• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tough Mudder - Good training to prepare for BMQ/Obstacle Courses?

JoPelle said:
they do a 13km walk at the end.

No issues with this - it is true.

JoPelle said:
It will get you used to the long runs with all your equipement.

However, running is not the same as walking.  ::)

SeR said:
No issues with this - it is true.

However, running is not the same as walking.  ::)

Bad choice of words.

Still, practicing running with weight makes the flat runs easier. Thats it

The only advice I can give is don't wear those stupid "toed- shoes".[whatever they're called]  Those folks were slipping and sliding all over the place when the going got wet, muddy and steep............

you could bring 2 pair of shoes too.
One for rainy days.

Some people say that you dont really have space for a second pair. But I would take a chance, since theres nothing worst than running in wet shoes!

Umm,.......the rain doesn't matter,...look at the website and check the obstacles.
You WILL be running in wet muddy shoes.......

JoPelle said:
wow.
Its called a suggestion. To get prepared.
Running on flat surface after doing weight running is a  joke. Thats just a suggestion. At the end of the day, you can do whatever you want.

I suppose you're going to tell me where I can find a hill with a 30 degree incline for about 5-6km around the St. Jean area as well? You could tell people to run Ironman triathlons or ultra-marathons to prepare as well, but that is completely unrealistic compared to the level of physical condition they will need to be in to succeed at BMQ. You're suggestion is completely disproportionate to what's expected at BMQ.

JoPelle said:
Before applying for the forces, I was a personal trainer, so I think I know what im talking about.
I never pretended to have THE answer on how to get prepared, I simply gave an OPINION!

Great, another "personal trainer" with a 2-week course. I'll bet they taught you all about going days without sleep and only consuming about 2000 calories a day during that period, right? Sorry that you think you know what you are talking about, but you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to the demands of BMQ or the various jobs within the CAF. There are people on this site that do.

ballz said:
I suppose you're going to tell me where I can find a hill with a 30 degree incline for about 5-6km around the St. Jean area as well? You could tell people to run Ironman triathlons or ultra-marathons to prepare as well, but that is completely unrealistic compared to the level of physical condition they will need to be in to succeed at BMQ. You're suggestion is completely disproportionate to what's expected at BMQ.

Great, another "personal trainer" with a 2-week course. I'll bet they taught you all about going days without sleep and only consuming about 2000 calories a day during that period, right? Sorry that you think you know what you are talking about, but you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to the demands of BMQ or the various jobs within the CAF. There are people on this site that do.

Whoa sir. calm the fk down.
I just said what kind of training I was doing to prepare for BMQ. You can do whatever you want.
I find you quite dissrespectful towards me. I did a 2 years training to get my personnal trainer certificate. So indeed, I know what im talking about when it comes to training.
When you dont know something, dont assume.

The question was: How can I prepapre for BMQ.
Since im only merit listed and never did BMQ, I cant really talk about how to get prepare for ALL BMQ, but as far as fitness matter, I can SUGGEST stuff, and thats what I did.
You kids need to learn respect and to stop judging without knowing.

JoPelle said:
Whoa sir. calm the fk down.
I just said what kind of training I was doing to prepare for BMQ. You can do whatever you want.
I find you quite dissrespectful towards me. I did a 2 years training to get my personnal trainer certificate. So indeed, I know what im talking about when it comes to training.
When you dont know something, dont assume.

The question was: How can I prepapre for BMQ.
Since im only merit listed and never did BMQ, I cant really talk about how to get prepare for ALL BMQ, but as far as fitness matter, I can SUGGEST stuff, and thats what I did.
You kids need to learn respect and to stop judging without knowing.

JoPelle, from what I have seen from your posts on this site, your responses have either given incorrect information or they have been irrelevant to the topic being discussed. This topic was asking about the Tough Mudder and if it would be good preparation for BMQ/ Obstacle Course. The OP was not asking for general training ideas. Calling much more experienced members on this site "kids" is a terrible way to garner respect. The users on this site have much more time in and are much more knowledgeable on this subject. As far as your personal training certificate, the only certification in Canada that requires two years worth of training (two years of university in a Exercise Science/Kinesiology degree) is the CSEP-CPT certification. Is this the one you have? If so, I know for a fact that it would never prescribe running with a weight vest.

Wallace said:
JoPelle, from what I have seen from your posts on this site, your responses have either given incorrect information or they have been irrelevant to the topic being discussed. This topic was asking about the Tough Mudder and if it would be good preparation for BMQ/ Obstacle Course. The OP was not asking for general training ideas. Calling much more experienced members on this site "kids" is a terrible way to garner respect. The users on this site have much more time in and are much more knowledgeable on this subject. As far as your personal training certificate, the only certification in Canada that requires two years worth of training (two years of university in a Exercise Science/Kinesiology degree) is the CSEP-CPT certification. Is this the one you have? If so, I know for a fact that it would never prescribe running with a weight vest.

Ok so basicly, you're not allowed to have an opinion.
And for my certificate, i did several courses over 2 years, non stop. I did CEP certificate, then I did a certificate for special training ( People with dissabilities) and I did a nutrition course over 2 months. I worked with people that were enrolling in the Canadian Forces and they told me that my training helped them alot during the course.
I think in general, I can give SUGGESTION. If not, then ill just shut my mouth and wait to be in BMQ to give advice to people.
And for the <<kid>> part, for me, someone who judge people without knowing them, and assume stuff about them is a kid. But then again, that just my opinion.

JoPelle said:
Ok so basicly, you're not allowed to have an opinion.
And for my certificate, i did several courses over 2 years, non stop. I did CEP certificate, then I did a certificate for special training ( People with dissabilities) and I did a nutrition course over 2 months. I worked with people that were enrolling in the Canadian Forces and they told me that my training helped them alot during the course.
I think in general, I can give SUGGESTION. If not, then ill just shut my mouth and wait to be in BMQ to give advice to people.
And for the <<kid>> part, for me, someone who judge people without knowing them, and assume stuff about them is a kid. But then again, that just my opinion.

The CEP Certification is for the scope of practice for everyone from people with disabilities to high performance athletes. This cert requires a 4 year university degree. From what you just stated you do not have this certification. I think it would be wiser to keep your opinion to yourself if you are going to continue to give bad/misleading and incorrect advice.

Okay, I think that'll do, why not take your individual phalluses (phali?) and tape measures to PMs?  Anything that will give you experience climbing slippery things in shitty weather is good prep.  No, the level of awesome sauce required to finish a mudder is not the level needed to be successful in basic, but anything above the bare minimum of fitness can only be a good thing, just don't get banged up.

Wallace said:
The CEP Certification is for the scope of practice for everyone from people with disabilities to high performance athletes. This cert requires a 4 year university degree. From what you just stated you do not have this certification. I think it would be wiser to keep your opinion to yourself if you are going to continue to give bad/misleading and incorrect advice.

Obviously, you dont know what you're talking about. The CEP is the french abr. for Certificat en Entrainement Privé, and is done in 6 months. It cost 500$ to do it, and it dosnt give you any certification in training people with disabilities. And as for my opinion, I dont think you or nobody else here have the right to tell someone they cant have their opinion. I think people here are smart enough to take information and look if its suit best for them or not. Im not forcing anyone to do what im saying nor am I saying I know it is the right thing to do.

JoPelle said:
Obviously, you dont know what you're talking about. The CEP is the french abr. for Certificat en Entrainement Privé, and is done in 6 months. It cost 500$ to do it, and it dosnt give you any certification in training people with disabilities. And as for my opinion, I dont think you or nobody else here have the right to tell someone they cant have their opinion. I think people here are smart enough to take information and look if its suit best for them or not. Im not forcing anyone to do what im saying nor am I saying I know it is the right thing to do.

75110-spongebob-square-pants-nobody-cares.jpg

I'm a big fan of running with weight. 

Going through (and training for) a tough mudder should help your fitness level.  The CF obstacle courses are much less aggressive dangerous and fun than the mudder/spartan races.  If you've never been on an obstacle course before then I think yes going to one before basic would give you a heads up so to speak.

Including hills during your runs will help you condition your body should you be running up a hill during PT.

Mind you  I just shit the bed with a fitness check and ran a 2.4km run in 12:23 so I deserve to be made fun of.

Mind you  I just crap the bed with a fitness check and ran a 2.4km run in 12:23 so I deserve to be made fun of.

Ahh come on now were you hung over? Was it a Monday morning? If your a smoker did you have your pre run smoke? A lot of factors to consider there but at least you know theres room for improvement.

I knew a guy who said he would only run at his pace never the armys pace no matter how much someone yelled at him. He stayed true to that.

To OP,

Tough mudder is fun to do but try the O Course if you live in the GTA. It runs every saturday and only costs $30 for a three hour session. It was created by a former marine drill sgt.

I did it and I have to say it was pretty intense. I think that would be better prep for basic training based only on what I have seen in the Basic Up and Reloaded videos.

The Course is up for Whistler this Saturday the 22nd. Some of the obstacles I can see relate to BMQ.

http://toughmudder.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Tough-Mudder-Whistler-2013-Course-Map.pdf

1. Kiss of Mud, crawling under barbed wire in thick mud - BMQ
2. Arctic Enema, Jumping into a pool of ice having to go submerge under a divider to get to other side
3. Bush Whacked, Running through bushes/woods/thorn bushes etc.
4. Warrior Carry, Carry someone for 50 yards and then switch - BMQ
5. Glory Blades, Climbing over slanted berlin walls - I think BMQ
6. Log Jammin, Going over and under log obstacles - I think BMQ
7. Trench Warfare - Going through pitch black tunnels in the mud - Maybe BMQ
8. Firewalker - Running through several fire pits jumping over fire into a pool of ice cold water
9. Mud Mile - going through hills and mudpits for a mile
10. Ladder to Hell - very high ladder that you have to go up and over
11. Electric Eel, Crawling through water under wires that are charged with 10,000 volts...... Nice....
12. Cage Crawl - In water with 10 inches of breathing room covered by chain link.
13. Cliffhanger - a 40+ foot cliff of slippery mud angled at 45-degrees.
14. Hold your Wood - Carry wood for multiple km's
15.  Walk the Plank - Jumping off 15 foot plank into water
16. Boa Constrictor - Going through small tubes - BMQ?
17. Funky Monkey - Monkey bars across body of water - bmq w/o water
18. Everest - running up a half pipe layered with grease
19. Berlin Walls - Enough said, BMQ
20. Electroshock Therapy - Running through dangling wires charged with 10,000 volts

Back