• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tom Ridge Resigns [Wait For It- CNN]

Guardian

Inactive
Reaction score
CNN's reporting that Tom Ridge, US Secretary of Homeland Defence, has resigned.

No details yet - more to follow....

I have also heard that Colin Powell has resigned. What's up in the Bush Cabinet, I wonder? Cheers.

Colin Powell resigned - the scuttlebutt in the news is that he was "not asked to return."

Looks like Condoleeza Rice will take over State.

As for Tom Ridge, it seems CNN has removed the "Breaking News" banner that prompted my post, and no mention of his resignation can be found. No other news sources I looked at are carrying the story yet. Maybe CNN jumped the gun....

In any case, I'll watch and shoot, but if it turns out the Ridge isn't gone after all, my apologies in advance to the forum.

(Edit for typo)

To date Six Cabinet secretaries have resigned, Commerce, State, Energy, Agriculture, Education and the Attorney General, It is to be expected to have cabinet reshuffling after a re-electiong, with Tom Ridge, that would make 7 resignations, the same as in the Clinton Administration after his re-election.  Usually resignations do not imply descent unless the resignation comes before the term has expired, as with the head of the Enviromental Protection Agency, but the EPA is not a Cabinet level position.

Some thoughts on Colin Powell, I think at times he was the only sane voice in Bushs' cabinet, but he did publically state how upset he was with the false evidence he took to the United Nations.  Unfortunately I think that will be his legacy,  Being a Cabinet Secretary is a very stressful position and the man is 68 years old.  I am sad to see the him go.    

It looks like there's no further indications of a resignation by Ridge. CNN must have put the banner up by mistake.....

I'll leave it to the mods to decide whether they want to lock this thread, or keep it and rename it as a discussion on US leadership changes.

How about a new title, just in case we are ahead of our time. :D
I think we have a couple of different spots where the Powell thing is being discussed but maybe we will keep this open for some of the other changes...........

And here it is - after I pronounced the patient dead, he lives (for now)!!  ;D

Bush picks Rice to succeed Powell
Tuesday, November 16, 2004 Posted: 12:38 PM EST (1738 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush announced Tuesday that he nominated national security adviser Condoleezza Rice to succeed Secretary of State Colin Powell.

"During the last four years I have relied on her counsel, benefited from her great experience and appreciated her sound and steady judgment. Now I'm honored that she's agreed to serve in my Cabinet," Bush said in a ceremony in the White House Roosevelt room.

If confirmed, Rice, who turned 50 on Sunday, would be the first black woman, and only the second woman ever, chosen as the nation's top diplomat. (Rice nomination would make history)

A modern-day renaissance woman who traded the stately halls of Stanford University for the political swirl of Washington, Rice became one of Bush's most trusted wartime advisers. (Hopes, fears for Rice appointment)

The secretary of state is fourth in line to succeed the president.

As part of the shake-up, Powell's longtime friend, Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage, submitted his letter of resignation Monday, his office told CNN Tuesday.

Rice's nomination is among a host of personnel changes in the Bush administration.

On Tuesday, two senior administration officials told CNN that Homeland Security Department Secretary Tom Ridge will also leave his Cabinet post, but the White House would not confirm the report.

Brian Roehrkasse, a spokesman for the department, said the report was "news to us."

Roehrkasse said Ridge has not made any decisions about his future and at this time there have not been any discussions with the White House.

Powell's decision came in a resignation letter to Bush dated last Friday.

Powell is the most prominent of four Cabinet officials whose resignations were announced Monday by the White House.

The others were Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman, Education Secretary Rod Paige and Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham.

"Now that the election is over," the letter reads, "the time has come for me to step down as secretary of state and return to private life. I, therefore, resign as the 65th secretary of state, effective at your pleasure."

Powell told reporters Monday that he "will always treasure the four years that I have spent with President Bush and with the wonderful men and women of the Department of State."

"I think we've accomplished a great deal."

Should Rice's nomination be approved, her top deputy, Stephen Hadley, will be promoted to national security adviser, the senior administration officials said.

The moves drew initial negative reaction from a former secretary of state who served Bush's father.

"I do not believe that you should have in the secretary of state someone who has spent their last four years in the White House next to the president," Lawrence Eagleburger told CNN's "Paula Zahn Now." "I do believe you need tension between the State Department, the Defense Department and the National Security Council.

"If the rumors prove correct and her deputy becomes national security adviser, everybody is going to speak the same language," he said. "Whatever influence, for instance, Colin Powell had is going to be much less under these new circumstances."

Powell, after announcing his resignation, was praised Monday as a "great statesman" and a "voice of moderation." (Powell praised)

One of Powell's best-known moments as secretary of state was his speech last year to the U.N. Security Council in which he made a case for invading Iraq.

He said that Saddam Hussein was still developing weapons of mass destruction despite years of U.N. disarmament demands. Those claims about Iraq weaponry were never borne out.

Powell: 'Business as usual' for now
Powell said Bush accepted the resignation Friday and added: "It has always been my intention that I would serve one term."

But a senior State Department official characterized Powell's departure this way: "He was not asked to stay."

For months Powell said he served at the pleasure of the president, suggesting he might stay if asked.

"That didn't happen," the senior official said. But the official also said Powell "never asked to stay and was never asked to leave."

Powell said he expects "to act fully as secretary of state until the day that I do leave. I expect that will be a number of weeks or a month or two as my replacement goes through the confirmation process."

Meanwhile, it will be business as usual, he said. "I fully intend for the department to work as hard as it has in recent years to push forward the president's foreign policy agenda."

He said he did not know what he would do after leaving the department.

Powell was scheduled to travel to Egypt next week for a conference on Iraq.

CNN's John King, Andrea Koppel, Suzanne Malveaux and Elise Labott contributed to this report.

It is my understanding that, although the press spins/presents/reports this as an exodus, cabinet members often (though not always) only stay for one term. I think it is much ado about nothing, especially since several of the people in question has clearly stated their intentions of serving only one term (Powell, in particular)...

seems like its finally happened. Im watching Global news now and they just had a blurb on Tom ridge the secretary of Homeland Defence, saying he resigned today. more details to follow...

EDIT: heres the more details  http://www.canada.com/national/story.html?id=71e621d6-bc5c-4c2a-bc20-98d013d6c408

Tom Ridge resigns as U.S. homeland security secretary

Beth Gorham
Associated Press

November 30, 2004

Tom Ridge. (AP/Ric Francis)

WASHINGTON -- The man charged with preventing another terrorist attack in the United States, Tom Ridge, is leaving his job as head of the sprawling Homeland Security Department.

Ridge, a former Pennsylvania governor, said Tuesday he'll leave by Feb. 1 at the latest and wants to spend more time with his family.

''I think we've accomplished a great deal in a short period of time,'' he told a news conference. ''There will always be more for us to do.''

Ridge has worked closely with Canada on security and border issues since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, including the smart border accord to pre-clear people and goods, and in improving co-operation between police and customs agents on both sides.

It had been rumoured for weeks that Ridge, who oversees 180,000 employees, wanted a break from the high-stress job.

Former deputy prime minister John Manley, who worked with Ridge after he became the White House homeland security adviser in October 2001, said Tuesday the subsequent cabinet post created in early 2003 is the most important U.S. position from a Canadian standpoint.

''His contribution to Canada-U.S. co-operation, especially on matters related to the border ... was very, very significant,'' Manley told CTV.

''A lot of the key agencies that affect our interaction come under the secretary of homeland security now,'' he said. ''... So who the president chooses to take that post is very important.

''I would love to see a former ambassador from the United States to Canada take that job.''

Contenders for the post include the current homeland security adviser, Fran Townsend. Others included Bernard Kerik, interim interior minister for Iraq; Joe Allbaugh, an emergency management official, and Mike Leavitt, administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency.

Ridge presided over America's contentious colour-coded risk system. He has raised the national risk level for a terrorist attack six times.

Critics say the alerts amounted to fear-mongering and served to build support for Bush as a leader in the war on terror.

Ridge has said he believes an assault by al-Qaida terrorists was averted last summer after intelligence reports indicated they might be targeting international flights to hit the United States.

2FtOnion said:
To date Six Cabinet secretaries have resigned, Commerce, State, Energy, Agriculture, Education and the Attorney General, It is to be expected to have cabinet reshuffling after a re-electiong, with Tom Ridge, that would make 7 resignations, the same as in the Clinton Administration after his re-election.  Usually resignations do not imply descent unless the resignation comes before the term has expired, as with the head of the Enviromental Protection Agency, but the EPA is not a Cabinet level position.

Some thoughts on Colin Powell, I think at times he was the only sane voice in Bushs' cabinet, but he did publically state how upset he was with the false evidence he took to the United Nations.  Unfortunately I think that will be his legacy,  Being a Cabinet Secretary is a very stressful position and the man is 68 years old.  I am sad to see the him go.    

Ridge came across as a straight shooter during the Senate hearings. He seems like a decent man from a simple background. Too bad more politicians are not like him.

Back