• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Via Rail Promotion For CF Members Thread

the 48th regulator said:
I for one am not opposing your statement here, what disgusts me however is how some people have decided to use this reason to defend their selfish wants and deride the gift that VIA has offered.

Totally disgusting in my opinion, hence the posts directed towards them.  They can walk into the same legion and offer to cover the fare of an older Vet, if they find it so unfair.  In fact take advantage of the free fair and take a ride on a train and visit a distant legion.

dileas

tess

Agree 100%.  :)

I think it is also important to point out that our vets are not, never have been, only the older gents from WWII.  Korea, UN and NATO operations have seen many young men and women qualify for what I deem a veteran.  FWIW, I have 19 years in, but have never fired a shot in anger so to speak.  I do not have a Vet license plate on my car either.

I am alittle confused though...I certainly appreciate the Tims' people buy for me, the VIA rail offer...its companies, people of our great country doing what they can to say thanks, to ALL members of the CF.  The clerk at the Reserve unit in B-F Nowhere's still plays a part in the Forces, and this is a kind gesture on VIA Rails' behalf to all of us in uniform.

I for one can see nothing but good in this.  I remember my father telling me stories about never having to pay for a cup of coffee anywhere's when he was in the old RCAF and in uniform travelling.  Our country and citizens, atleast most or some of whatever amount of them, are saying 'thank you for what you do!'.  I think we all know the best reply to that...a heartfelt thank you.

the 48th regulator said:
You be the judge….

Purely selfish reason, don’t hide behind the “Older Veteran” excuse, both of you were disappointed for your own selves.

Right, sure it was.  Let me guess once again we have all misinterpreted your post…..

Dileas

Tess

You apparently are the judge...

and you completely (conveniently) missed mentioning my first post:

"A recent letter written in to the Editor of the Chronicle Herald highlighted another unfortunate limitation to this offer. It was from an elderly veteran who was very excited about the chance at a free trip-until he found out he couldn't upgrade to sleeper class.  Many of our veterans-especially our more elderly veterans-are not physically able to sit overnight in a chair and so are finding that they can't take advantage of this tribute.

While I understand that we should appreciate VIA's offer and the thought behind it, I still find this particular circumstance a little sad.

Bren"

I offered this for information purposes, for what it's worth.

You can choose to make your own assumptions, or give people the benefit of the doubt and accept their intentions for what they say they are.

You've obviously made your choice, and there's not much I can do about that.

Bren

I made my choice, based on your posts.

If you had posted your first one and left it at that, sure I might believe your honourable intentions.

You blew that all away with your follow up posts.

Try as you might to get the last post in, you words have shown your true objective....

dileas

tess

:argument:

Perhaps now that both sides have had their say, we can let it go and move on?

Milnet.ca Staff

I think its great that VIA has offered this to the military, hopefully this is an indication of a change of how big business and society in Canada treats its military members. It doesn't matter if VIA even offered free upgrades, some people will always complain no matter what is offered. Now if the Canex offered Tax free sales, things would be great ;D

Stoker said:
I think its great that VIA has offered this to the military, hopefully this is an indication of a change of how big business and society in Canada treats its military members. It doesn't matter if VIA even offered free upgrades, some people will always complain no matter what is offered. Now if the Canex offered Tax free sales, things would be great ;D
Amen!  ;)
(Actually, I am a bit humbled when offered anything for being military.  I didn't join for free train rides, but I am overwhelmed by the very offer.)

Eye In The Sky said:
For those of us who have never fought on foreign soils, I agree whole heartedly;  what we do is important but not the same sacrifice as these gents made. Take the offer, or don't take it, but be thankful it was offered and stop whining about how imperfect it is.  I myself thoroughly enjoy the coffee a few people have bought and handed me as I waited in a line up at Tims', even though it wasn't what I normally order.
I agree (as another who has never been in combat).  I would disagree with the statement about the sacrifice not being the same.  Yes, the sacrifices are unique, but for 80+ Canadians, their sacrifice was ultimate.  And many more bear other scars.  Not the same, yes, agree, but I wouldn't see that the sacrifices are any less.  Just a point.

:cdn:

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
I agree (as another who has never been in combat).  I would disagree with the statement about the sacrifice not being the same.  Yes, the sacrifices are unique, but for 80+ Canadians, their sacrifice was ultimate.  And many more bear other scars.  Not the same, yes, agree, but I wouldn't see that the sacrifices are any less.  Just a point.

:cdn:

A good point, and a lesson to ensure my words are clear. 

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
Amen!  ;)
(Actually, I am a bit humbled when offered anything for being military.  I didn't join for free train rides, but I am overwhelmed by the very offer.)

In my duties, I get to travel to the US many times and its unbelieveable how the military there gets treated.  When was the last time you were waiting in line at a musem or restaurant and got taken out of the line and placed at the front in Canada? In New York city, if you are in uniform, you litterally don't pay for a beer at a bar. Now I don't expect to be treated that way, no one owes me anything, but a gesture every now and again is nice.

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
Then we had a great conversation about where I have been and how long I have served. At the end of our talk, it was he thanking me.....

Screw Air Canada, I'm going to default to the train for my leave travels from now on.

Thank you for sharing with us your experiences. I've always wondered how these promotions get people into a new habit of doing things.

It seems that it is a good opportunity to interact with a company that we don't usually interact with, and by time the interaction is over, it is a simple step to make use of the services and products.

I always thought that it was about sampling. We could sample a product and/or service, and then make technical evaluations. After that, if we were convinced and weren't opposed to change, then we could go at it. I guess that I was wrong for most situations.

I hope that Via is well aware of the way that courses are often run in the summer, so that the military and Via can coordinate on things. I don't expect that everybody would want to take the train out from Vancouver to Borden, but at least there should be an option, and military folks should be allowed to use the train for shorter trips.

Eye In The Sky said:
I for one think if anyone thinks that a vet of this type/kind doesn't deserve some consideration for a simple upgrade to accommodate their age and physical stature, please go to your local Legion, look him in the eye and explain your position and reasoning.

Why should I? Should I also look him in the eye and then tell him that he doesn't deserve free clothes from The Bay? Should I tell him that he doesn't derserve free food from Superstore? Should I tell him that he is old? What I should tell him that is true?

Just because it's true, doesn't mean that it is okay to say to his face.

They fought for our freedom, and "unfortunately", that means that we have the freedom to set our own prices. Period. That's means people can't complain about prices. It's a cold world. What would the point be of fighting to liberate us from 1 enemy, only to come back and dictate to us our prices?

What the fuck are you talking about?  Maybe you should 1) haul your head out of you ass 2) re-read my post and 3) think before you type.

eugenetswong said:
Why should I? Should I also look him in the eye and then tell him that he doesn't deserve free clothes from The Bay? Should I tell him that he doesn't derserve free food from Superstore? Should I tell him that he is old? What I should tell him that is true?

Just because it's true, doesn't mean that it is okay to say to his face.

They fought for our freedom, and "unfortunately", that means that we have the freedom to set our own prices. Period. That's means people can't complain about prices. It's a cold world. What would the point be of fighting to liberate us from 1 enemy, only to come back and dictate to us our prices?

You quite missed the whole concept of that post didn't you??

It simply sailed right over your head.

Vern  --- shakes head in amazement at some people these days ...

:brickwall:

Holy fuck over -- I say again ---

"Why should I?" Because, quite simply, it's the respectful thing to do. Get some.

Eye In The Sky said:
What the frig are you talking about?  Maybe you should 1) haul your head out of you *** 2) re-read my post and 3) think before you type.

The thing is that if you insist on these older vets getting free rides in sleeper class, then you're really arguing about prices. As it is right now, they can still take sleeper class, but they just can't do it for free. That's all.

Why should I go into a Legion and then tell them that they don't deserve free rides in sleeper class?

They don't deserve to go into a grocery store, and then get free groceries. I don't owe them an explanation for that. If I don't owe them an explanation for that, then why should I owe them an explanation for no free sleeper class?

Eye In The Sky said:
I agree with everything here in these posts that say "BZ" to Via Rail.  I do NOT agree with the opinion that a vet of say WWII who is not physcially able to go in Comfort Class overnight who can not upgrade to the Sleeper class at their own cost (if I read it correctly).  You are talking about a bunch of lads who, in the case of WW II, who did not have the luxury of 6 month tours with mandated time-offs between tours, no phone or internet contact with their families, nor the use of the excellent kit we have now.

I for one think if anyone thinks that a vet of this type/kind doesn't deserve some consideration for a simple upgrade to accommodate their age and physical stature, please go to your local Legion, look him in the eye and explain your position and reasoning.

For those of us who have never fought on foreign soils, I agree whole heartedly;  what we do is important but not the same sacrifice as these gents made.  Take the offer, or don't take it, but be thankful it was offered and stop whining about how imperfect it is.  I myself thoroughly enjoy the coffee a few people have bought and handed me as I waited in a line up at Tims', even though it wasn't what I normally order.

My 2 cents, and not intended to start a pissing contest with those of a contrary opinion.   :)

Now, if I save you the trouble and quote my own post, underline the applicable sentence and bold the key words...are you ****** capable of reading what I wrote, in the context I wrote it and not start babbling about ****** groceries and other stupid irrelevant topics??

SQ qualified eh?  I encourage you to approach your RSM and explain your overwhelming respect for the folks who have served and actually had their meat on the line, young and old, male and female, to make your home province of BC safe enough that you can enjoy the freedom to post your jibberish on Army.ca on a Saturday evening.  I would actually encourage you to go down to a Legion some night, and talk to some of these outstanding Canadians and see if your opinion might not change then.

If it didn't, I can tell you you would not want to be in any unit with me.

Eye In The Sky said:
Now, if I save you the trouble and quote my own post, underline the applicable sentence and bold the key words...are you ****** capable of reading what I wrote, in the context I wrote it and not start babbling about ****** groceries and other stupid irrelevant topics??

I will say that I am partially sorry, because even when I reread the sentence, I still misread the context. However, I still think that it is up to Via Rail to choose what to do here. They have their own costs and promotions and what have you. However, I still stand by what I said.

When I read about how vets derserve this and that, I get the impression that we owe it to them. I get the impression that people are saying that companies are obligated to give back that benefit to the vets. Granted, it is a very kind gesture to give these gifts, and we should show our appreciation. However, from everybody's tone of voice, I don't think that we are talking about gifts. We are talking about what the vets have rightfully earned.

That's why I think that groceries and other products are very applicable here.

Also, my point was that we shouldn't have to look people in the eye and tell them that they don't deserve this or that, because it's bad etiquette to always say certain things. You don't have to lie or sugar coat things. You just focus on the positives, and don't bring up the negatives. Do you need to tell a fat stranger that she is fat, if she never asks? If she is fat, then it would be a true statement. Why would she want to hear the facts from you?

I think it is really great of VIA to offer free travel for the military for the month of July.  Which is probably their high season!  And I can understand why sitting up for days on end might not be everyone's cup of tea. And for some it is physically not possible.  Why can't you travel for the day, get off stay in a hotel, and then get back on the next day (or whenever you want to) and then travel to the next town.  Or someone like myself, that does NOT want to travel by train across the country, but wouldn't mind taking a short trip.  But I may not ever take them up on their offer, but I still appreciate the offer.
I think it is great way for them to say thank you and if you are unable to, for whatever reason, it still doesn't take away from the generous offer.  
I work retail everyday, some are very grateful when they get a deal and some are never satisfied.
You cannot please all of the people all of the time!
THANK YOU VIA!!!!

Boy, some people just don't get it.

As always, if you have something plausible and pertinent to add or discuss, contact a Mod, for posting. Take your personal bitches to PM and leave the majority out of your personal biases.

Locked.

Milnet.ca Staff

Back