

- What the heck is Achilles doing falling in love, he is the war machine for petes sake.

- What kinda Greek Epic doesn‘t include the Gods?!?

- What was with all that silly sword fighting. Most of the action in the poem is spear work.

- Not enough character development for many of the great figures of the epic and they decided that Homer wasn‘t good enough so they would rewrite the book; ie Menelaus and Agamemnon get killed, WTF!

All in all, a good example of how a 3,500 year old bedrock of the Western Canon can be trashed by Hollywood. I think the Iliad could have been better justified by the sort of 10 volume miniseries treatment that Band of Brothers got.

Infanteer Out.

Just read that Iliad is now 86 on the Top 100 Amazon book-list.

I say there‘s going to be some disappointed teeny boppers when they figure out that it‘s not a steamy sex novel.

I also spent a few months on this in school, and what drives me nuts is that we can analyze it for weeks and months, structure, prose, rythm, nothing homer‘s careful attention to each and every single character, no matter how small, on the battlefield. Maybe even as far as reading it in the original language (not I). Now Hollywood has turned that into a neatly packaged overblown poorly written movie, something someone can pay 10$ to go see at the theatre and walk out believing they‘re an "expert" on classic literature.

If they had done it well I‘d be pleased I really would, it may have helped enlighten so many people. As it stands, someone might purchase the Iliad because they liked the movie, and a few days later use it to prop up their coffee table because "Homer didn‘t feature Brad Pitt‘s character nearly enough."

On another note; I‘ll be seeing "Supersize Me" Thursday night, has anyone heard anything about it yet? I‘m guessing it will make more profit than "Troy"

I‘ll wait for King Arthur to come out. I really liked the heavy roman backround in the movie(trailer). maybe that or alien vs. predator

I‘m not a big fan of comparing movies to books. Theres always going to be parts left out, parts made up and other parts hollywoodized. Your never going to come up equil when you try and compare a hollywood movie and a book. They are never going to add up so its a a waste of time comparing them.

Here‘s another horror...

Remember Sean Bean‘s (Odysseus) comment at the end of the movie? (if they ever tell my story...)

Who thinks the producers may actually contemplate a blockbuster version of the Oddysey, but like Troy, with no Gods, supernatural beasts etc...

It would be a pretty quiet cruise.

Well, it‘s sort of hard to take a 10 year siege of a city and colapse it into a couple of hours, but, in the end, I thought it was good.

There was a made for TV movie a while ago, "The Odyssey"

Does anyone remember that? It hada rather well done portrayal of Troy (as well as just about every other Greek legend) one that actually took 10 years.

McBear:

You‘ll like Starship Troopers 2. They had like 1/10th of the budget from the first, they had to reuse some of the special effects from the first movie, but in the end the no-name actors are hungry and really kick it up a notch.

EDIT:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118414/

I could forgive some artistic licensing when it came to "Troy", I understand they need to cut things and change things slightly.
But the lack of any Gods, and Achilles‘ love subplot just destroyed any leeway it may have had.

I‘m sure I‘ll think of one later, but can anyone think of a really good book to movie adaptation off the top of their heads?

Since I just bought it, the lord of the rings? Granted, its notably different from the book, but it is still fairly true to the plot.

As I remember, We were soldiers was fairly true to the book, (probably more so with smaller details than Black hawk down was, but still with errors), at least the Ia Drang part of the book.

Back