• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tough Mudder - Good training to prepare for BMQ/Obstacle Courses?

Cbbmtt

Inactive
Reaction score
Good Day Forces Members!

Just wanted to see if any Forces members have done tough mudder and I want to know if it is actually tough compared to the obstacle courses you have done through the Forces and/or BMQ?

I'm doing the course coming up on the 22nd in Whistler and I'm super excited! Not as excited as I would be if I got my call for the interview, but still..

Also, do many Forces members do tough mudder and other charity events like this; Sun Run, Run for the Cure and other fundraising events while being posted across Canada?

Have a great day!

Cbbmtt said:
Just wanted to see if any Forces members have done tough mudder and I want to know if it is actually tough compared to the obstacle courses you have done through the Forces and/or BMQ?

I haven't done Tough Mudder, but from what I've heard it is harder and a lot longer then a CF obstacle course. The obstacle courses I've done were maybe a couple hundred metres long,  Tough Mudder is 10+miles.

Cbbmtt said:
Also, do many Forces members do tough mudder and other charity events like this; Sun Run, Run for the Cure and other fundraising events while being posted across Canada?

Some members do on their own time

I did Tough Mudder last August and was asked about it yesterday after my interview.  Feedback I got was it was pretty good preparation for basic.  Little did I know at the time ...

I'll be at the Tough Mudder on the 22nd at Whisler also.  From what I've seen of the Tough Mudder course is it's quite a bit longer (13 miles) and more difficult than the ones the Canadian Forces has.  How about I let you know after we finish it at the Dos Equis afterparty ;)

TheHead said:
I'll be at the Tough Mudder on the 22nd at Whisler also.  From what I've seen of the Tough Mudder course is it's quite a bit longer (13 miles) and more difficult than the ones the Canadian Forces has.  How about I let you know after we finish it at the Dos Equis afterparty ;)

I just bought my Compression tights! and Dry fit socks. It's gonna be cold! If I don't see you at the party considering there will be a couple thousand people up there I'll message you on here. We find out our start times in a few days I think.

Just a word of caution for those awaiting a call from the CF and doing tough mudder. Just make sure you don't break yourself and get an injury. The last thing you would want is to get the call but unable to attend your basic due to injury. Other than that enjoy it and have fun  :cheers:

Teager said:
Just a word of caution for those awaiting a call from the CF and doing tough mudder. Just make sure you don't break yourself and get an injury. The last thing you would want is to get the call but unable to attend your basic due to injury. Other than that enjoy it and have fun  :cheers:

:goodpost:

I assure you that there is nothing in basic training as physically demanding as the tough mudder. As for the obstacle course, it's a joke. You don't even have to be able to do all the obstacles. But basic is for everyone so even the fat people have to be able pass.

Sneaking past sleeping candidates past the DUTY NCO out of the shacks and past the bored MPs and making it to town at night can be a pretty tricky obstacle.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Sneaking past sleeping candidates past the DUTY NCO out of the shacks and past the bored MPs and making it to town at night can be a pretty tricky obstacle.

I couldn't imagine doing 5am PT being hung over and getting no sleep.

I would suggest to run with a powervest. Something arround 25-30 pounds.
It will get you used to the long runs with all your equipement.

I run up a 30 degree angle hill with a 25 pounds vest 3 times a week for about 30 min.
When you go on a flat surface, you feel the difference, its much easier!

JoPelle said:

I run up a 30 degree angle hill with a 25 pounds vest 3 times a week for about 30 min.

Running with all your gear on? You'll do rucksack marches at a quick pace but no running. The army  learned running with all your gear on only breaks soldiers.

JoPelle said:

You were awaiting a job offer as of two weeks ago. What makes you think you should be giving advice to people on how to prepare for BMQ when you haven't even been there? Stay in your lanes.

Cbbmtt said:
I couldn't imagine doing 5am PT being hung over and getting no sleep.

Back in the day we called that "TQ3" and "TQ5A".

ballz said:
You were awaiting a job offer as of two weeks ago. What makes you think you should be giving advice to people on how to prepare for BMQ when you haven't even been there? Stay in your lanes.
wow.
Its called a suggestion. To get prepared.
Running on flat surface after doing weight running is a  joke. Thats just a suggestion. At the end of the day, you can do whatever you want.
Before applying for the forces, I was a personal trainer, so I think I know what im talking about.
I never pretended to have THE answer on how to get prepared, I simply gave an OPINION!

JoPelle said:

That is not an opinion you are stating that the forces do runs with gear on. That is incorrect.

Teager said:
That is not an opinion you are stating that the forces do runs with gear on. That is incorrect.

they do a 13km walk at the end.

Back