• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Via Rail Promotion For CF Members Thread

a78jumper said:
... Bring your own ham sangies as well.....

They'd be pretty rancid after a cross-country journey no??!!  :-X

As to the other ...  8) (I've travelled Via before).

this is awesome.  I'm not driving anywhere in Ontario during July.  Maybe I'll do a cross country journey!

I predict that Via will be busy this afternoon with bookings, as the weekend starts. We plan on a backpack of food using a combination of ice packs and nonperishable foods. There is a 17hour lay over in Toronto and a 4hours lay over in Edmonton, so we have more than enough time to stock up for the 2-3 days on the train between stops. We have not seen the train prices for food like Vern mentioned, but we have seen airport and airline prices and anticpated that Via's onboard prices would cost far too much.

The same line of thought, "most comfort seats will be filled in July, might as well close the military down for the month" crossed my mind as well.  I like the idea of every car being designated as the "bar car".  ;D

kratz said:
The same line of thought, "most comfort seats will be filled in July, might as well close the military down for the month" crossed my mind as well.  I like the idea of every car being designated as the "bar car".   ;D

I'll have my euro pass all of July,Copenhagen is a lot nicer this that time of year than Sudbury anyway!

kratz said:
I predict that Via will be busy this afternoon with bookings, as the weekend starts. We plan on a backpack of food using a combination of ice packs and nonperishable foods. There is a 17hour lay over in Toronto and a 4hours lay over in Edmonton, so we have more than enough time to stock up for the 2-3 days on the train between stops. We have not seen the train prices for food like Vern mentioned, but we have seen airport and airline prices and anticpated that Via's onboard prices would cost far too much.

The same line of thought, "most comfort seats will be filled in July, might as well close the military down for the month" crossed my mind as well.  I like the idea of every car being designated as the "bar car".   ;D

Your closest grocery store to Union Station in TO is the Loblaws on Queen's Quay , just east of the Toronto Star Building and the LCBO. If you stock up there last minute it would be about a $6 or $7 cab back to the Station.

plus there's plenty of little places to grab food all around Union station

There is a Rabba on Front a couple of blocks East of Union. I think it's a closer trip by foot than the Lawblaws. However, if time isn't an issue, there are more economical places to go I'm sure.

Definitely gonna jump on this, just need to find out my leave period in July. Woot!  free trip to Edmonton from Halifax !!  8)

Scorch said:
Definitely gonna jump on this, just need to find out my leave period in July. Woot!  free trip to Edmonton from Halifax !!   8)

You must not mind sleeping in a seat for three nights. :( My one and only train trip was from Halifax to Shilo.

The last big trip I took by train was from Halifax to Ottawa, my GF and I sat in "Comfort Class" on the way up.  We damn near killed each other, not comfortable at all, combine that with (me) no sleep and her(no problem sleeping) drooling all over me, it was an unpleasant trip. 

The first thing I did when we arrived home at her parents place was upgrade to a double bedroom, the trip back was much more relaxing and enjoyable.
I will only ride comfort class for a few hours, anything longer and you need a berth or a bedroom.  We still damn near killed each other, but this time it was different  ;)

I wish VIA would offer Military personnel a chance to upgrade to a bedroom, I would love to take my family over the Rockies, there is no way 3 kids are going to sit still for 23 hours from Vancouver to Edmonton in "Comfort Class"

I like long trips on trains but in comfort class it's probably not a good idea, still it's free so you definetly can't complain. Great idea on VIA Rail's part :D and it's good to see private corporations appreciating what the troops do

No complaining, and I would not expect VIA to offer up the sleepers for free as all that would do is drive them further under! 

Now if only Air Canada/WestJet/BC FERRIES would get onboard....

Question:

What proof of service does VIA Rail require for free travel for veterans?

VIA has made a few changes to the 'conditions' noted in post #7.

They have amended their conditions to spell out what ID they would accept.  For retired military, they now specify a 'Record of Service Card' NDI75, or a VAC card; and they noted that Club XTRa holders who are RCMP or with the Corps of Commissionaires are not eligible.  Until they zeroed in on the NDI75, they must have been fielding a lot of calls from retired military.  It would be interesting to see if the poor fellow at NDHQ who handles the NDI75 submissions has been having a busier spring than usual.

The new conditions, on VIA's web site, specify;

"...Qualifying adult passenger is defined as any adult 18 years of age or older who is in possession of either a valid DND photo identification card, Canadian Military Record of Service card (ND175), any Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) benefit card, Dependent ID card, or Canex "Club XTra" card. Note that offer is not open to Canex Club XTra card holders who are members of the Canadian Corps of Commissionaires, nor to members of the RCMP....."

Record of Service card

If you are honourably releasing after 10 or more years of CF service and are entitled to an immediate annuity, you will now receive an NDI 75 ROS card at the time of your release.

As a retired member, you can use the plasticized card as a record of service and as a means of identification. It’s a continuing link between you and the organization, and can be used to access DND/CF recreational facilities IAW local procedures.

If you elect retirement leave, you remain a CF member until that leave expires. For this period of retirement leave you will be issued a temporary ID card (NDI 10) that will expire when your retirement leave expires. By that time, you will have received your permanent ROS card.

If you do not elect retirement leave, you cease to be a CF member the day of your release. During your final release interview, you will turn in your CF ID card and receive a temporary ROS card, which will include your surname, given name, rank and length of service, a photo from your personal file, and an expiry date six months after your release date. The temporary ROS card will be plasticized by your Release Cell. You must destroy this card when you receive your permanent ROS card.

You may direct questions about the ROS card—temporary and permanent—to Maj Wendy Barlow (DMCARM 4 Rel & Pension) at (613) 992-1198.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/cfpn/engraph/4_04/4_04_ready-for-release_e.asp#post

The one link I found

dileas

tess

What options are available for veterans with less than 10 years of service?

Back