• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

They're baaack! Ceremonial Guard inspected by the Governor General

Spent the weekend in Ottawa and took in the fireworks on Canada day on parliament hill in the evening, after chilling out at petrie island during the day.

All in all, wicked time, minus the rain that was on and off and the power outage.

mick said:
Also, the medics in DEUs are wearing the Military Personnel Command (headed by Chief Military Personnel) badge.  CFSTG is a subordinate formation of the Canadian Defence Academy, which itself is subordinate to Military Personnel Command, according to their websites.

Thaaaaaaats what that badge was.

Don't even know if this is an appropriate place to ask it.
But what is the role of the Governor General when the Queen is actually in Canada?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceremonial_Guard

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/cg-gc/guard-garde-eng.asp

AJFitzpatrick said:
Don't even know if this is an appropriate place to ask it.
But what is the role of the Governor General when the Queen is actually in Canada?

The GG’s legal powers are reassumed by the Queen so long as she is on Canadian soil.

The GG, however, acts, on behalf of all Canadians, as HM’s host.

E.R. Campbell said:
The GG’s legal powers are reassumed by the Queen so long as she is on Canadian soil.

The GG, however, acts, on behalf of all Canadians, as HM’s host.

Admittedly, I had no idea of the correct answer.....but I suspected that either you or Old Sweat would weigh in.

Thanks much

I did two summers of the CG as a Guardsman in the mid-90s.  Never fainted.  Not even close.  The question of eating breakfast was always thrown our way as most of the time it turned out that someone who fainted didn't eat breakfast that morning.  There were many a night of partying done prior to parade or duty at the house.  Our Snr NCOs knew this, but as long as we could properly turn out in the morning for parade, they didn't care.

It is incredibly hot in the red tunic and bearskin.  One day I was on house duty when my sentry partner puked due to the heat, but carried on with his duty.  The tunic is wool and has an under-liner that is "supposed" to, key word supposed to, soak up the sweat, but on hot days the sweat goes right through to the tunic. 

On parade, especially in the Old Guard Division (single Division on its own that marches on the Hill with bayonets fixed), if someone looks like they're going to pass out, we usually whispered to them in order to get them talking.  9 out of 10 times this brought them back out of their daze and they were able to get through the parade okay.

Back