• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Entire police department in Minnesota city resigns

If you can't imagine why referring to a town as "unimportant" might be seen as a pejorative, I can't help you ;)
I can imagine that some people might be sensitive yes. Especially ones with that sort of command of the English language or how some unknown slang might be used. Context matters, the term in itself when properly used is not offensive or a pejorative.

Some light reading explaining it.

With that context in mind and how Brihard used it I fail to see why one would be offended. It can be, but not the way it was presented.

Like I said, never heard the word used before.

It's interesting that we have no problems demanding that Police Officers require massive upgrades to their education and training in recent years .
But for some odd reason we don't want to pay for that in way of wages.
Strangely enough daycare workers have the same problem .
If you’re referring to rural US, yes, that’s fair to say. If “we” includes Canada, can’t agree. Police pay here is quite good, and much better money than most Canadians will ever make. For what Canadian police are paid and the responsibilities they bear, it’s completely reasonable to expect good training, and that recruits bring compelling experience and/or education to the table.

Not everyone takes it that way.

Funny in this world.

If I am called Scotch it all depends upon who is doing the calling.

I can imagine that some people might be sensitive yes. Especially ones with that sort of command of the English language or how some unknown slang might be used. Context matters, the term in itself when properly used is not offensive or a pejorative.

Some light reading explaining it.

With that context in mind and how Brihard used it I fail to see why one would be offended. It can be, but not the way it was presented.

Like I said, never heard the word used before.
It's the difference between "He's a hick from a Podunk town" and "I'm a hick from a Podunk town".

For a more Canadian reference, it's like the difference between an Anglo calling someone "Frenchie" and a Franco referring to themself as "Frenchie".

Context matters, and for someone not from a "Podunk" town to refer to it that way is often viewed as a pejorative. Essentially, unless it's self deprecation, it's used as a way to diminish a place or the people from that place, to make it "lesser".

For clarity, I'm, not offended, simply reinforcing the point made earlier that it's not a good way to refer to a small town. Even @brihard acknowledged it, so I'm not sure why you're not getting it.

It's the difference between "He's a hick from a Podunk town" and "I'm a hick from a Podunk town".

For a more Canadian reference, it's like the difference between an Anglo calling someone "Frenchie" and a Franco referring to themself as "Frenchie".

Context matters, and for someone not from a "Podunk" town to refer to it that way is often viewed as a pejorative. Essentially, unless it's self deprecation, it's used as a way to diminish a place and make it "lesser".

For clarity, I'm, not offended, simply reinforcing the point made earlier that it's not a good way to refer to a small town. Even @brihard acknowledged it, so I'm not sure why you're not getting it.
Totally get it. I acknowledge that in the wrong context it can be pejorative. He acknowledged it with the explanation that he meant no disrespect. Did you read what I posted about context and how it can be used in the link? I suspect you aren’t getting it. Plenty of examples at the end of proper use and not being offensive. The difference and when to use it is explained and can go beyond what you describe and can be used beyond self deprication.

Totally get it. I acknowledge that in the wrong context it can be pejorative. He acknowledged it with the explanation that he meant no disrespect. Did you read what I posted about context and how it can be used in the link? I suspect you aren’t getting it. Plenty of examples at the end of proper use and not being offensive. The difference and when to use it is explained and can go beyond what you describe and can be used beyond self deprication.
I read the blog post, having heard the term for more than one day, and having lived in "Podunk" towns for a couple of decades, I'll take my understanding of the word over a rando guy on the internet.

You do you though.

Edit: In fairness, the guy may be American, and it may have a slightly different connotation down there. In my experience, "backwater" is less pejorative than "Podunk" in Canada.

I read the blog post, having heard the term for more than one day, and having lived in "Podunk" towns for a couple of decades, I'll take my understanding of the word over a rando guy on the internet.

You do you though.
Sorry I offended you. Cheers.

Sorry I offended you. Cheers.
The only thing that offended me was the notion that a quick google search of a term is more definitive than a native speakers understanding of a word... ;)

if major crime is rare, or any crime requiring a law enforcement response is rare for that matter, it doesn't make sense for that small agency (sometimes consisting of 1 dude and a handful of part time support staff) to spend a ton of money sending that officer away for advanced training courses.

Having knowledge of the local penal codes, and being able to detain/arrest/release individuals in a way the courts will recognize, and basic qualifications on equipment is probably enough.

But the low pay that comes with a bare minimum service, combined with local politics (including some families better connected than others) does create a genuine opportunity for a toxic workplace, and pressure to target some individuals over others.
Fair enough if the jurisdiction had legislation outlining - for want of a better term - 'degrees (or levels) of policing', and I will hazard a guess that, like us, none in the US do.

One problem that can arise, should a major crime occur, is the 'basically' trained local police officer will probably be first on the scene and can do huge amounts of evidentiary or investigative damage before the cavalry roles in from the senior jurisdiction. Larger services only come when they are called, and I can tell you from first-hand experience that, when many small municipal departments still existed in Ontario, there were those who would not call until the investigation was so badly screwed up, Christ himself couldn't save it.

also keep in mind the price of a new car, or truck, credit card debt, or the price of gas is very similar in a big city as it is in a smaller city. Yes house prices might be different, food prices are close to the same.

I lived in a small city in Iowa, prices for gas, food were the same. House pricing was around the same in the next couple towns over. Only thing that was cheaper was wait I never found it. We had to travel to grocery shop, nearest mall was 90 minutes away. Other than Walmart ( 20 miles away) we had no stores, had to travel, so any savings were eaten up by travel costs.

But the dislike, distrust of police is the same every where. Very low paying job for the level of work required
Considering most your budget is housing that makes a big difference. Not saying it balances out perfectly, they are underpaid, just that it isn’t necessarily as much as it could be.

I live in a much lower cost of living location making good money. I have a house and can afford to have two vehicles, well being the sole breadwinner if I so choose. My salary in Toronto would only get me maybe a single/two bedroom apartment, no vehicle. But as you said the main difference is just housing costs.

I did some more research and the Goodhue County gave their deputies a pay raise, to a base level of $32.51 up $5 a hour.
The Patrol Deputy position is compensated at salary grade 112 of the Goodhue County pay scale. Base patrol pay $32.51-$50.38/hr ($67,613- $104,800 annually) as well as $950 uniform allowance annually.

Back